512 MB Nvidia cards - 8500 & 7600 problems

widowmaker007

8 posts in this topic

I've build 2 different machines this week and I've run into a strange problem on both of them.

My first attempt was sort of a salvage job, with mostly existing pieces from a PC I had - just replaced the MB/CPU with an ECS 945GCT-M/1333 and E4500 combo that was on sale at Fry's. That machine has 2GB of ram, 500gb SATA HD and SATA DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe. The Video in it was a Geforce 7600 512MB, which I had to modify the ROM on (following the instructions at NVInject). Bootloader recognizes the card correctly now. With OSX "plain jane" setup (no drivers installed from Kalyway), the card wasn't fully recognized in OSX. QE/CI were not enabled. I installed the latest NVInject (0.2.1). The card is now fully recognized in OSX (10.5.2 now) and QE/CI are both active.

My second machine was mostly a start from scratch. Same MB/CPU combo from Fry's. Brand new Seagate 500gb SATA HD. I did recycle an IDE DVD Burner. 2 GB of Dual Channel memory. Bought a brand new GeForce 8500 512MB card, which according to everything I've read doens't need the patch. Oddly enough, the card only shows up as 14MB in Darwin. Once we boot to OSx, it shows up as 512MB with QE/CI enabled.

With both machines, I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 with NOTHING selected except the MBR bootloader. OSx boots wonderfully, but the card isn't fully recognized and so I only get 1024x768 display and no QE/CI.

So, with both, I installed the latest NVInject (0.2.1). Now, however, when I boot, I get the apple logo with the spinning wheel. That's when things go crazy. ON my first machine, with the 7600, the screen goes black, and actually ends up going into standby because it thinks it's getting no input for 1-2 minutes (about 1:30 when I timed it yesterday). On the new machine with the 8500, the apple logo stays up and the spinning wheel stops spinning. Again for 1-2 minutes, then the desktop comes up and everything runs perfectly.

It's a minor inconvenience at this point - I don't see any performance issues. Both machines seem to run flawlessly, there's just this huge delay on boot that is tripping me out. It ONLY happens after installing the latest NVInject.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is there something I'm missing that's causing this?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually found a kernel update here from Kalyway that fixed my problem. Apparently the Kalyway 10.5.2 update was mucking something up, and so he released another update which fixed my problem.

Both cards were running VGA, FWIW.

Make sure you remove AppleHWSensor.kext if you have it in your extensions folder, this will solve your boot delay.

Could this also help my 8800GTS 512MB?

I get random scrambled graphics during cold boot and restart.

I've tried everything - latest drivers, NVInject, graphics string - nothing seems to cure it.

Usually, when I restart, the scrambled graphics get cured, but not always.

Should a graphics card either work all the time or not at all? But occasionally???