Will I be able to install Leopard on SAS drive?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Do you guys think if I were to install OS X on a normal SATA drive, and duplicate that drive onto the SAS drive it would work? I've somewhat tried something similar. There's no problem booting with that card from the BIOS of my motherboard, but I need the OS to be able to be on there somehow. I hope I'm getting close...thoughts about this anyone? Has anyone succesfully installed OS X leopard on a SAS drive, if so, which controller card was used? After talking to tech support, it appears that Mac Pro RAID card has some proprietary options that other controller card companies can't seem to bypass.

vladthebad

vladthebad

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
gramarye, getting the darwin bootloader onto the SAS drive may be the harder part.

What I want to see is someone figure out how to make the darwin bootloader let us boot off of any drive, including its own.... that'd be nice.

As far as other ideas, DD the drive in linux from a SATA drive to the SAS drive.... not the data, the entire drive (image will be size of entire drive capacity)

Or, what about instead of burning the installer disk, just restore the install disk to a SATA or IDE drive..... then add your SAS drivers or .kext or whatnot to the install drive.... then run the install drive to install onto the SAS drive?

What SAS controller are you using? does it show up as a non-boot drive?

Is OSX supposedly bootable off of it? or do other drivers have to be loaded first....

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
vladthebad, I thank you so much for these ideas/suggestions/responses you have. It certainly gives me so much more hope in this project! I will try and do everything I can to make this possible. I was quite surprised that there weren't as many SAS drivers in this community as I had expected. Also, nice hearing you in the 8-Core motheraboard thread   :(

Here are my responses to your suggestions:

gramarye, getting the darwin bootloader onto the SAS drive may be the harder part.

What I want to see is someone figure out how to make the darwin bootloader let us boot off of any drive, including its own.... that'd be nice.

I agree, any ideas on how to go about this? (could I be doing a process wrong?) I feel like that's all I really need in order for this to work. Having this bootloader feature on any drive would be nice.

1) Duplicate/Clone drive in SuperDuper and CarbonCopyCloner
2) Restart
3) Select SAS Drive in BIOS to boot off

It's pretty much just the blinking dash, which means theres no bootloader, or the OS is not a startup

For some reason, how come it does not work whenever I try the Drive cloning/duplication method in SuperDuper, CarbonCopyCloner. Is that the right result? or am I choosing the wrong setup.

As far as other ideas, DD the drive in linux from a SATA drive to the SAS drive.... not the data, the entire drive (image will be size of entire drive capacity)

What does "DD" mean? (Duplicate?) This will be my the last of the others as far as priorities go. I have never ins
alled Linux before, I have you to try, but knowing I might have to turn this rou
e, I will this will be my last attempt. I'm just so very fortunate that are still possibilities. (I've checked-off too many already!)

...Or, what about instead of burning the installer disk, just restore the install disk to a SATA or IDE drive..... then add your SAS drivers or .kext or whatnot to the install drive.... then run the install drive to install onto the SAS drive?

This method sounds sort of like the slipstreaming method I was recommended. In a way, I would be implementing the drivers to my installation somehow. I am VERY interested in this workaround, if you could share a bit more details on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate this. I have spare drives around, and I would definitely sacrifice them just for this to work.

1) Restore Leopard Installation disc to spare SATA drive
2) Add drivers neccessary to the respective installation folder location (it's only one file) < but Where? and How?
3) Choose drive to Boot off of in BIOS
4) Installation procedures like usual, and hopefully the SAS drive will show up?

maybe I can even add the usual programs I work with too, that would be awesome

What SAS controller are you using? does it show up as a non-boot drive?

Is OSX supposedly bootable off of it? or do other drivers have to be loaded first....

My SAS Controller is the ATTO Tech H308 ExpressSAS Adapter

This adapter is native-boots for Windows and as for Mac OS X, the native booting feature is in production, or in the works, I will find out the ETA soon, and I'll report back. However, the company is guarenteeing this feature sometime in the future. They say it's something in Apple's EFI that makes their RAID card so proprietary.

I'm not able to see the Disks connected to the controller at Disk Utility during Installation because I'd need the drivers installed first. (If it was as easy as Vista, where there is an option that allows "Load Drivers" in Installation, that would be great)

Since my computer is able to boot the drives (since the BIOS detects it), all I need basically, from this point, is to install the OS on there and I should be fine. There are no booting problems, and my motherboard and BIOS detects these drives natively. 

vlad1966

vlad1966

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Computers (especially Macs) OS X, sports cars (fast cars in general), blondes.
I'll be keeping an eye on this one, since I'd love to be able to use a SAS HDD as my boot drive, and that ATTO controller isn't that expensive @ about $300.

gramarye, please keep us updated . . .

vladthebad

vladthebad

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
carbon copy cloner doesn't work... doesn't grab the bootloader... tried that one myself.

DD'ing the drive in linux SHOULD work by all rights and reasons... but frankly, unless you're a linux person it may end up being a real pain in the rear....

So lets look more in depth at the slipstreaming option.

Step by step

Getting the image
put install disk in optical drive (or better yet, grab the .dmg that you used before you burned it...)
If you don't have the DMG, use disk utility to make you an image of the disk.

Restoring the image
plug in spare 15-20 gig junk drive, doesn't matter really..... (Note: if you do this first, you don't need to restart here in the middle)
go into disk utility, format it hfs+, yada yada, mbr, yada yada, and now go to restore.
drag install disk .dmg from left pane on window to source, drag 15-20gig junk drive to destination.

and go.

Wait a good while for it to finish.

Reboot computer off of the junk drive to make sure it gets you into the installer. Depending on the OSX86 version you're using here.... you may need to bless your junk drive using the bless command, and then set the MBR using fdisk in terminal before it will be bootable.

OK.... so assuming we have a bootable junk drive that now acts like an install disk....

go find your drivers, and put them onto the junk drive. make any .kext modifications you need, etc etc....
blow away the .kextcache and .mkext so it will re-load and re-cache all the extensions on boot...

boot off your junk drive.... and it should see your SAS drives, or whatever other drives you've got connected (you may have to go into disk utility, then quit, then go back into disk utility....)

Now getting it to actually boot off of that SAS drive may end up being a bit more difficult, I don't know.... but we won't know until we try a slipstreamed installer.

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
So far, I'm with you on every step:

1) Get the .DMG image file of installation disc (I have both Retail and Kalyway OSx86)
2) Restore image on to spare drive (Go to Utilities > Disk Utility to perform this action)
3) In Disk Utility, format spare drive in HFS+ and make it an MBR(?) partition < (I've always done GUID, this will be my first MBR partition)
4) Click on 'Restore' tab, Drag Installation Disc (.DMG image) to "Source", and drag spare drive to "Destination"
5) Now click "Restore"
6) Restart computer
7) Set BIOS to boot off of spare drive (doing this process will confirm if it ta
es me to the installer)
Perform "bless" command if necessary to set the MBR to be bootable

If the above action is successful:
8) Add SAS controller drivers to... < (This is where I get lost)

go find your drivers, and put them onto the junk drive. make any .kext modifications you need, etc etc....
blow away the .kextcache and .mkext so it will re-load and re-cache all the extensions on boot...

I have only have 1 driver file from the CD:

"ATTOExpressSASHBA_100.pkg"

1) Where do I place this file in the spare drive?
2) What .kext modifcations I'm supposed to perform, or I need to do?
3) Where can I find ".kextcache" and ".mkext" to remove it?

~

carbon copy cloner doesn't work... doesn't grab the bootloader... tried that one myself.

Thanks for informing me about carbon copy cloner, I thought I was doing something wrong. (I can now stop trying to CCC the drive in alternative methods every night)

DD'ing the drive in linux SHOULD work by all rights and reasons... but frankly, unless you're a linux person it may end up being a real pain in the rear....

Should the above attempts not work, I will take the LINUX route. I'm so determined to do this, I'll take whatever pain I must endure!

vladthebad, thank you thank you, again you've given me so much more hope is this project

Are you interested in an NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT 256mb Dual-DVI Graphics Adapter?

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I think I might just have to take the LINUX route...Anything specific I should prepare for other than a Linux OS installation disk and DD Command? (I obviously don't know what I'm talking about, Linus is so foreign to me :\ )

Which Linux I'm supposed to download? I guess that would be a good start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy