HP 8510W Workstation Laptop

silent_death911

25 posts in this topic

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any success with this laptop installing OSX 10.5. I'm downloading the v10.5.1 Kalyway Release at the moment. What version you used, what you installed...things like that. I've seen people having success with laptops with very similar specs but no one has this exact same one. Also, what problems do you think I will encounter with it (Chances are I'm going to be encountering some...). Thanks for any input ahead of time.

• 3 months later...
Just wanted to know if anyone has had any success with this laptop installing OSX 10.5. I'm downloading the v10.5.1 Kalyway Release at the moment. What version you used, what you installed...things like that. I've seen people having success with laptops with very similar specs but no one has this exact same one. Also, what problems do you think I will encounter with it (Chances are I'm going to be encountering some...). Thanks for any input ahead of time.

hello

did ya manage?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Install works on Kalyway 10.5.2 BUT there's no network whatsoever (Intel 4965ABG and Intel 82566 gigabit adapter) and there's no video driver yet (Nvidia Quadro FX 570).

Doesn't the FX570M has a 8600M GT core, the same as in Macbook Pro's?

I'm getting a HP 8510w for my study and, since I love OS X, I'd like to run it on my laptop so I'm looking for any possible complications I could encounter. So far the CPU (E9300) the GPU (FX570M same as 8600M GT??) the wireless (4965AGN; see below) the sound (AD1981HD; see below) should work. I haven't done any testing yet, though, because I don't have the laptop yet :(

drivers for wireless (in development)

drivers for sound (possibly with some auto-mute issue)

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed iAtkos v2 but sound, net and 3D acceleration is not working..

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have just installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 release onto my HP Compaq 8510w with the following results:

No sound and no network (wired OR wireless).

The display runs at it's native resolution (1920x1200 / Millions of colours) - I'm not sure about 3D acceleration...

Power management works correctly.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have just installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 release onto my HP Compaq 8510w with the following results:

No sound and no network (wired OR wireless).

The display runs at it's native resolution (1920x1200 / Millions of colours) - I'm not sure about 3D acceleration...

Power management works correctly.

Hi!

I have HP 8510W but my video is ATI HD2600.

What install method and drivers you selected?

And any trick???

I probe JAS 10.5.4, but many errors on boot......

Thanks!

roberTO

Hi ppl

Got a 8510w and installed kalyway 10.5.2

For sound i have used AppleAzalianAudioAD1981 installer package Internal speakers working now with mute and volume control

For Video i used NVinjectGo 2.0 which gave me detection of the grapic card have resolution of 1680 x 1050 core image is software and quartz extreme not supportted but my vga out works well.

Also the onboard bluetooth works OOB

Only no network

Gonna get a USB dommel if someone know one which give OOB airport i like to hear it

Greatings RuUB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

in case somebody is intrested used this method and it worked

HP 8510W

Install Method: Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD (Vanilla Kernel)

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo Processor

RAM: 2GB DDR2

Audio: Onboard Working (AppleAzaliaAudioADI1981)

LAN: Intel 82566MM Working

Video Nvidia Quadro 570 Working QE/All resolutions(NVInstallerV.41)

Bluetooth Working

Cardbus Working (IOPCCardFamily_chunnan_Leopard_rev8)

Install Steps: Install Kalyway 10.5.2 (Vanilla Kernel)

Install Disk boot takes 20-30 Mins till it gets to the Installer

1) Leave custom options as default (Dont select video drivers)

2) After installer is finished dont restart open terminal and install (IOPCCardFamily_chunnan_Leopard_rev8) Kexts. This removes the long boot times due to hardware probing.

3) Install Audio Driver, Lan Driver and NVinstaller for Video

From: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...0.5.2/Portables

8510w_Leopard_kexts.zip

• 1 month later...

@RuUb: Thanks for sharing your knowledge and files !

I am very new - and thus having difficulties installing the kexts.

Could you share how you installed the kexts for a newbie ?

....or a just a link that explains how to install the kexts.

Do I just have to drop them in the kexts folder or do I have to to "activate" them somehow.

What do I do with the plists ...

Sorry for probably stupid questions and

Thanks for any suggestions !

• 1 month later...
in case somebody is intrested used this method and it worked

From: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...0.5.2/Portables

RuUb thanks to your files I was able to get rid of the long boot issue and get the video fixing, however the Network is not working, what driver should I be using? I notices there is a network file but it is not a kext, how to loaded it?

Please, please any help would be very appreciated.

FYI, I also installed IPC 10.5.6 and I was able to get networking working, however once I apply the long boot patches, my network card stop functioning.

I also have bunch of questions, if anybody have suggestions.

1) For the shutdown, how did you guys fix it? the OS does shutdown but the laptop stays on?

2) The fan stays on even if it does not get hot, is there a fix for this?

3) Finally any suggestion for a 3rd party wireless card that you use instead of the nonworking built in one?

Thanks a bunch

RuUb thanks to your files I was able to get rid of the long boot issue and get the video fixing, however the Network is not working, what driver should I be using? I notices there is a network file but it is not a kext, how to loaded it?

Please, please any help would be very appreciated.

FYI, I also installed IPC 10.5.6 and I was able to get networking working, however once I apply the long boot patches, my network card stop functioning.

I also have bunch of questions, if anybody have suggestions.

1) For the shutdown, how did you guys fix it? the OS does shutdown but the laptop stays on?

2) The fan stays on even if it does not get hot, is there a fix for this?

3) Finally any suggestion for a 3rd party wireless card that you use instead of the nonworking built in one?

Thanks a bunch

Hi

I think this is what is used for the networking on 10.5.2

And for 10.5.6 what kext do you used for the long boot fix becouse everything i tried gave me kernel panics or other strange things. So i'm still on 10.5.2. And after i got the boot lag done i will try the fixes on the iPC distro like shutdown fix and maby someting for the fan. For the wireless i cant realy say im now waiting for http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/ becouse they are developing an airport like wireless driver.

But if you want it earlyer i think your best bet is replacing your build in wireless with the broadcom card hp is also offering. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...odTypeId=321957 im not sure but i tought i red somwhere that that card is detecte OOB as airport.

Regard RuUb

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Hi

I think this is what is used for the networking on 10.5.2

And for 10.5.6 what kext do you used for the long boot fix becouse everything i tried gave me kernel panics or other strange things. So i'm still on 10.5.2. And after i got the boot lag done i will try the fixes on the iPC distro like shutdown fix and maby someting for the fan. For the wireless i cant realy say im now waiting for http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/ becouse they are developing an airport like wireless driver.

But if you want it earlyer i think your best bet is replacing your build in wireless with the broadcom card hp is also offering. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...odTypeId=321957 im not sure but i tought i red somwhere that that card is detecte OOB as airport.

Regard RuUb

Hello RuUb,

Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciated.

For IPC 10.5.6 long boot, I used the same IOPCCardFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily attached to your comment and they took care of the long boot.

The Network Card was recognized using the Intel82566MM, however, after I apply the long boot time, I loose network connectivity, I have no idea why.

I just tried, the latest IOPC kext for 10.5.6 and my system wouldn't boot, from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry999039

I am not gonna give up :)

next step, I am gonna remove the latest IOPC that broke 10.5.7 apply v8 and try to install the network kext you just attached.

I hope there are more supports for this laptop model, well well, we'll figure it out.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Dani

Update:

RuUb, I tried the network driver you attached on 10.5.6 along with the boot fix, again the network card was not detected, I also noticed that with the power management pkg from IPC, the fan was working correctly, it's lame that I couldn't make it work arghhhh....

I am going to go back to 10.5.2 to at least get the network card working.

Dani

• 1 month later...

i manage get some driver working. LAN able work and sound. However the LAN connection will be gone after didnt use fro a while even the LAN plug in. Have too restart then back normal

I am using 10.5.6 but I think not IPC,Ideneb,Aitkos..or Retail. However it work on it. Look like pure Mac OS X.

Let me try the pkg file that Hex see can work well or not.

Hopefully someone get the 4965 AGN workable.

• 4 months later...

Hey there!

I am also trying to get OSx86 installed on my 8510w but so far I've been unsuccessful!

iAtkos, iPC and Kalyway all fail on me!

Final message is always "diskarbitrationd[44] unable to mount /dev/disk0s1

Someone else who has this problem, or better, someone who has a solution for me?

Thanks!

Hey there!

I am also trying to get OSx86 installed on my 8510w but so far I've been unsuccessful!

iAtkos, iPC and Kalyway all fail on me!

Final message is always "diskarbitrationd[44] unable to mount /dev/disk0s1

Someone else who has this problem, or better, someone who has a solution for me?

Thanks!

Hello!

I want to let you know I did managed to get Kalyway (Vanilla Kernel) installed after some fiddling. Sound is partially working (internal speaker do work; line-out/line-in and built in mic don't work)

Wireless LAN ofcourse isn't working. LAN is working; I didn't have any problems with disconnecting so far. We'll see how long it works.

NVIDIA Graphic card is working; with 3d acceleration I believe!

HDMI port is partially working; when I plug in my TV it detecs the TV (as SAMSUNG) but unfortuantly my TV doesn't show any image. Perhaps someone here has managed to get it working?

Only true pain is the WLAN not working, hopefully there will be drivers soon or else I'll get me a new card. And the line-out is a pity.

Okay quickreply;

Bluetooth was working, I could even connect my phone. Unfortunately it isn't very reliable.. perhaps the OSX update to .5.8 (I currently have .5.6)

Does anyone know if it is safe to update to .5.8 without screwing up the system?

Hi

There is a user called HexHex on this forum who is also running 10.6. He also made the installer package for 10.5.7, and it allowed me to install and work with OSx with only no WLAN and some battery issues.

He is not very active here anymore but you could try ask him some things.

sinnsyk

PS: you should have a external hard disk as a time machine, so you can backup anytime you want. I believe it keeps all system info, so it is worth the try of at least backing up

• 3 months later...

Install for 8510w with Quadro 570m

1. Download retail 10.5.6, boot-132 generic, hex hex installer, nvinstaller v52, Pcwiz 1-click installer (universal osx86 installer)

A. Put hex hex, nvinstaller, and 1-click on thumbdrive

2. Burn image of osx on mac with disk tools (DMG on DL DVD)

3. Get boot-132 burn image to CD/DVD (use generic)

4. boot it! replace 132 with your osx leo at prompt (use usb kbd until you have installed hex hex driver pkg)

5. boot takes abt 10 mins... install GUID option... reboot

6. boot to new osx install with boot-132 again and connect your thumbdrive to open usb port (drive 80 option or whatever drive you used)

7. once in osx install all hex hex driver except nvidia, install 1-click (install to your osx, check install pc_efi, apply efi string for 8600gt 256Mb) REBOOT! (Don't need boot-132 anymore)

8. Once rebooted into OSX install nvinstaller vanilla

This will give you HW accel with full CI/QE+rotation, and you can use the online updater to 10.5.8

ATM I am using a netgear WG111v3 usb dongle for internet which will get me through til I can edit my bios to accept a Broadcom apple airport card.

PS - For some reason the hex hex installer does not work for video acceleration (full ci/qe) on my 8510w. Possibly it is due to the fact that I have the latest bios which changes the vid card bios also, but not sure.