Mac Os X 10.4.11 on a Compaq Evo N610C Laptop

__Dragon__

58 posts in this topic

retrorandy, when i reinstall and get it all back to normal i will attempt to get qe working again, ci will never work unless you can change the video card on the system. if i get it running i will do another tutorial on how i got it to work.

Cool deal I understand that CI will never work because of a hardware limitation. Sort of a bummer there's no easy way to replace a videocard in a laptop. I'm pretty happy though with just QE.

I pretty much got my QE working from following the guide for the IBM laptop videocard section including I believe loading in the Radeontool which he provided in his rapidshare attachment. The only thing I think I ended up doing differently is manually deleting and installing the ATI Radeon & OpenGL files also included in the attachment.

Just an updated I re-installed to 10.4.11 and got QE working by following the IBM guide documentation/directions on video & the attached files in the post. So manually loading Radeon, OpenGL, the Calisto Drivers, editing the AGPART Plist to 1a31, and all the other drivers in the 7500 Pack through Pacifist. Also, on my 10.5.11 install I skipped some of the networking changes Dragon suggested. I personally only selected: AppleIntel8255x.kext. Then again I have the cheapy Airlink USB card & driver that works fine for me. You might end up using different hardware.

I now have (for me) the ultimate triple boot of: Windows XP, BeOS, and Mac OS X x86

• 2 weeks later...

I have offically switched to XxX OS 10.4.11 install disc rev.2, it has more drivers then the original. if you are using XxX OS 10.4.11 install disc, i suggust you to switch to the new one. it has the drivers for almost everything but one. the pcmcia (pccard bus). which is not hard to fix. AND YES!! i got qe working again with only changing 2 things. one i had to add agpgert.kext (i forgot to select it from the install) and edit it and the com.apple.boot.plist. after that qe was working lol. there is one thing i hate about it is that you can not unselect verbmose mode. other then that everything works great.

Maybe you can write down exactly which drivers you had choosen from the XxX OS 10.4.11 install disc rev.2?

That would be very nice! Or maybe a screenshot would be very helpfull...

I know how to edit the agpgart.kext, but i'm unsure wich driver i have to pick...

thank you!

I had a heck of a time trying to track down the files for QE on the 7500. Oddly enough I managed to download the 7500 pack from this message thread about an IBM laptop:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83073

The actual download guide/files were from a rapidshare link (which in itself can be a tricky service to try and download things from):

http://rapidshare.de/files/38401034/Guide.zip.html

Hi Retrorandy, I was wondering if you would be able to upload the 7500 pack as it is no longer available on the rapidshare link you provided.

Thanx in advance... :blink:

Hi, I have upgraded to to the XxX rev 2 and everything is working so far so good apart from one thing, i was trying to burn a cd using disk utility and the burn button was grayed out so i thought i was doing something wrong so i downloaded dragon burner 4 and it kept image write. I have checked in system profiler under disc burning it says 'No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly'' is anyone else having this problem with the evo n610c if not that any help to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

ok i have been searching the net for some more information on these compaq evo n610c's. well i found out that the video res will only go up to 1024X768. this is what i know for now. but if i come upo to any more things that is related to this laptop i will post it. oh there is something else the video card, i noticed that there are 2 device id numbers. 1a31 and 4c57. if anyone tries the other device id and gets it working tell me so i can try something else to see if i can get ci working.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to wal-mart today and got this usb blue tooth chip, well i got it installed on windows so i decided to see if it worked on mac ( it says it works for mac 10.3 and up ) well it does. i plugged it in and turned on my laptop. guess what? i didn't have to configure it to work it was like it came with it already installed.the name of the product is iogear. it was 19.98 and it works like a charm. this is just an update to what i got working.

• 3 months later...

Any development with this at all? I know the topic is old-- but I've gotten nearly everything to work perfectly (WiFi card works well), save for sleep; which is VERY important to me! Additionally the laptop seems to run a little warm... does removing thermal kexts help as well? Has anybody installed Leopard on their machines? What kindof performance are you seeing?

I don't know if leopard work on an Compaq evo n610c, but i had tested a few install dvds and the installer disc is restarting endless... (during the install process)

Maybe anybody here around know how to fix this...

I don't know if leopard work on an Compaq evo n610c, but i had tested a few install dvds and the installer disc is restarting endless... (during the install process)

Maybe anybody here around know how to fix this...

Hi, i have evo610c and i tried to install XXX 10.4.11. rev2, and i keep getting (your computer needs to be rebooted) at the start when the little apple is about to load.

Could someone PLEASE tell me which DRIVERS needs to be checked? i installed 3 times!!! and it only booted with the CD inside the laptop. YES, it booted into OSX with the install cd inside. when i removed the CD, it just constantly rebooted before the apple logo appeared.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have the n610c, and I was wondering why it keeps overheating. I have it lifted off my desk space so it has some airflow, and it keeps just turning off during the installation. This time, I only had 12 minutes left :huh: maybe i can let it cool down and get back to it.

EDIT: It must be a panic, because it keeps turning off during install. I was trying iDeneb, leopard, and I will tell you guys that it WILL NOT WORK. I am burning Kalyway, and downloading Tiger too, Ill keep it updated with my progress. Also, you must burn iDeneb at 8x, dont do it at 16x. Just some advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool that someone is trying to run Leopard on this machine. It took me forever to figure out/get OS 10.4.11 working perfectly so after that I've been terrified to mess with it.

It does run hot (full throttle) on the Hackintosh side because I never figured out how to get the speedstep CPU thingy to work correctly. I'm super reluctant to mess with anything in that it was such a huge pain for me to get 10.4.11 (especially QE) working properly.

I'm very curious to see what your success rate will be. I imagine the low end video card (by today's standards) would really hamper a Leopard installation.

Overall, after buying this laptop used/refurbished on Ebay (can't beat the cheap price of powerful P4's) quite a few months ago I've been very happy with how durable (I've even dropped it twice) of a laptop its been. Reading about the heating issues did freak me out a bit, but I always try to keep the vent at the bottom clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Nick...that's great news. I might just have to download Leopard JAS & give it a whirl on the laptop. I wonder if I jump through the same driver hoops as I did in Tiger I could at least get QE working? I swear my shorts are going to catch on fire from how hot this dang laptop is right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Evo N1000c from a friend for 20 bucks and was able to get XxX 10.4.11 running great on it. I never got QE working but Im goign to mess with AGPgart when I get a chance later. The hardware looks similar as I have a P4M with SSE2, a 30GB drive, a DVD-ROM/CDRW, and a Mobile Radeon 7500. Under XP its pretty fast with only 256 mb of ram, and under Mac its very speedy as well.

Even thought I never got QE working, OpenGL works great on it. I was able to mess around with OEcake (2D physics sandbox) under texture mode.

If you want to upgrade the ram to 1 GB, check this link out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145482

If you also want to upgrade to a larger harddrive, heres one I'm going to order soon:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148128

Durability wise, its incredible. When I bought it, it had already suffered a few nasty little drops. Most recently, it slid off my bed with a wireless card in the side, and even after landing on the card and destroying the pcmcia slot, it still works fine. Only thing I have problems with is the fan. It cools the laptop fine for the most part, but because of its age its very loud and buzzes whenever XP loads up, but dies down afterwards.

If anyone knows what kind of MiniPCI wireless card is compatible with Tiger, please let me know. Im thinking of installing one. I'd even be happy with 802.11/b.

I've tried on a n610c Leopard JaS 10.5.4 and it worked perfectly everything except the grafics no qe/ci

Hey Nick, can you tell me the trick Leopard JAS 10.5.4 running on an evo n610c ?

I've got the boot-loop, or it hangs after the little apple appears.

Thank you and greetings from Germany !

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I want to install Mac OS X 10.4.8 (JaS). Does it work on Comaq Evo N600c with 384 MB of RAM?

Or Compaq Evo N610c is a different system?

Sorry for my English, I am not good at it.

Greetings, Robin.

No you cant becouse it's a P3 and doesn't have sse2