Nearly Finished - Hac Pro

aqua-mac

91 posts in this topic

Hi aqua-mac,thanks in advance.Sorry but I have another problem: when I click on "About this mac.." and "More information" I have this message: (sorry for italian):Si è verificato un errore durante la raccolta delle informazioni.In English; There was an error while gathering this information.I have a ASRock 1333-D667 Mobo with 2Gb RAM, 250 Gb SATA HD, NVidia 7300 GT 256 Mb.Any idea?Many thanks and best regards.AndreaSorry I forgotten: Leo 10.5.1 with PC_EFI and Vanilla Kernell.ByeAndrea

Hi Ingab,That is strange, you could try this SMBios attached to this post. By the way, I thought you had the same motherboard as me (a Gigbyte GA33M-DS2R). What kind of onboard sound do you have?If that still does not work, try this kernel.If that still does not work try this kernel. Don't forget to correctly repair the permissions.

AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Black Night,

Grab the files here for Download. I made the about this mac & Nvidia part, but the clever "Glass" bit was done by Macprodan & Torque3. I include the original About this Mac and a Core 2 Quad derivative also that I made that will work on the transparent Quick Look window.

I included this one to as well as the STD one:

core2workstation.jpeg

Transparent_About_This_Mac.zip

I ordered a new board on Friday, suppose to ship today so should have Tuesday (fingers crossed). Once the new board shows up I am sending the old one back for a refund. I will post up all the details once the new board gets swapped in.

And I was planning on trying to make my own About this Mac with those. I really like the Glass one as that is how the plugin windows look like in Logic :censored2:

Aqua-mac,

Is it possible to flash a nVidia 8800GT into a Quadro FX card?

IF yes, will it drawn down the gaming performance (even if the diference is minimal) and will get up the 3D,graphic.. modeling performance?

IF yes, what is that difference?

Thank you

Nitramusa,

I have looked into doing this as I have a 8800 GT card that works well in a hack I built for work. The card should in theory be able to have the device id changed from 0611 (GT) to 061A (Quadro FX 3700). However, if you change the device id in the rom, even before you make any corrections for this, if you re-read the rom in nibitor, it can no longer read the speeds - weird. Now this may just be that nibitor has no info for that card (as it is light on latest Quadro details, G80 & G92), or there may be something else going on there, I'm not sure as I never had time to flash the card and see, also I had replaced the rom chip on that card once already when everyone was messing around trying to get 8800 GT's going and as I was short on time and needed the card for work, I did not want to mess the card up at that stage. I may have a go soon, because I will not be able to resist it for too long, but am really busy at work for the next few weeks with little time at the moment. If I succeed, I will put it up on my website.

• 3 weeks later...

It can be done, but is more difficult, I have the same board as you but in a G5 case. Micro ATX is certainly easier in a mac pro case, I have a GA 33M-DS2R in mine. Have a look here for how to fit a full size MB in a mac pro case:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...8553&st=20#

Zapro also did a really nice job, but annoyingly his site is down at the moment. You also lose 2 HDD Trays.

Aqua, your hackpro has always been an inspiration to me and its the main reason im going for hackpro rather than macpro.

I only realised yesterday while looking on your site that your mobo is micro atx...where as my board is eatx : (

And i really want to keep the harddrives where they are as its a perfect location.

Im trying to think of ideas around this but none seem that good.

[1] Extended motherboard standoffs and move the motherboard down over the lower bolts.

[2] Cut a hole in the bottom of the case and let the bottom of the motherboard stickout the bottom of the case.

[3] Break out my tig welder and extend the case....very difficult to weld alluminium but its do-able.

Thanks for the schematics btw

Also, do you know if its possible to run 3 gpus in a hacpro? not in sli, but in the way a macpro does!

Il be using 3 8800gtx cards, enermax galaxy psu, 2 x qx9775 cpus, 5400xs (skulltrail) motherboard and 16gb of fb-dimm. ( im getting all this through my contact in intel ireland for cost price)

good idea Baudouin, do you have any pictures? they would be really helpful, just to get a better idea of your mod.

I was just looking at the side of the macpro case and im trying to figure out if its possible to lower the floor, yet keeping the bottom from sticking out below the line of the outer case.

TIG might be my only option, but lets see your photos to prove me wrong.

Hi RouteZero,

Thanks for your comments. I was just trying to offer up a full size ATX to the mac pro case and it is on the edge of fitting height-wise if it touches the bottom of the case. The Lowest PCIe slot seems to roughly line up with the lowest mac pro slot. This takes the last PCI slot up behind the HDD's so it would be unusable, but there is a fair bit of space behind the drives, it may just go. I have to admit, there is no substitute to actually offering the board up to an empty case. The other alternative would be to cut a slot in the top divider. Having said that, the noisiest thing in a mac pro is the HDD's on the shelf, so any weakening of the shelf will leave your system prone to vibration.

Sure would be a great project to get a Skulltrail board in there!

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get a Hackintosh to boot with more than 1 graphics card in position, they just KP at boot.

Thanks for the quick reply aqua.

Il really have to wait and see when i get the case, as you say "there is no substitute to actually offering the board up to an empty case"

Even if i do manage to fit it in under the drives, i think i still might give the case an ole "cut 'n' shut".

It would mean id be able to fit a dual 120mm rad at the front, and still maintain hdd 1.

It would also allow me room to design some sound deadened trays for the hard drives.

Heat would usually be an issue in this case but im going to watercool the hard drives....along with everything else ^_^

There have been some people getting two gpus working over on the nvinject forum, but im yet to find somebody who has done three. Theoretically it is possible, but its gonna take allot of effort.

Btw: your just across the pond from me ( im irish :D ) , where did you find your macpro case?

As ive been having great trouble finding one in europe.

Sorry if i asked you this before, its been a long week....4 lab reports, 1 CAD assignment and 7 A2 boards of concept drawings had to be in today.....and im still on here at 1:43 AM :)

Hi RouteZero,

I got my case on ebay from Scrumpymacs Ltd. They do come up from time to time, there was a guy selling 4 of them in the UK a couple of weeks ago but they went fairly quickly. I quite fancied another myself as the price was good too, but I passed it up as I am trying to save some money at the moment. It needs constant scouring at ebay, if I find anything, I will pm you.