Nearly Finished - Hac Pro

aqua-mac

91 posts in this topic

Hi Nagal,

No, I thought about it, but then never tried it, thinking it would fail. But if you think it will work, I will give it a go. My 4 GIGS of Corsair XMS DDR 2 800 seems pretty solid and works well overclocked. Thanks for the tip! I will let you know how I get on.

Hi Nagal,

No, I thought about it, but then never tried it, thinking it would fail. But if you think it will work, I will give it a go. My 4 GIGS of Corsair XMS DDR 2 800 seems pretty solid and works well overclocked. Thanks for the tip! I will let you know how I get on.

Amazing, I was using 4 x 1GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 as well. I never had any problems running them at a 400 FSB but my Q6600 would not get stable at 9 x 400 which is why I went to 8 x 400 and started uping the FSB to try and get the magical 3.6 GHz ;)

Well, like you 3.6 was not very stable, however 8 x 425 FSB gives 3.4 GHz and a bus speed of 1.7 overclocking the memory slightly (from 800 to about 854- cannot quite remember) and is super stable. I was working off 9 x 378 = 3.4 GHz and a bus speed of 1.51 but the lowest memory multiplyer ended up underclocking the memory to 754 or something like that. So I have made a slight further gain with a bit more fiddling!

fsb8x425.jpeg

Hi aqua-mac,

finally i put all components together, and I installed Leopard (Toh RC2), but I have a problem:

I connected the internal USB connector on the MoBo with the SATA (USB) plug on the front panel of the Mac Pro case (I use your schema), but if I insert one USB device (USB pen drive for example) it don't mount on the desktop. I also added a backplate with two USB port on the second USB connector on the MoBo and this work perfectly.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance

Andrea

P.S. The setting on the BIOS are:

USB controller ENABLE

USB 2.0 Support ENABLE

Legacy USB Support ENABLE

Hi Ingab,

If only one port is working, then you need to reverse one pair of data cables on one side only. (The + green and - white). Just do one side of the central earth. If both ports then stop working, you will have to change back the pair you just did then change the pair on the other side.

macprousb.jpeg

Let me know how you get on.

Hi aqua-mac,

I opened one SATA connector and cut the SATA cable. I can see 8 wire:

1 -- GND;

2 -- A+;

3 -- A-;

4 -- GND;

5 -- GND;

6 -- B+;

7 -- B-;

8 -- GND;

In the SATA connector the wires 4 and 5 are solder together at its central pin (4).

With reference at your schema, I solder the wires 1 and 4 together and connect their at one black ground pin. At the same I solder the wires 5 and 8 together and connect their at the other black ground pin.

When I insert a USB pendrive on the USB ports in the front panel, the led on this pen ligth up, but after few second it switch off and don't mount it on the desktop.

Thanks

Andrea

You should have 2 central earth wires (4 & 8), join them together and connect them to the thick black cable that goes to the pin next to the blank as in my diagram. The other earths (1 & 8) join to their respective sides as shown in the diagram. Make sure you have that right first. If the port still does not work, reverse the A+ and A- with each other, on one side only and test. Your pen drive should now mount on the desktop. Try both USB sockets, if one now works, reverse the B+ and B- with each other on the other side too.

Well, I finally got bored with not being able to access my Hack Pro's rear motherboard USB & network sockets, so it was time to break out the dremel!!!! Still not quite finished, I need to make a back plate to finish off the look of the sockets. Note: I will be removing the mouse & keyboard sockets from the motherboard, as I never use them.

backinsiderear.jpeg

rearthreequarter.jpeg

lhrearview.jpeg

Hi Nitramusa,

Yes you are right, it is a wireless n card and works without any mods, as Airport on OSX 86 as it is natively supported. It's a D-Link DWA 547 (basically this card)

Click Here

However, it looks like D-Link have changed it slightly, If you compare the aerial spacing. So I wonder if they have changed the atheros chip as well. Hopefully not.

rhyguy, thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard someone say.

Candle, be positive, I think rhyguy wanted to compliment aqua for his nearly perfect job; it is so good that it looks unreal, like being photoshopped. :(

Aqua,

I'm glad you took up an idea similar to what we talked about for the back. It looks great. I'm guessing you didn't use an entire motherboard tray. I guess you don't need your PS2 ports either, right? As I've said before, you do amazing work with mac cases and a dremel. Kudos!

Hi aqua-mac,

I solved the problem on the USB ports on the front panel:was the cable. I take from an old PC the USB cable, and I soldered this at one SATA connector and now it's all OK.

The next problem is on the audio. I installed the driver (Azalia.pkg) but i don't have any sound.

I think that the connections from the fornt panel and the motherboard (ASRock 1333-D667) are correct.

Thanks

Andrea

Ingab,

I will attach the kexts you need when I get home.

Black Knight,

Thanks for your comments, you are right, I don't need the PS2 ports and will remove them at some time probably. Also did not use a motherboard tray. I did not find a micro ATX tray basically. I had a look at Zapros conversion (but found a good board in the G33M-DS2R - micro ATX) fits easily in the mac pro case.