Battery wont charge..

ShreddinPB

18 posts in this topic

So guys.. the other day my iPhone stopped charging. It was plugged in and the battery just kept going down. It got to the point where it had what seeme a very low level screen (a red battery and basic text which didnt look smooth like normal iphone text) that said something like "battery needs charging".

I plug in the phone and it says "battery is charging" or something like that. but the phone continues to discharge. Now I dont get anything at all.

I figured it was the battery, so I purchased a new battery and installed it. It is still the same, seem like the battery is completly drained and it wont charge are do anything if its plugged in. I tried other chargers also.

What would be the next step? Does the logic board control the charging functions of the phone? Should I replace that?

also. I just tested both batteries. The old battery reads 0.0 volts. the new one is the same. I would figure it would come with a little charge in it.

This is of course assuming the red lead from the battery is the + and the black is the -

there is a white wire also which I assumed is the protection lead?

pleeeeaaaasssee someone have some info lol

Recommend using the OLD Firewire Charger, or charge it from a Firewire cable and Firewire port. They have always helped.

OR

Manually connect the + of the battery to a Phone Chargers(Nokia) +

and - of the battery to the - of the charger.

Let it charge for 5-10 mins. Now solder it back onto the iPhone and enjoy.

have you tried doing a hard shutdown? Press the sleep button (on the top) then hold that and press and hold the home button (circle button at the bottom) until it shuts down and you see the apple logo. Also what version are you updated to? 1.1.1 / 1.1.2 etc. I would advise if that doesn't work call 1-800-myapple and discuss it with them.. Soldering it would void what "contract" there is if something went wrong. Apple care is 59$ I believe.. I'm sure that wouldalso cover it.. Another option I'd to go to the at&t store and tell them.. Someone brought their shattered screen I. And they swapped it out right then and there.. Sorry for any typos seeing as I'm typing all this from my iPhone as I walk around walmart bored ;)

You guys are joking, aren't you? Especially U.C. with the soldering iron :P

I occasionally have a similar problem where the battery runs flat within less than a day after a full charge and on standby (switched off).

I still can't believe what I just read in this thread.... lol

Not really Solaar. I have fixed at least 10 iPods with this Method. I call it Force Charging.

I think there is something wrong with your battery, better get it replaced.

Also if the guy did replace his battery manually, this is only a baby step further then.

Did you even bother reading what he said, Solaar.

I was a mobile phone engineer in the UK - when a handset drains the battery straight away first thing to look at is the power amps if it's knackered it will suck loads of juice - you can normally tell by hooking it up to a power supply set at the right volts :D

Not really Solaar. I have fixed at least 10 iPods with this Method. I call it Force Charging.

I think there is something wrong with your battery, better get it replaced.

Also if the guy did replace his battery manually, this is only a baby step further then.

Did you even bother reading what he said, Solaar.

Yes I did read the entire thread. That's why I was mildly shocked. I don't think the warranty of any iPhone currently on the market has expired. You'd have to virginise it first of course but that's no biggie.

I wouldn't even think of trying to open this device. Not that I even know how...

No offence.

I just thought it was ironic to (have to) do some DIY on the cult device of 2007. Partly also because I'm seriously tired of my iphone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I just had the battery replaced with no result. I was thinking about manually chargin the battery and I'm glad to hear that someone else has done it successfully. If that ends up being my only option in the future, I will just drill two small holes in the back of the phone and put in some connections to maually charge the phone; much like a portable phone does.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I just had the battery replaced with no result. I was thinking about manually chargin the battery and I'm glad to hear that someone else has done it successfully. If that ends up being my only option in the future, I will just drill two small holes in the back of the phone and put in some connections to maually charge the phone; much like a portable phone does.

Just to update you guys where things are..

I got a new logic board, installed it, and now the phone seems to be fine.. on the original battery, it held a charge all night. This morning the battery indicator reports that its still full to the top.

Now I gotta figure out the baseband modem version so I can unlock ;)

Just to update you guys where things are..

I got a new logic board, installed it, and now the phone seems to be fine.. on the original battery, it held a charge all night. This morning the battery indicator reports that its still full to the top.

Now I gotta figure out the baseband modem version so I can unlock :)

Did Apple replace it for you or did you pay someone else $300 for the board?

The manual charge has to be done only once. You will not require it after that Also I donot recommend charging the battery manually while connected to the board.

OK, I soldered on some connections to my iphone to let me recharge the battery manually. Even works when it's turned on. Of course, since it's not going through the logic board, there is nothing to stop the battery from over charging (is that even possible?). Not pretty, but it saved me $300.

Normally when this happened to me, I would force charge the battery, solder it back and iPod would work perfectly from then on.

Have you tried force charging the battery, and then plugging it back in to see if the iPhone takes over charging from then on. If not, you need to get your iPhone replaced, or give it to you neighborhood electronic genius to fix.

• 4 weeks later...