Migrating from G3 iMac (USB) to iMac Core Duo

sartre

5 posts in this topic

Help!

My current rig is a 7-year old PowerPC G3, 233MHz, tray-loading, USB only, Bondi Blue iMac (Rev :), with 96MB of memory, running OS9.2.2 (Classic).

This week I ordered its replacement, the 20” iMac Core Duo (with 2GB of memory), running OSX 10.4.4. As Steve Jobs has so helpfully decided to sacrifice AppleWorks, I also ordered iWork ‘06. My plan is to use “Pages” for my word processing.

All the questions I have relate to how on earth I am going to format, save and move information from my current rig to the new setup.

Most of the information is contained in ClarisWorks 5.0 files, some in MS Word files and some in MS Excels files.

I would also like to move all my favorites from Internet Explorer 5.1, and my contacts and inbox from Outlook Express 5.02.

As my current rig is USB only, I cannot take advantage of the Migration Assistant in OSX.

I have been advised to buy or borrow a USB Flash memory stick and use that instead.

1. Claris

I was told by the guy in the shop to save all my ClarisWorks files as “Rich Text Format” files, put them all in a folder and save them to the USB memory stick. Plug the stick into the new rig and move the folder from the stick to my new folder. And that I’d then be able to open the files in “Pages”. (Incidentally, here in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, we don’t have an Apple-owned stores. We have only Apple-authorised dealers/Apple-approved retailers).

I have over 550 ClarisWorks files, and opening them individually to re-save them as anything else sounds like the quickest way to the nut house.

Anyway, I opened one of these files to save as RTF, but the only options I was presented in the dialogue window were: “ClarisWorks”, “ClarisWorks 4.0” and “ClarisWorks for Kids”. No RTF option. I have the option of saving to Desktop, New folder in HD or Current folder in HD.

I’ve never used a USB memory stick but I’m assuming when I stick one into my G3 iMac an icon will show up on my desktop into which I can drag stuff. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyway, my first real question for anyone out there is how do I format, save and move these files so that I’ll be able to open them in “Pages”?

2. Internet Explorer - Favorites

I would also like to export all my favorites from IE 5.1 to my new iMac. I was told by the guy in the shop to simply select “all” favorites, click on “File” - “Export Favorites”, save them as “Favorites.html” to the USB memory stick icon on my desktop. Then insert the memory stick into the new rig, open up “Safari”, and import the Favorites from the memory stick.

My second question then is: Will this work? and if not, how do I export my Favorites?

3. Outlook Express - Contacts

I would like to export all my contacts in Outlook Express 5.02 to the new iMac. The guy said I need to go to “File”, “Export Contacts”, save as “Contacts Export” to the USB memory stick icon on my desktop. Then insert the memory stick into the new rig, open up “OSX Mail”, and import the Contacts from the memory stick.

My third question: Will this work? and if not, how do I export my Contacts?

4. Outlook Express - Inbox

I would like to export my current inbox on Outlook Express to “Mail” on the new rig. I didn’t ask the guy how I could do this. However I just went in to take a look, selected “All” and “Edit”, but the only options I’m given are: “Select none”, “Select All”, “Delete Message”, “Find”, “Advanced Find” and “Preferences”.

Question number 4: How do I export my inbox?

5. Excel, Word & PowerPoint documents.

I have a few Excel, Word and PowerPoint files. Word gives me the option of saving in Rich Text Format, but Excel doesn’t.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to open all these files in “Pages” and “Keynote”?

I know I have a 30-day trial of MS Office on the new iMac, but I really don’t want to have to use anything MS ever again.

That’s it folks.

I hope some of you can help as I have only 3 - 4 days to the delivery of my new rig and I’d very much like to make this as smooth and as quick a transition as possible.

Look forward to reading your suggestions.

Thanks.

Help!

My current rig is a 7-year old PowerPC G3, 233MHz, tray-loading, USB only, Bondi Blue iMac (Rev :unsure:, with 96MB of memory, running OS9.2.2 (Classic).

This week I ordered its replacement, the 20” iMac Core Duo (with 2GB of memory), running OSX 10.4.4. As Steve Jobs has so helpfully decided to sacrifice AppleWorks, I also ordered iWork ‘06. My plan is to use “Pages” for my word processing.

I have heard from many sources/reviews that Pages is not an adequite replacement for any real word processor. I would suggest looking into getting AppleWorks or Microsoft Office.

As my current rig is USB only, I cannot take advantage of the Migration Assistant in OSX.

I have been advised to buy or borrow a USB Flash memory stick and use that instead.

How about direct-connecting the ethernet between both computers, then turning on file sharing on the iMac CoreDuo? Then connect to that file share from your iMac G3, and simply copy the files over.

1. Claris

I was told by the guy in the shop to save all my ClarisWorks files as “Rich Text Format” files, put them all in a folder and save them to the USB memory stick. Plug the stick into the new rig and move the folder from the stick to my new folder. And that I’d then be able to open the files in “Pages”. (Incidentally, here in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, we don’t have an Apple-owned stores. We have only Apple-authorised dealers/Apple-approved retailers).

I have over 550 ClarisWorks files, and opening them individually to re-save them as anything else sounds like the quickest way to the nut house.

Anyway, I opened one of these files to save as RTF, but the only options I was presented in the dialogue window were: “ClarisWorks”, “ClarisWorks 4.0” and “ClarisWorks for Kids”. No RTF option. I have the option of saving to Desktop, New folder in HD or Current folder in HD.

You could also try the MacLink translator package (about $80 US I think) and use it to translate your files for you.

I’ve never used a USB memory stick but I’m assuming when I stick one into my G3 iMac an icon will show up on my desktop into which I can drag stuff. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

See above, use the network.

I would also like to export all my favorites from IE 5.1 to my new iMac. I was told by the guy in the shop to simply select “all” favorites, click on “File” - “Export Favorites”, save them as “Favorites.html” to the USB memory stick icon on my desktop. Then insert the memory stick into the new rig, open up “Safari”, and import the Favorites from the memory stick.

I have moved IE favorites this way before.

I would like to export all my contacts in Outlook Express 5.02 to the new iMac. The guy said I need to go to “File”, “Export Contacts”, save as “Contacts Export” to the USB memory stick icon on my desktop. Then insert the memory stick into the new rig, open up “OSX Mail”, and import the Contacts from the memory stick.

I would like to export my current inbox on Outlook Express to “Mail” on the new rig. I didn’t ask the guy how I could do this. However I just went in to take a look, selected “All” and “Edit”, but the only options I’m given are: “Select none”, “Select All”, “Delete Message”, “Find”, “Advanced Find” and “Preferences”.

Outlook Express uses its own proprietary file format. I don't know how you could easily export your boxes to Mail on Mac OS X. I will be running into the same problem at work as we upgrade from older OS 9 boxes with Outlook Express 5 to Mail as well.

I have a few Excel, Word and PowerPoint files. Word gives me the option of saving in Rich Text Format, but Excel doesn’t.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to open all these files in “Pages” and “Keynote”?

I know I have a 30-day trial of MS Office on the new iMac, but I really don’t want to have to use anything MS ever again.

Seriously, either look for AppleWorks and run it in Rosetta, or pickup Microsoft Office.

That’s it folks.

I hope some of you can help as I have only 3 - 4 days to the delivery of my new rig and I’d very much like to make this as smooth and as quick a transition as possible.

Look forward to reading your suggestions.

Thanks.

Really, the only real way you will know if your files from ClarisWorks/PowerPoint/Excel will work is to try them. The Excel files won't work unless you are going to use a spreadsheet program, but the others may, depending on the conflicts between versions of software that you have and that you purchase.

As for transferring the files, like I said, direct Ethernet connection. Then burn your files to a disc for backup purposes before you mess with them.

Help!

My current rig is a 7-year old PowerPC G3, 233MHz, tray-loading, USB only, Bondi Blue iMac (Rev , with 96MB of memory, running OS9.2.2 (Classic).

All the questions I have relate to how on earth I am going to format, save and move information from my current rig to the new setup.

Most of the information is contained in ClarisWorks 5.0 files, some in MS Word files and some in MS Excels files.

I would also like to move all my favorites from Internet Explorer 5.1, and my contacts and inbox from Outlook Express 5.02.

1. Claris

Find someone who owns AppleWorks 6 on Mac OS X and borrow it (or copy your files to his computer). You'll only need it to convert all the files.

Use the AppleScript ScriptEditor and paste this script:

property type_list : {"CWWP"}

property extension_list : {".cwk"}

on open these_items

repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items

set this_item to item i of these_items

set the item_info to info for this_item

if (folder of the item_info is false) and ¬

(alias of the item_info is false) and ¬

((the file type of the item_info is in the type_list) or ¬

the name extension of the item_info is in the extension_list) then

process_item(this_item)

end if

end repeat

end open

on process_item(this_item)

tell application "AppleWorks 6"

open this_item

save the front document in this_item

close the front document

end tell

end process_item

Save it as an Application Bundle on your desktop. Then drag and drop all your ClarisWorks files onto that new icon on the desktop. AppleWorks 6 will launch and convert them all. You will have to press "ok" for every file, but while clicking "ok" 550 times is not really great, it should be tolerable. Thereafter, all your files you files you dragged on the application will be converted to AppleWorks 6 files, which can be opened with iWork.

Pages makes a nice word processor. You'll have to get used to it, it's really different from Word or ClarisWorks, but it's really great once you know how everything works.

You're absolutely right. However, you should erase the USB stick before you use it (using the "Special" menu on your old iMac) and select "Mac OS Standard" or "Mac OS Extended" as the format. USB sticks usually use the DOS format and you lose data (resource forks) if you copy files from OS 9 to OS X using a DOS formatted disk.

My second question then is: Will this work? and if not, how do I export my Favorites?

That will work.

I've never tried that myself. OS X Mail does not import contacts, you would have to use "Address Book". I don't know if it will read the file from Outlook.

This is difficult. Mac OS X Mail can import Outlook mailboxes, but only on PowerPC Macs. Copy the whole Outlook Express folder including Outlook Express itself and all your messages to the USB stick. Find someone with Mac OS X for PowerPC or upgrade your old iMac to OS X 10.1 or something (that would work even with 96MB of RAM, though extremely slowly). Run the Outlook Express from your USB stick using the Classic environment. Then open Mail and import the mailboxes. You will then find them in "Macintosh HD:Users:yourname:Library:Mail". Copy these imported mailboxes to the USB stick. Then use Mail on your new iMac to import them by saying you want to import from "Mail from Mac OS X".

Another possibility would be to import the Outlook files directly from the USB stick to your trial of Entourage and then import them from Mail by using the "Entourage" import option. I have never tried that myself, but it should work.

Pages will open Word files and Keynote will open PowerPoint files. You won't be able to use your Excel files with iWork, as iWork does not include a spreadsheet. If you need full compatibility, you should buy Excel 2004 for Mac OS X, otherwise you could also try Mariner Calc, which will import Excel files.

Thanks, guys, for all the responses. I'm gonna print them all out and see what works when the new iMac arrives - and I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, if anyone else has further suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Hey, for anyone else in a similar situation to me re. opening Claris files on an Intel Mac, I've just heard about TextWrangler 2.1 from Bare Bones. Apparently this opens most text-based files created in almost any software package.

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml

If that works, problem solved.

Anyone with any experience of this?