GTA San Andreas on Crossover

tomozj

13 posts in this topic

GTA San Andreas on Crossover

Running natively on Mac OSX using Wine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright. Here's a screenshot of the end result:

http://crew.sa-mp.nl/tomozj/screens/gtaosxproj/gtawine.png

How do you do it? Well, lets start.

1. Getting Crossover

First off, you need the Crossover application. This application by Codeweavers takes advantage of Wine, and allows Windows applications to be natively run on Mac OSX, inside 'bottles', like different mini-Windows-installations.

You can grab Crossover for Mac from here. There's a free trial available.

2. Creating and setting up your bottle

Now that you've installed Crossover, you can go ahead and create your bottle. Go to the Configure menu, and select Manage bottles...

From there, you can use the plus symbol to add a new bottle. Call this bottle whatever you like, such as "gaming", and change the type to "winxp", or whatever suits the game you want to play.

Give it a few seconds, and then it'll be created. On the right hand side of the window there are a few options, Bottle, Applications, Control Panel and Advanced. Select Control Panel, and open winecfg.

Once that is open, you can then go to configuring your "virtual desktop", which will allow games to be played in windowed mode, and allows them to run properly on OSX. Switch to the Graphics tab of the Windows-styled window, and tick the "emulate a virtual desktop". I used the size 1024 x 576 for a widescreen window, but you can select whatever in there. Remember that the lower the resolution, the faster your game usually runs.

3. Installing GTA: San Andreas

Now, I installed GTA: San Andreas from BootCamp and then opened it from there, but other Crossover beta testers have reported the installer is working. So, you may pick either. Crossover is pretty supportive when it comes to installing applications, and it should install like it does on Windows.

4. Startup

Now that GTA is installed, you can go ahead and play the damn thing. Fire up GTA:SA from the Programs menu in the menubar, or from the exe in the finder wherever you installed it (Crossover keeps its files in ~/Applications/Crossover/, or ~/Library/Application Support/Crossover/). It should then launch in a windowed mode. The first menus should skip pretty quickly. Keep clicking inside the window in order to start it up (I had a problem once where the game wouldn't load, but when I started clicking rapidly one startup it loaded - so it may not be required).

5. Playing

You should be playing now. Try not to fiddle around with the video settings too much, as it can mess up the game. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known Issues:

- Strange quick startup logos, but no downsides found so far :)

- Strange 3D polygons onscreen sometimes, unsure what causes them, still looking into a fix.

Comments would be appreciated. Good luck! :(

Sounds like a good guide, I am in the process of trying it out. I have installed GTA San Andreas on Cross Over before and the game ran ok however it was prone to loads of graphics glitches and errors, perhaps your method will eliminate these!

Now if only my game pad and the San Andreas Trainer would work with cross-over, I could seriously consider getting rid of Boot Camp!

Can you tell us what spec your mac has?

I will let you know how I get on :lol:

Okie Dokie,

I tried your guide, and on my hardware I am still getting way too many graphics glitches to be able to play the game really. I mean its not too bad when a building or tree is slightly messes up but when the glitches make it so you cant see where your going or who your following, etc etc.

Other guides I have seen / used have recommended turning of the vertex shader which does help a great deal on my MacBook Pro here.

Still considering how young CrossOver Mac is, this is good stuff, perhaps in a few more builds time they will have been able to eliminate these nagging issues! :lol:

Thanks again for the guide.

I'm testing on a early '06 iMac 20" - Intel Core Duo.

But also, I'm using the build of Crossover for Mac that was given to betatesters (I'm on the team), so it might be different.

I'm currently consulting about support with SA-MP & GTA, SA-MP being a multiplayer modification for GTA that rocks. :lol:

I see, well then if your using the latest development build, that might explain why your having a better time of this then me, then again it may be hardware related, I just dont know.

I did read about SA-MP being successfully installed on wine on a linux machine, I have not ever played SA-MP as I keep my boot-camp partition isolated for its own protection. With San Andreas running as well as it is now, I would have thought it would not take much more to iron out these small graphics problems.

Then perhaps they could work on gamepad support :D

If you hear anything more on development of support for GTA SA or SA-MP then let me know!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So i tried your "guide" and gta starts i see the sound logo and Nvidia than i see the gta loading screen for a few seconds than my screen turns black than very quick blue and than goes back to mac. what the hack? the game copy works fine in windows xp.

Also tried it in cider but i got the same problem.

Using MacBook 2,4ghz 2gb ram 160gb GMA X3100

• 2 weeks later...