Can't get internet to work

18 posts in this topic

I already visited this page: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34074

But I am not sure which one to use

My computer: Amd 64x2 6000+

my chipset is NVIDIA SPP190 (C51XE) SSE3

NVIDIA nForce Neworking Controller

Ethernet 802.3

I installed the Tubgirl 10.4.10 AMD SSE3 version

I connect to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router, through a cable modem

Not sure what to do?

Can anyone help me Please?? :-)

Do you have to configure your network. aka Do you have a static IP.

Also try typing this into console.

sudo -s
password
ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 up
shutdown -r "now"

I changed the code. Got it wrong the first time. Sorry.

Is your network DHCP, you don't have to type in anything when you connect a computer to your network; or is it Static where you need to assign each computer an IP address, type in subnet mask, 2 DNS's, & router address?

ok I entered in the code you told me to and I restarted the computer, do I need to setup a network for the internet to work? cuz I am used to in windows just plugging the ethernet cable in and it automatically works

well when I click on the network diagnostics on the left hand side it says:

built -in ethernet

Failed

Network settings

failed

ISP

failed

Server

Failed

and it says Have you ever used this computer to successfully connect to the interent and I check NO>continue and I click on Open Network Setup Assisstant

ok I am going to try the second one, I didn't have any success with the first one todaybefore trying the other sugestions I am in the network setup up, should I type in the IP Address, subnet mask, router address, and dns hosts?". Within Terminal, move to the folder you just extracted, then the src folder (using the cd command), and type "sudo make install". Your may be asked for your password, for example "bovinity".so what do I type exactly in the terminal? I don't know how to use the cd command

well I tried it and nothing happened, I don't know if I am just doing this wrong or if it just doesn't work, should I try buying a new ethernet adapter card and install it on my computer and see that will work?

UPDATE: Ok so problem solved very easy one in fact. I went to Best Buy bought a $30 network card, and while I was putting the new network card in my computer I put back my 5.1 original sound card that came with the mobo (which is a pretty good card) I turned on the computer and I noticed that the sound work and then I opened Safari still no internet until I clicked on the network setup and instantly I had internet. So after a week of unpattiontly waiting I have a fully operating AMD x2 6000+ 4gb ram OSX10.4.10 :-) thanks for all the help!

• 5 months later...