HDC-SD5 iMovie '08 quits on startup

joelones

12 posts in this topic

I have the panasonic HDC-SD5 and iMovie '08 quits on startup when it is connected via the usb port. Any suggestions or help. Running Jas 10.4.9 kernel updated to 10.4.10.

8.10.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May 23 16:33:00 PDT 2007; Sochi2014:VoteForUs/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Console log reports

error: Error getting a reference to /options.

Update: I have noticed the same problem while simply inserting the SD card in the card reader. As a matter of fact final cut pro 6.01 crashes the same way when i import via the log and transfer option. The fat32 formatted SD card gets mounted correctly. I still think the problem lies with the movie clips being on removable media and for some reason iMovie / FCP bail when they see the avchd file structure on a mass storage device.

Forgot to mention, that I installed iLife '08 over the previous version. Maybe that could be the problem?

Update: I could be wrong. Just tried to create an image of the SD card with Disk Utility, mounted it with and ran iMovie. Still quits on startup with the same error. I guess it's not USB related. This is driving me nuts....

Please any help?

The removable drive is in fact the SD card mounted as a mass storage device which contains the movies file for which I want to import. Furthermore, it mounts correctly and is fat32, so I don't understand why iMovie / FCP crashes when it scans it. And besides I made a disk image of the removable drive and mounted it with Disk Utility and iMovie still crashes on startup so its not isolated to only the removable drive.

Maybe it doesn't like the AVCHD file structure, but this should be supported now.

I'm running out of ideas, but thanks royco for your reply anyways.

limini, thanks for the reply. Yes I do have QT 7.2 and the Pro App Update as well.

I have been scouring the apple forums (particularly the iMovie '08 and FCP forums) and noticed the same thing. Apparently QT 7.2 and/or the Pro App Update has been causing quite a few issues with FCP but not sure about iMovie. In any case I will reformat my mac partition and reinstall without QT 7.2 and the update. Hopefully this will solve my issue. Will report back.

Thanks

Update: Just installed JaS 10.4.8 + 10.4.9 combo update and then installed iLife '08 without any updates or QT 7.2 and still iMovie quits on startup with the same error with I connect the avchd sd card via usb:

error: Error getting a reference to /options.

I really don't know what to do anymore. Maybe cause the SD card is a 4 GB formatted with fat32.???

• 2 weeks later...

widespread bug (though unacknowledged) with the AVCHD decoder from Apple, affecting not just Sony cams but also panasonic apparently; I get the same on a HDR-SR1 cam. both iMovie '08 and FCP 6.0.1 crash on startup/Log and transfer. It is provably an AVC<HD> bug as I can import MPEG-2 SD from the same cam without problems.

My workarounds to date (neither great):

1. capture HDMI through a Intensity (pro) capture card to ProRes 422 HQ. Needs better than my C2D @3.2 Ghz for real time (it does work but drops frames every 20-30 sec). you need to start playback on the cam manually, you have no clip boundaries, but at least you can ingest the footage.

2. Voltaic; converts AVCHD to AIC codec. $20 or so. Slow. I did not purchase it as I need ProRes. Trial works for 20 runs with files smaller than 20 MB.

waiting for a 6.0.2 FCP update...let's hope they'll fix this.

cloud9, thanks for your reply.

Been beating myself silly trying different things to get this to work but to no avail. I was not aware of using the Intensity Pro to capture, but like you, my system is not good enough for real time. I am aware of Voltaic, but what I here it's quite slow.

I really hope this issue gets resolved in an update and again hope this is not a hacktintosh related bug? Have you tried Leopard using the BrazilMac method? I may give that a go and try it with iLife.

Will report back my findings.

cloud9, thanks for your reply.

Been beating myself silly trying different things to get this to work but to no avail. I really hope this issue gets resolved in an update and again hope this is not a hacktintosh related bug?

can't say for sure it's not the hackintosh, however why would people with real macs (from macbook to mac pro) have such a hard time with this "feature"? then again it does work for some. i've actually been suspecting the cam itself (my model hdr-sr1 is dead in the water, is obsoleted and won't get any firmware updates), but then i read sr5 and sr7 crashes as well; and some Canons apparently.

I've read that uninstalling Perian made it work for some, not for me.

i still think it's on Apple's end. bummer if you checked leopard and makes no difference.

I can live meanwhile with dropped frames from the Intensity card; one advantage if you can call it that is I ingest YCbCr 422, though of course it's upsampled on playback from 420. Voltaic doesn't do that and uses a lesser codec. i also use the card(s) (I have both pro and non pro models) to output to a large HDTV used as video monitor over HDMI.