Fix for Soundmax, ADI and maybe other soundboards

Middleman

46 posts in this topic

(corrected as of 02/10/07)

Guys,

I've got my Soundmax ADI1986A going on my Asus P5VD2-VM!

The key was integrating it with the PCI IRQ of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver.

To find your ID, simply go to Control Panel > Hardware > Device Manager and look under the Sound and System sections for the relevant hardware:

The device IDs are under the Detail sections, with the first set of numbers as the Device ID, and the second set the Vendor ID as I have shown here:

Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio:

Dev ID : 1986

Vendor ID : 11D4

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio

Vendor ID: 1106

Dev ID : 3288

Here's the guide to do it:

In Terminal, type:

sudo su

Enter password (if asked)

1) Delete AppleHDA.kext:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) For Intel: cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents

For VIA: cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents

sudo pico Info.plist

Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

change the string to:

If Intel based: <string>0x27d88086</string>

If VIA based: <string>0x32881106</string>

Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to quit

chown -R root:wheel Info.plist

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

3) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

In Terminal, type:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/info.plist

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

change the string to codec ID:

<string>0x11d41986</string> (corrected this section as of 21/10/07)

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

4) Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

change the string to:

If Intel based: <string>0x27d88086</string>

If VIA based: <string>0x32881106</string>

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

5) For Soundmax/ADI owners you also need to change the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext file >

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

You need to add ADS78 under <string>IOAC97CodecDevice</string> like this:

<string>IOAC97CodecDevice</string>

<key>PNPVendorID</key>

<string>ADS78 ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string>

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

6) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

chown -R root:wheel AppleAC97Audio.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleAC97Audio.kext

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

7) Then, reboot!

You should have at least 2 channel sound after rebooting.

Hi,

I've tried to follow what you've done and got a couple of questions:

How can I find out if I got Intel or VIA? (what is VIA?)

My Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio ids:

VEN_11D4

DEV_1984

My UAA id's are:

VEN_8086

DEV_284b

It looks ok to work out how I enter these numbers in the VIA places, but I don't understand the relation between your VEN & DEV numbers where you have examples for Intel. How can I translate mine?

Trying to follow your description though osx finally recognized my audio output (only), but the master fader is faded and no sound, plus I get error messages saying that:

"AppleAC97Audio.kext"

"AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext"

"AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext"

was installed improperly and cannot be used.

This might have been because I messed up with the interpretation of the DEV and VEN numbers... Nice with a reaction at least! :)

I'd be really happy if I got this working!

im on a ThinkPad T61..

Blindmanonacid,

Intel and VIA are the two main manufacturers/brands of the main controlling chipset your system is running on.

If you are not sure, you can check using Windows Device Manager under Control Panels > System > Hardware > Device Manager and under the lists, look for tell-tale signs under IDE/ATAPI Controllers or System Devices like Intel ICH7 Controller, or VIA Standard Host Bridge. The other one most telling is usually USB or Universal Serial Bus Controllers whereby it is only one brand or the other. ie. VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller.

If still you're unsure check with the manual or support website for more information on your machine.

As for the device IDs, you need to go to Windows Device Manager (Control Panels > System > Hardware Devices under XP) and under the Systems dropdown, look for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. If you click on the Details tab you should be able to see the vendor and device IDs under the line below.

My UAA vendor ID was 1106 and device ID was 3288. All I then did was make into to 0x32881106 and added it into the appropriate areas as mentioned in the guide.

Trying to follow your description though osx finally recognized my audio output (only), but the master fader is faded and no sound, plus I get error messages saying that:

"AppleAC97Audio.kext"

"AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext"

"AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext"

was installed improperly and cannot be used.

My Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio ids:

VEN_11D4

DEV_1984

My UAA id's are:

VEN_8086

DEV_284b

I noticed you made changes to both the VIA and Intel kexts. You DO NOT use the Intel or VIAs together. You must use one or the other. If you have Intel chipset change the AppleAC97IntelICH.kext, and if you use VIA chipset use AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext.

Regards to the errors, it's my bad! I should have added the correct permissions commands. For your settings, you need to do make the following changes:

Firstly type sudo su

then enter password if needed

1) AppleAzalia kext:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents

sudo pico Info.plist

add <string>0x11d41984</string> under <key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key> (use 0x11d41984 for AD1984 chip and 0x11d41986 for 1986 chip)

Ctrl+O to save, ctrl+x to quit. When finished, type:

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

2) IntelICH kext: (this is specific to you as you use Intel chipset - others who use VIA chipset edit the AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext under the same path as below (replace IntelICH with VIA) with the VIA string ending in 1106)

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents

sudo pico Info.plist

add <string>0x284b8086</string> under <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> (notice this is ending 8086 which is code for Intel. If VIA chipset use 1106 ending (replace with UAA IDs)

Save and quit, then:

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

3) AppleAC97CodecAD198x,kext:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents

sudo pico Info.plist

add ADS78 under <string>IOAC97CodecDevice</string> like this:

<key>PNPVendorID</key>

<string>ADS78 ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string> (note ADS78 is for AD1986 chip - you need to experiment to find which one for the AD1984 as I don't know it)

Save, quit.

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

4) AppleAzaliaController.kext:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents

sudo pico Info.plist

add <string>0x284b8086</string> under <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> (this one is code for Intel - if VIA use string ending in 1106 - check first part of post)

Save and quit.

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

Then type:

Clean up the system:

reboot

Hopefully that should give you the sound!

To find your ADS number for ADI codecs you need to look under the chip's data sheet.

Most data sheets can be found here > http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/catalog/p111080.shtml

The number you are looking for is under the Vendor ID register. Under the AD1980 say > http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets.../9/AD1980.shtml the Vendor ID register says:

Ch Vendor ID1 F7 F6 F5 F4 F3 F2 F1 F0 S7 S6 S5 S4 S3 S2 S1 S0 4144h

7Eh Vendor ID2T7 T6 T5 T4 T3 T2 T1 T0 REV7REV6 REV5 REV4 REV3 REV2 5370h

The default on 7Ch (4144), in ASCII, 41 is A and 44 is D

Under 7Eh (5370), 53 is S and 70 is the number.

So the answer is ADS70.

• 3 weeks later...

Middleman,

i wanna try to do as per your instruction... but thought i'd double confirm what i need to do.

My Machine:

Thinkpad T60 (1951-BT4) running on JAS OS X 10.4.8 via external USB HDD. My audio output is working after i installed Conexant_HD_Audio.pkg.zip from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=thinkpad, so i just want to get my input working.

My Audio(information from dxdiag):

Description: SoundMAX HD Audio

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1981&SUBSYS_17AA2025&REV_1002

Name: Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_201017AA&REV_02\3&B1BFB68&0&D8

I also see a lot of ICH7 Family system devices (Ultra Storage Controller, SMBus Controller, etc.) so mine is an Intel.

Before i started doing any coding i opened up Finder to locate the list of files you mentioned and I did not find /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.

I also don't understand how you came up with the numbers "<string>0x27d88086</string>". What am i supposed to input here based on my sound device details?

I also don't understand how you came up with the numbers "<string>0x27d88086</string>". What am i supposed to input here based on my sound device details?

Param,

My mistake!

OK, you need to do the following things:

1) Using the 1st post as main guide, follow Step 1 and delete AppleHDA.kext

2) As you are using Intel chipset, edit the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext file and add 0x27d88086 as the string number

in the ICH6 and Nvidia AC97 sections of the file underneath the IOPCIMatch. Note in the Nvidia section place the string at the start of the line, and have

only this string number showing in the ICH6 section.

3) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and add 0x11d41981 as the string number under <key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

4) Edit AppleAzaliaAudioController.kext and add 0x27d88086 as the string number under <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

5) Edit AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext and add ADS72 to the start of the string (according to AD1981 data sheet). This is assuming your chip is a 1981A and not a 1981HD.

6) Do the sudo cache cleanup and kextload AppleAzaliaAudio. Then reboot.

I followed exactly the post 6 (cause I have ICH7 and Soundmax HD ADI1981). I can see the volume control in top bar, in system profiler I don't have any built-in audio, in system pref I have an HD Audio Input but no audio output. So I still don't have audio working. SIGH!

Let me understand: If I have a ICH7 chipset why I have to modify the ICH6 section, and why a ICH7 section doesn't exist?

I followed exactly the post 6 (cause I have ICH7 and Soundmax HD ADI1981). I can see the volume control in top bar, in system profiler I don't have any built-in audio, in system pref I have an HD Audio Input but no audio output. So I still don't have audio working. SIGH!

Let me understand: If I have a ICH7 chipset why I have to modify the ICH6 section, and why a ICH7 section doesn't exist?

So I did the same and I even tried copying the ICH6 section and created an ICH7 section, but to no avail. I am a unix novice and i barely have an idea of what I'm doing. I can see the volume slider and it appears that the system does have sound, but it does not recognize the speakers or any of the lines-out (the headphone jack doesn't work either). which file contains this info - maybe if I toy around with it enough I can manage to make it recognize the speakers. there has to be a solution for this!

I hope.

OK guys,

I've used this on a few systems and in one case I achieved full 6 channel sound on one setup.

The issue is you need to know which chipset you are using. You can't just willy-nilly type in the numbers I've put up. You need to set it to those of your setup. You do this using Window's Device Manager, & Device Properties, or if you're using Linux, the system properties of your sound card.

Most important issues are:

a) Are you using an Intel chipset or a VIA-based chipset? Please note the guide is dependent on which chipset you have. If you have a VIA chipset, use the VIA method, if Intel then Intel method. You MUST alter the relevant Intel or VIA.kexts to reflect the board you use.

:( Do you have your own Vendor & Device IDs for the devices in question?

ie. Soundmax / Realtek / AD198x codecs; Microsoft UAA Device Driver aka Intel ICH7/VIA HD Audio Controller vendor & device IDs?

c) Do you have the last 4-digit set of numbers for Channel 0x7D & E ie. Vendor IDs 1 & 2 from the Control Register Table of your codec to make the ADS code?

d) Lastly, deleted AppleHDA as mentioned? (on non-HD AC97 only setups?)

Please note the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext string always consists of the codec ID and the AppleAzaliaController.kext always uses the UAA numbers. The point is the Controller.kext points the motherboard's audio controller chip to the audio Codec which is AppleAzaliaAudio. Hence the AppleAzaliaAudio string is always using the codec strings. In 99% of cases this works when the right ones are acknowledged. I have tested this on an IBM A52 8298 which was fitted with a Soundmax AD1888 card, and it worked right away using the standard Jas 10.4.8 install with full 6 channel sound & input and output.

If you are using an Intel setup, you could also try another test by changing the IDs on both AppleAzaliaAudio and AppleAzaliaController both to the Microsoft UAA IDs. I think this method might work with some other codecs other than ADI.

I've also noticed my above guide mainly works with AC97 based chipsets. If you have a HD chipset, it does work on some but on 2 channel output only. On some cards, if you cannot find the ADS number on the datasheet a la AD1981HD it means you won't be able to use this method with the AppleAzalia or AD198x kexts. In which case I'd advise following the AppleHDA project here for more info >

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

If your chipset works 100% using this method ie. with both sound and mic/line in working, please post your card, device & vendor IDs & system specs here.

Fully Working:

IBM Thinkcentre A52 8298 A29

Soundmax AD 1888 (11d41888)

MS UAA/Intel ICH7 (27de8086)

ADS68

Middleman,

I made a mistake on the very last instruction as per post 6.

You told me to do:

"5) Edit AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext and add ADS72 to the start of the string (according to AD1981 data sheet). This is assuming your chip is a 1981A and not a 1981HD."

Instead I seem to have done as per post 1:

"You need to add ADS78 under <string>IOAC97CodecDevice</string> like this:

<key>PNPVendorID</key>

<string>ADS78 ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string>"

For your information, before i made the change, the string code was:

"<string>ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string>"

and now it's:

"<string>ADS78 ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string>"

So according to your instruction in post 6 i should change to:

"<string>ADS72 ADS75 ADS74 ADS73</string>"

Is my understanding correct?

What are the following series of commands i need to execute after this change is saved?

Middleman,

I made a mistake on the very last instruction as per post 6.

So according to your instruction in post 6 i should change to:

"<string>ADS72 ADS75 ADS74 ADS73</string>"

Is my understanding correct?

==Yes, that is correct.

What are the following series of commands i need to execute after this change is saved?

(after editting all relevant kexts)

(if still in pico editor program > Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to quit)

Then type:

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

(you do these to all the editted kexts), use cd / to change to relevant directories ie. cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

After chowning and chmodding all Info.plists, clean up the system. In Terminal, type:

reboot

Middleman I'm stuck :mellow:

I have notebook HP nx6310 with ADI Soundmax HD 1981. The chipset is ICH7 but I don't know if I use AC97. I tried your method...nothing. Can you explain me more...please. :rolleyes:

Acumos,

Your soundcard is a AD1981HD. HD means that the card may no longer support AC97. However on another machine I have a AD1986A codec which is according to my Windows, a HD card. I assumed it didn't work, but I got sound out of it. On some HD codecs its not 100% fully input and output, but at least you can get sound out of it.

You will need the following things:

1) Vendor & Device IDs for your Codec (I know it already as 11d4 & 1981) - so your codec string is 0x11d41981.

2) Vendor & Device ID for your sound controller

You can get the Sound Controller IDs from Windows. Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > System Devices > Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio > Properties > Details. As you have an Intel chipset it should say:

PCI/VEN_8086

then read along the line to the next set of numbers. It should say something like DEV_27D8 (double check what yours say).

Assuming the above is correct, this means the Vendor ID is 8086, and your Device ID is 27d8. Under the strings we input into the kexts this would be shown as 0x27d88086.

3) Get the numbers from the data sheet of the codec to create the ADS number for the AD198x.kext. In your case as yours is same as Params we'll use ADS72.

So assuming we use the above codes, we do this:

In Terminal (found under Applications > Utilities folder on Mac hard drive) type:

sudo su

Enter password (if asked)

1) Delete AppleHDA.kext by typing:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) Type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents

sudo pico Info.plist

change the string under Intel ICH6 and Nvidia AC97 sections to:

<string>0x27d88086</string>

In the case of the Nvidia section, place the string in front of the other existing IDs like this:

<string>0x27d88086 0x27de8086</string>

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

3) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Type:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/info.plist

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

change the string to:

<string>0x11d41981</string>

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

4) Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

change the string to:

<string>0x27d88086</string>

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

5) Change the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext file:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Add ADS72 under <string>IOAC97CodecDevice</string>:

<key>PNPVendorID</key>

<string>ADS72 ADS75 ADS74 ADS73</string>

chmod -R 644 Info.plist

6) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:

reboot

Do remember to replace my Intel controller device ID with your correct one for it to work!

I have just corrected my guide above.

It should work in 99% of cases with those using Soundmax chipsets.

As far as I know, on some AD AC97 chips like 1888 it will give you full 6 channel sound plus input, while some HD chips like AD1986HD it can achieve 2 channel sound with no input. I think the reason for this is the HD chipsets need to use AppleHDA to control the codec.

You can also double check your system after installation using System Profiler > Extensions and check if the following files are in place to be working:

AppleAC97Audio

AppleAC97AudioIntel or AppleAC97AudioVIA

AppleAzaliaAudio

AppleAzaliaController

first off thanks for your guide!

i've been trying for a few weeks to get my sound working, and it appears it should work, but i still get no sound out at all.

im using the string

0x11d41986 for my codec

and

0x27d88086 for my controller

it's an intel ICH7-m

i have msged some other members of the board who have the same laptop as I (asus w3j) and they havent had any luck either. could there be a reason it just wont work with this laptop? you mentioned something about some newer cards not supporting ac97. could this have something to do with it?

the kexts show they are loaded and i can control the sliders

if there's any other info you need please let me know

any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

HI Middleman, I checked in system prof:

I can find only AppleAzaliaAudio/Controller but there is a dependecy missing: IOHDAudioFamily, strange because it appear right loaded! IOHDAudioFamily.kext is not in System/Library/Extensions but in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ and it's empty.

Middleman,

Apology for late feedback. To get my wifi working, had to re-install coz i messed up some files. After re-installing, i decided not to install Conexant_HD_Audio package. So before making any changes i had no sounds at all working. After making changes output device detected but not input.

For your easy reference took screenshots of terminal on the relevant files i've modified the string values:-

1.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH:

AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.tiff

2.AppleAzaliaAudio:

AppleAzaliaAudio.tiff

3.AppleAzaliaController:

AppleAzaliaController.tiff

4.AppleAC97CodecAD198x:

AppleAC97CodecAD198x.tiff

If you are using an Intel setup, you could also try another test by changing the IDs on both AppleAzaliaAudio and AppleAzaliaController both to the Microsoft UAA IDs. I think this method might work with some other codecs other than ADI.

What I did?

1. sudo su followed by password

2. sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/info.plist

- Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w): <key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

- change the string to codec ID from 0x11d41981 to 0x27D88086

- Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to quit

3.realised i need to be in correct directory to do chown & chmod so

- cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents

- chown -R root:wheel Info.plist

- chmod -R 644 Info.plist

4.cd /System/Library/Extensions/

- chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

- chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

- sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

- sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

- kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

5.reboot

Hope my steps above were correct.

Result: audio output still ok, audio input still not ok.

Next step: I am ready for more coding... Middleman.

blindmanonacid Were you able to have your soundMax HD working

I have the same set-up tryed everything

read the post like a zilllion time tryed and tryed but nothing

( lenovo x61 built in sound card )

VEN 11D4

DEV 1984

(bus drive Intel)

VEN 8086

DEV 284B

Thank you

blindmanonacid Were you able to have your soundMax HD working?

No, unfortunately not. The AD1984 is different from the ones Middleman is talking about (as far as I've gathered) because it's a HD soundcard. The Vendor and Device ID we got, but I think we're still missing something similar to what one finds in the datasheet of the AD1986, an ADS number of some sort..

I've emailed Analog Devices to get the info from them but they were reluctant and seemed to misunderstand me on purpose. ;)

Tell me if you get anywhere!