Abit IP35-E everything works except waking from sleep

99 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to build a IP35-E based system with an E6750 Core 2 Duo. I have burned Brazil 10.5 DVD and I'd like to install Leopard straight from the DVD if possible. I have an IDE DVD drive and a SATA HDD. Does anyone know if the Brazil Patch includes the fix that will get SATA working on the IP35-E? If not, is it possible for me to add them to the patch then make a new DVD?

Leo 10.5.1 running here. V5 PC_EFI. Everything works great except...shutdown, reset, sleep. *SIGH* Audio works, but only 2 channel. Can't complain about the performance, though.

Results 243.25

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.1 (9B18)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model Mac Pro

Drive Type Maxtor 6L250S0

CPU Test 207.67

GCD Loop 426.00 22.46 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 205.55 4.88 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 164.88 5.44 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 167.12 29.10 Mops/sec

Thread Test 328.53

Computation 323.44 6.55 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 333.78 14.36 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 264.59

System 311.40

Allocate 476.27 1.75 Malloc/sec

Fill 249.10 12111.62 MB/sec

Copy 284.10 5867.98 MB/sec

Stream 230.02

Copy 223.21 4610.39 MB/sec

Scale 219.86 4542.21 MB/sec

Add 240.38 5120.60 MB/sec

Triad 238.01 5091.72 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 348.54

Line 279.08 18.58 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 380.22 113.52 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 302.14 24.63 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 290.70 7.33 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 723.37 45.25 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 375.45

Spinning Squares 375.45 476.27 frames/sec

User Interface Test 530.13

Elements 530.13 2.43 Krefresh/sec

Disk Test 102.88

Sequential 107.88

Uncached Write 99.29 60.97 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 98.71 55.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 142.69 41.76 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 101.33 50.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 98.33

Uncached Write 74.78 7.92 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 103.84 33.24 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 101.20 0.72 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 128.31 23.81 MB/sec [256K blocks]

And that is with a crappy ass drive too. I would KILL for ICH9R support, I know my disk speed would be through the roof. Generic AHCI just isn't cutting it for me.

I recently bought this board with the hopes of installing osx on it. Of course i got the "/com.apple.boot.plist not found". I was told to use sata only, tried that. Still didn't work. I tried using the 10.5 flat image. Still nothing... then i came across your thread. I wasn't aware that you could install with vmware, and then boot it nativly. I was wondering if you could point me to a guide. I havn't be able to find one that makes much sense. Thanks

I recently bought this board with the hopes of installing osx on it. Of course i got the "/com.apple.boot.plist not found". I was told to use sata only, tried that. Still didn't work. I tried using the 10.5 flat image. Still nothing... then i came across your thread. I wasn't aware that you could install with vmware, and then boot it nativly. I was wondering if you could point me to a guide. I havn't be able to find one that makes much sense. Thanks

One of the guides that I used was written by pcwiz, a member on this forum. Unfortunately, I deleted my bookmarks relating to VMWare installation. You may also want to PM pcwiz, as he appears to know this vmware installation business very well. I googled using pcwiz and vmware as keywords. Here is what I found.

http://######.com/software/vmwareosx86.htm

See also

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

Make sure that you set your destination volume as "physical disk"

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mumford thanks for the guide,I'm trying on the same MB ,can you tell me some of the settings on install of uphuck 10.4.9 what you checked and didn't cause after install I get among other things,"You are running a 64-bit op system,but the virtual machine is config to run 32-bit so Power off and change guest to 64-bit in VM Machine settings", then the second screen "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system.You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point".Then it goes to the dark grey screen that I got when I tried Leopard that gives panic unresolved kernel trap(CPU 0......).Any idea what I'm doing different?Thanks bud...

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all and happy new year!

I'm just wondering two things. First, if you patch a leopard or tiger DVD image with the correct ICH9 kext values, will the SATA DVD drive be recognized at boot-up?

Second, if you add the kexts for sil3132 to the install image, could you boot into the SATA DVD drive if it is connected to the PCI-E card?

Lastly, what are the manufacturers that make a PCI-E SATA II card that uses the sil3132 specifically?

I have an IP35-E on its way from the egg, and I'd really hate to return it given the stellar reviews.

Thanks!

First, if you patch a leopard or tiger DVD image with the correct ICH9 kext values, will the SATA DVD drive be recognized at boot-up?

Yes

Second, if you add the kexts for sil3132 to the install image, could you boot into the SATA DVD drive if it is connected to the PCI-E card?

Yes

Lastly, what are the manufacturers that make a PCI-E SATA II card that uses the sil3132 specifically?

Rosewill from newegg.com.

Hi mumford, thanks for replying so fast.

So what I'm taking from this is, if the edits to all the kexts are made *inside the install image*, and the image is burned to disc, one can avoid the boot.plist problem you were only able to work around by installing as a virtual machine. Is this correct?

Second, I have looked at the Info.plist for AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, and there is no entry for ICH9 ATA100 nor ICH9 SATA. I'm not sure how to edit this file. Is there a way you can make your modified .kexts public?

Thanks so much!

if the edits to all the kexts are made *inside the install image*, and the image is burned to disc, one can avoid the boot.plist problem you were only able to work around by installing as a virtual machine. Is this correct?

The answer is probably yes. I only have installed Tiger using a virtual machine in order to avoid boot.plist problem

Second, I have looked at the Info.plist for AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, and there is no entry for ICH9 ATA100 nor ICH9 SATA. I'm not sure how to edit this file. Is there a way you can make your modified .kexts public?

You plugged the ID numbers into the entry with ICH8 heading. There is a ICH9 kext floating on this forum. You may wish to do a search.

What I did was steps described on the link that I provided. No modified kexts will be provided.

Hey Mumford I'm gonna try your install I'm downloading the Uphuck,my question is which did you install first Uphuck or Kaly(what did you choose in Customize)and after install what did you use the other one for.I don't need a guide just some specifics,so I don't have to go crazy trying on different things.And on the device id for ALC888 I noticed that 10EC with capital letters,I initially installed Kaly 10.5.1 everything worked except the audio and I must have tried every damn way to change Azalia but never with upper case EC.Mine was never recognized as hardware.Also I tried installing CMI8738PCIAudio card that others have installed and it doesn't see any cards on the PCI slots.Anyways sorry for the long thread.Just give me some pointers for the install order and choices,I already know VMWare6.Thanks in advance

Hey Mumford I'm gonna try your install I'm downloading the Uphuck,my question is which did you install first Uphuck or Kaly(what did you choose in Customize)and after install what did you use the other one for.

Kaly is really just an extended Uphuck. My options for both are the same. Leave everything standard (i.e. choose no options) except video. Please note that this is for Tiger, and Leo has EFI. So, it will be different. Initially I installed Uphuck and then I wiped the drive and installed Kaly. I still have the Kely ISO, but I have deleted Uphuck ISO from my hard drive.

but never with upper case EC.Mine was never recognized as hardware.

Very case sensitive -- I made the same mistake initially and it took me a while to figure it out.

Also I tried installing CMI8738PCIAudio card that others have installed and it doesn't see any cards on the PCI slots.

Can't help you here, as I have no experience of what's going on. But those $5 USB sound card that you can get from Ebay works without any problem. So consider it as an option instead of fixing OSX audio.

Anyways sorry for the long thread.Just give me some pointers for the install order and choices,I already know VMWare6.Thanks in advance

Once you get the basic OSX up and running, you can fix the rest of the stuffs in any order that you want.

So you actually erased Uphuck installation completely,and you're running om Kaly?If I install Kaly straight won't it be the same?Thanks for the tip with the USB Audio.And finally just to make sure on the audio fix you see the hardware in System profile or anywhere else under audio?Thanks in advance for your time bud...

So you actually erased Uphuck installation completely,and you're running om Kaly?If I install Kaly straight won't it be the same?

Yes. Just install Kally. Forget Uphuck.

And finally just to make sure on the audio fix you see the hardware in System profile or anywhere else under audio?

the answer is no. System profile does not indicate anyting about audio, but audio is working.

Hey Mumford I installed twice and both times it keeps restarting,the only difference from yours is that I'm using a Sata drive not IDE,I do have a internal sata controller card Sil..32 not sire if 1232 or something similar,don't want to open it up,and am using an Visiontek x1650pro that works natively with Kaly 10.5.1,so one of these is the problem.Any suggestions.Did you use IDE Hard then Sata or what,no I see that you used Sata natively with your Sil.Could it be the video card I did choose Natit x1600.I backed up all the kexts from my other 10.5.1 install I wonder if I can write some of the kexts to extensions folder via terminal?

Gotta say a big thanks to you Mumford, it's this thread and info which helped me make up my mind between the Gigabyte DS3 and the Abit... I love this mobo (and very sorry to hear you've had to RMA.. hope it works out well and quick.. what happened btw?), I got the IP35 dark raider (not the e or pro) and was able to install Uphuck iAtkos 1.0i from DVD Drive (Sata - Samsung SH203B) to Sata Western Digital AAKS HDD.. (DVD must be on Sata 1, HDD must be on on Sata 3.. rather odd!).. amazed at how smoothly it went as things don't usually work out that way for me :) (other than the messing with the sata ports/drives to avoid the usual and expected 'waiting for root device' farce, but once installed you can flip the drive config (physically) back to however you want)

Vanilla Kernel/NVinject chosen from custom Install menu only (gigabyte 7600gs)

Only needed to patch network (cheers again for the info mumford), didn't bother with sound as I use a nice audio interface. of course, I also have issues with restart, sleep and power off (although logging out and selecting shutdown from there will work).. I'm using a Q6600 quad core CPU and have read that one core is likely still left open so the shutdown/restart issue here may well be compounded.

Mumford, Just wondering why you have gone for Kaly and sacked uphuck (iAtkos).. thinking I'm maybe missing a trick?.. iAtkos seems to be running quite nicely once I hit the desktop but does take a lot longer than it should to boot.. approximately 90 - 120 secs.

Brywalkers XBench disk results are way better than mine also... I shall post them later, but I'm wondering again if I've missed something here.. the random access is particularly poor.. somewhere in line with mumford's disk results, I'm using the IDE setting rather than AHCI.. drives are all Sata Western Digital AAKS, primary drive partioned... XP partition 1, Leopard Partition 2.

Gica I'd definately give it a go without natit or other gfx selected if you haven't already. at what point does it restart?

I can easily live with the power management situation, but the one and only use for this machine is a Digital Audio Workstation and after seeing those XBench results against mine (from memory as I'm supposed to be working right now :P ) I'm more than a little bit worried about the speed of my drives.

any thoughts/advice would be very very welcome..

and Mumford... I owe you big time, can't thank you enough for the heads up on this motherboard and I really do appreciate silent computing.. just can't really afford it after the hardware outlay.. so its with my other systems buried in a cupboard under and above piles of no name accoustic foam and fibreglass board... a very unelegant solution.. but it works for the time being :(

the only difference from yours is that I'm using a Sata drive not IDE,
Wrong. My Samsung hard drive is a Sata hard drive. In fact, I have no IDE devices.
I do have a internal sata controller card Sil..32 not sire if 1232 or something similar,don't want to open it up,and am using an Visiontek x1650pro that works natively with Kaly 10.5.1,so one of these is the problem.Any suggestions.
No suggestion.
Did you use IDE Hard then Sata or what,no I see that you used Sata natively with your Sil.Could it be the video card I did choose Natit x1600.I backed up all the kexts from my other 10.5.1 install I wonder if I can write some of the kexts to extensions folder via terminal?
This computer is built exclusively for OSX and no IDE devices were ever used. My guess is that your problem is related to the video card too, and you may want to ask some questions on the hardware forum. You may need to use natit, but I am not sure which one. And yes, you can edit kexts via terminal.
I love this mobo (and very sorry to hear you've had to RMA.. hope it works out well and quick.. what happened btw?),
Not really sure. I have no boot and no beep, after clearing CMOS and replacing the battery.
Mumford, Just wondering why you have gone for Kaly and sacked uphuck (iAtkos).. thinking I'm maybe missing a trick?.. iAtkos seems to be running quite nicely once I hit the desktop but does take a lot longer than it should to boot.. approximately 90 - 120 secs.
Because I have not installed Leo. Uphuck was 10.4.9 amd Kaly was 10.4.10. I decided that it is easier to just install 10.4.10 instead of trying to upgrade to the same from Uphuck.
and Mumford... I owe you big time, can't thank you enough for the heads up on this motherboard and I really do appreciate silent computing..
You are welcome. I demand silent computing and the main reason why I absolutely hate the Apple Mac Pro ( it is just too f^%^&%^& noisy)

just got my ip35-e board yesterday. i successfully installed jas 10.4.8 through vmware. now how to boot mac os x natively without using vmware?

If you installed osx onto a hard drive. You just set that hard drive as the boot drive in the abit bios. It should boot natively.

after setting my hard drive my installation booted. but its stuck on the apple logo and nothing more happens.

my specs:

q6600

ip35-e

Palit 7300GT Sonic

2gb team elite ram

160gb Seagate SATA

80gb Seagate PATA

LG DVDRW SATA

after setting my hard drive my installation booted. but its stuck on the apple logo and nothing more happens.

my specs:

q6600

ip35-e

Palit 7300GT Sonic

2gb team elite ram

160gb Seagate SATA

80gb Seagate PATA

LG DVDRW SATA

Boot with "-v -x" and see where the crash occurred. You may need the SIL 3132.

"Waiting for boot volume" means that OSX does not have the driver to read your booting hard drive. I wrote about this problem in my earliest posts. My solution is to use a SIL3132 card for Tiger.

On the other hand, Leopard has EFI and may not require a SIL3132 card. I can not confirm or deny such possibility, as I have not installed Leopard. Heck, I still have not received a replacement mobo yet.

im getting this error. i tried Jas and Uphuck version. same errors...

DSC00870.jpg