[HOWTO] OpenGL and Quartz Extreme working PERFECTLY on Radeon 7500

idumych

62 posts in this topic

Hi guys !

For the moment, i have still no luck with the radeon M6C-16H (Mobility Radeon 7000) with its poor 16MB. (Which are shown as 15MB in the darwin boot ... stranges things ...)

I installed AGPgart (v2.7.1) and Natit which seems to detect the card but no luck, i get a blackscreen and nothing more when it changes resolution before going to the loginApplication.

Strange, but i feel some sort of gain. I hope i will get a fix to this blackscreen thing.

I'll keep you informed ;)

I'm back ... and sorry guys, i have tried everything i could but i ended with no luck.

I think the fact that Leopard is working under OpenGL 2.0 is the problem + the fact that the video card has less than 32Mb ...

-> AGPgart v2.7.1 : works well and enables fast writes throught AGP. It recognizes the card : 1002:4c59 (ATI Radeon Mobility 7000 // IBM M6C-16H)

-> Natit Universal : seems to detect the card as it should (the Info.plist include the card as "M6" // "Mobility Radeon". But when used, ends with black screen before LoginApplication shows up.(even if i remove AGPgart)

-> Callisto b008 : Do the same as Natit Universal ... black screen just before the LoginApplication. (same thing if AGPgart is removed)

-> OpenGL.framework (form Tiger : v1.4) : Tried replacing and it has done the same result when Natit or Callisto loads.

If i remove Callisto or Natit, Leopard loads up LoginApplication but when i type my password and validate, it stays blocked just before showing up Finder.

So ... i don't know what to do ... perhaps buying another Laptop :P ... or just buying a MacBook 13" aluminium :D ...

But if i do so, i wouldn't have anymore the spirit of moding kexts :D

Of course ... a PC that has mac is a revolutionnary thing ! but if we take the reverse situation : a mac with windows ... it's just a good joke :censored2:

See ya !

PS : idumych or ozeinab87 ... if you've got some more luck than me or if you're more dev than me (as i'm not) let us know !!!

PS2 : perhaps there is no way of getting this card to work under Leopard. It appears that Apple made some drastic changes from Tiger to Leopard ...

• 1 month later...

Can someone post the package? The one listed has some missing file....

I dunno how but I manage to enable the QE.... still has no CI though.. as far as I know that Radeon Mobility 7500 doesn't support OpenGL shader therefore shouldn't be able to get CI to work(and I hope I'm wrong)

Any update from the other folks?

Cheers

Andy

I'm running ideneb v1.4 Leopard 10.5.6 on Thinkpad T42 2373-4WU w/Radeon 7500 (If you need to know how I install ideneb v1.4 on T42... check wiki osx86 on 10.5.6 and follow the instruction there on how to install ideneb on T42. A bit tricky but I did it.) edited : Link to install ideneb v1.4

P.S. very important... just so y'all who is using thinkpad T42, go to lenovo link to find out exactly what kind of hardware you have in your T42. Not all the T42 has the same wifi, graphic and etcs.

There are 2373 and 2374 revision and many sub revision for T42.

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe someone can help with installing IPC 10.5.6 on T41 so far I have come very far in putting the system together.

The only problem, i can not not solve is QE working with Radeon 7500

I already try everything I found on the forum but no success.

Please help!

s55ac: Maybe someone can help with installing IPC 10.5.6 on T41 so far I have come very far in putting the system together.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but is there a chance that you haven't read the posts of this thread, especially what simkard wrote?

There's no chance of getting QE enabled with Leopard on any Radeon 7500 driven system. This Radeon is too old and doesn't support OpenGL 2.0. But the OpenGL framework in Leopard relies on 2.0 and doesn't support 1.1 anymore.

Thanks for the the reply, unfortunately I am back on xp.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but is there a chance that you haven't read the posts of this thread, especially what simkard wrote?

There's no chance of getting QE enabled with Leopard on any Radeon 7500 driven system. This Radeon is too old and doesn't support OpenGL 2.0. But the OpenGL framework in Leopard relies on 2.0 and doesn't support 1.1 anymore.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Maybe someone can help with installing IPC 10.5.6 on T41 so far I have come very far in putting the system together.

Please help!

radeon 7500 supports opengl 1.3 , to run quartz on 10.5.x as i know we need video card with opengl 2.0

Can anybody confirm that ?

Sorry to bump such an old thread - but did anyone get this working on Leopard? An entry for IBM T42 in the wiki for 10.5.6 implies that it does....

radeon 7500 supports opengl 1.3 , to run quartz on 10.5.x as i know we need video card with opengl 2.0

Sorry to bump such an old thread - but did anyone get this working on Leopard? An entry for IBM T42 in the wiki for 10.5.6 implies that it does....

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
sorry to bumb but i really need the files! Please pm me or post this on the fourms

No problem, send me your Adress and i send you the package. Cause i don't know how to use the uploaders.

But for the facts: the JAS compilation 10.4.8 is the best for T40 or R40, everything is working + QE! Tiger, but in Leopard.

So what have I done:

- Atkos V7 on T40, everything is working except QE !!!

- install 7500 driver package

- install kext's tweaked for my card

- install callisto B006

- and the radeon tool.

And now:

Radeon Mobility 7500:

Chipsatz-Modell: Radeon Mobility 7500

Typ: Monitor

Bus: AGP

VRAM (gesamt): 32 MB

Hersteller: ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x4c57

Versions-ID: 0x0000

Monitore:

Farb-LCD:

Auflösung: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Software

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Nicht unterstützt

QuartzGL: Unterstützt

So in this fact, my loading looks like this:

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: radeonTool:Initializing

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: radeonTool:Probing

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: CallistoHAL Initialized!

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: radeonTool iomemory length: 0x10000 @ 0xc0120000

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: radeonTool virt: 0x3586d000 physical: 0xc0120000

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: radeonTool IRQ: 11, Vendor ID: 1002, Product ID: 4c57

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: radeonTool:Starting

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: radeonTool:PowerManagement setting power state:1

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Reading RADEON_LVDS_GEN_CNTL

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: The radeon backlight looks on

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: writing RADEON_LVDS_GEN_CNTL (2d0) -> 000dffa1

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Reading RADEON_DAC_CNTL

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: The radeon external DAC looks on

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: writing RADEON_DAC_CNTL (58) -> ff604102

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: omni's ATI Driver&FrameBuffer, build 006, 20-May-2006

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Model Radeon Mobility 7500 (rs200)

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: MMIO range@0x18 (c0120000) mapped to kernel virtual address 0x35892000

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: 32 MB DDR found on 64 bit wide bus

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: VRAM range@0x10 (e0000000:02000000)

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Found ROM @0xc0000

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Legacy ATI BIOS detected

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: PLL values from Legacy BIOS: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=18300, min_freq=12000, max_freq=35000

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Port[0] DDC: DDC_DVI, DAC: TVDAC, TMDS: Internal, Connector: DVI-D

Jan 6 13:28:25 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Port[1] DDC: DDC_VGA, DAC: Primary, TMDS: Unknown, Connector: CRT

Jan 6 13:28:26 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Non-DDC laptop panel detected

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Found Monitor: LCD

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: panel ID string: 1024x768

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: detected LVDS panel size from BIOS: 1024x768

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: BIOS provided dividers will be used

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Default panel mode: 1024x768, dot clock: 6500

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: Flat Panel values:

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Xres: 1024, Yres: 768, isValid: 1, dotclock: 6500

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: HOver_plus: 16, HSync_width: 136, Hblank: 320

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: VOver_plus: 2, VSync_width: 6, Vblank: 38

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: HAct_high: 1, VAct_high: 1, interlaced: 0

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: pwr_delay: 1000, use_bios_dividers: 1

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: ref_div: 6, post_div: 2, fb_div: 58

Jan 6 13:28:27 jean-picards-macbook-air kernel[0]: Callisto: done with Radeon Mobility 7500

That's all what i can do. I have tried everything what i know, but i'm not a programmer.

But i think it is possible to enable the QE.

I'm nearly to the answer!

So try to help me!

How can i change the open GL to 1.3?

or

how can i change the QE enable processes?

P.S. Perhaps someone can use my data!

• 5 months later...
Ok, after experiencing the frustration that is setting up the Radeon 7500 to work properly, I present this howto. As far as I know, there is no single how to that covers every little thing you need to do to get both OpenGL and Quartz Extreme working fully, but now you can accomplish this as I did!

1. First, you need to download my file pack from this post. Extract it as-is on the desktop somewhere.

2. Open a terminal.

3. Do this: sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

This removes the old drivers.

4. Drag and drop all the files from my Extensions folder you just downloaded into yours, authenticating when prompted.

5. Hit the back button in the finder, and open the Frameworks folder.

6. do this in the terminal: sudo rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL*

7. Drag and drop the new OpenGL file into Extensions.

8. Now it gets tricky: You need to duplicate some of the instructions from the original 7500 pack I got these files from (unfortuately, the original pack's instructions are incomplete)

"Instructions:

1. Run the Installer Package. Do NOT reboot yet.

2. Open Terminal and enter in the following

ioreg -l

1. Locate AGP in the output. It will most likely be listed as AGP@1, but your machine may differ. You will see "compatible" = <"pcixxxx,xxxx","pciclass,xxxxxx">

The first set is the item you should note.

Enter the following at Terminal:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

Locate:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci8086,2561</string>

</array>

Change this to reflect the information you got above.

cntrl-o, enter, cntrl-x

Now enter the following at the Terminal prompt:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

Now enter the following at the Terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add the following in the middle somewhere after the Kernel key, but before a Quiet Boot or Boot Graphics key.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f</string>

cntrl-o, enter, cntrl-x

Now open Disk Utility to be safe (this stepp is not required, but highly recommended) and run Repair Permissions on your disk."

9. Now that you've done all that, there' still one more step, which I learned from 7500-working.doc, found on these forums.

"First, open up a terminal session and go to the location of those temporay files, and tweak the contents of the AGPGART package. Go to AGPGART.kext/Contents/Info.plist and edit it as root. (sudo nano Info.plist) ??We want the kernel to recognize the 855PM GART interface as the AGP GART. ?Look for the line beneath IONameMatch that reads pci8086,2561. It should now be pci8086,3341. (Thinkpad T30 or Dell C640 users with the i845MP should use pci8086,1a31 instead.??Save it. (Use Ctrl-X, y to save and exit)"

Since I have a latitude 640, I used the one that step reccomended. Your mileage may vary.

Once all this jazz is taken care of, it's time to make doubly sure the permissions are right.

10. Do this in terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext?sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext?sudo chown -R root:wheel *.plugin?sudo chmod -R 755 *.plugin

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/?sudo chown -R root:wheel OpenGL.Framework?sudo chmod -R 755 OpenGL.Framework

Ok, cross your fingers, and reboot!

Thx,I try it now,if it works,give you a kiss. ;)

• 1 year later...