how best to improve vm's performance?

5 posts in this topic

I heard that running a vm located on a different HDD would improve both host and guest OSes' performance.

Now if I'm running a vm purely for downloading (e.g. utorrent), I won't save any downloaded files within the vm - I would need to create a share between host (e.g. OSX) and guest OS (e.g. windows) to save downloaded files. Putting the share folder on yet another HDD would be the best solution (performance wise), or would it? If I only have 2 HDDs, what's the best configuration?

Thanks!!!

IMHO, it will not help any.

Drive Access will take longer.

What is your purpose anyway of using vm purely for downloading?

Well, in my case, i only use it purely for testing purposes.

Anyhow, what specific performance were you trying to achieve?

Precisely, drive access takes time, which is very relevant for BT downloading (lots of read/write). If file downloaded is on the same drive as the vm, that would affect the vm's performance, right? I have a vm purely for downloading and shared among different OSes - so I can continue downloading regardless which OS I'm in. I also have a vm purely for work (when I need to access MS software).

so you have multiple virtual machines. and so you can switch to other os'es without having to reboot your pc and that youll not interrupt your downloads.

not bad..

well in my case, i use an old low-end pc to for dedicated download station, which is controlled via kvm.

***if you want more vmware performance, increase your resources, add memory or use scsi/sata2 drives, or used a quad core cpu or at least dual core.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard that running a vm located on a different HDD would improve both host and guest OSes' performance.

Now if I'm running a vm purely for downloading (e.g. utorrent), I won't save any downloaded files within the vm - I would need to create a share between host (e.g. OSX) and guest OS (e.g. windows) to save downloaded files. Putting the share folder on yet another HDD would be the best solution (performance wise), or would it? If I only have 2 HDDs, what's the best configuration?

Thanks!!!

I have a little collection of speed up tips on my InsanelyMac Blog. Visit my blog and scroll down until you see Speed-up Tips for Mac OS X in VMware. Follow the tips and your VM should be a bit faster.