how to backup/image/clone osx partition?

rei

31 posts in this topic

Heck of a discussion... but I'm no nearer to an efficient means for restoring a working backup of OSx86 after a failed bout tinkering with kexts; I'm getting fairly discouraged by the reinstall process too.

Apparently something happens to the disk during the JAS install that doesn't replicate during a CCC or SuperDuper backup routine. DISK BOOT FAILURE inevitable.

The Ghost solution sounds plausible for now, I guess. Maybe a hardware RAID mirror would work to get an exact copy of an OSx86 installation onto another disk. Break the mirror to tinker; rebuild with the working backup; repeat.

Comments?

Brian Stanfill

Palmer, Alaska

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, Make your cloned disk active and restrart using System pref, when it is loaded you can restore it normally, (instead you can use CCC also)

on my normal mac mini, i make an image to another partition or hard drive using superduper and then boot using cd to use the disk utility to restore the dmg file overwriting the boot drive.

i did this the other night only to find out that the jas 10.4.8 boot dvd's disk utility doesn't let me choose/specify anything as the target disk...i could specify source image but could not get it to specify destination.

any ideas?

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this is still relevant to anyone but I use SystemRescueCD, have done so for years, google it. Its a Linux boot CD, its recovered my Windows installations on many occasions. The Disk management tool on it is GParted so check to see if that supports what you need. The copy tool is DD command line tools but I can use it fine and I'm no programmer.

Sorry if that's no use, I'll need to make a backup myself soon so will be looking into it.