TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas on getting tabletmagic to work with the wacom isdv4 that is connected to the internal usb hub of my Lenovo Thinkpad x220t? OSX detects the tablet out of the box but the stylus doesn't map to the cursor properly, it becomes progressively offset as you move the stylus to the edge of the screen. Perhaps if there is a way to scale tablet movement so that it fits to the screen using some native feature of OSX that would work - I've noticed this is a common situation but am yet to come across a solution.

Cheers

it becomes progressively offset as you move the stylus to the edge of the screen.

Have you tried adjusting the tablet dimensions under the TabletPC tab in the TabletMagic preference pane? There's no way to consistently detect tablet dimensions —except for those few digitizers that respond to '*'— so that's why this utility was added to the Preference Pane.

Thanks for your reply Scott! That's another mystery - the tabletpc tab doesn't appear - not as far as I can see. Where would I find it exactly (I have looked - a lot, and tried to use -F also). Does Tabletmagic work with a tablet connected over internal usb? I should add that when I say OSX detects the tablet out of the box - I mean it works without any 3rd party drivers installed. I'd prefer to use tabletmagic because it'd allow me to remap the interface so that the cursor lines up with the stylus.

I managed to successfully install OSX 10.7.2 on my Motion LE1700, complete with tablet support, thanks to this fine person that made Tabletmagic. I do have a backup, but now that I've upgraded to 10.7.4 (via combo update), I can't make the tablet work again.

I've tried removing Apple16x50Serial.kext, rebooting, and putting it back with Kext Helper (and I checked inside it to make sure it referenced WACF004.) It does detect serial0, and Tabletmagic says it's a Tablet PC. Console output gets the geometry, if that's any help. I don't know anything else to tell you that would be useful. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a Lenovo W510 with Wacom multitouch screen. Based on the system profile information it is an ISD-V4 tablet:

ISD-V4

Product ID: 0x00e2

Vendor ID: 0x056a (WACOM Co., Ltd.)

Version: b.1b

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Tablet

Location ID: 0x1d180000 / 3

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 0

Are there any chance that I could use this tablet under OSX with (or without) TabletMagic?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Lenovo W510 with Wacom multitouch screen. Based on the system profile information it is an ISD-V4 tablet:

ISD-V4

Product ID: 0x00e2

Are there any chance that I could use this tablet under OSX with (or without) TabletMagic?

Sounds like it should work, especially as people are able to use the Windows generic ISD-V4 driver with it. You might need the same enabler that X61t users need to turn on the internal serial port. Check out this post and see if the linked enabler does anything for you.

Sounds like it should work, especially as people are able to use the Windows generic ISD-V4 driver with it. You might need the same enabler that X61t users need to turn on the internal serial port. Check out this post and see if the linked enabler does anything for you.

Thank you for your reply. I've tried but not working. I can't see any serial ports under System Profile and TabletMagic can't find the table or port neither. How can I verify that the enabler is working? For me it seems this tablet is not connected to a hidden serial port but to an internal USB port maybe with a serial/USB converter. Or?

Thank you for your reply. I've tried but not working. I can't see any serial ports under System Profile and TabletMagic can't find the table or port neither. How can I verify that the enabler is working? For me it seems this tablet is not connected to a hidden serial port but to an internal USB port maybe with a serial/USB converter. Or?

It's very common for USB devices to have a simple RS232-based circuit, usually FTDI-based. What does System Profiler app show in the USB tree? You can also examine the hardware device tree and see if any digitizers appear there. The easiest way to do this is to use:

ioreg -lx | grep -A15 -E "\+-o (DIGI|WACM)" | grep -m1 \"name\"

This is the same test that TabletMagic uses to search for a digitizer when modifying the .kext .plist. Once the .plist has been modified the serial port should at least appear, so if you're not seeing any special serial ports after using the Enable Digitizer button then perhaps it's not being exposed as a serial device.

It's very common for USB devices to have a simple RS232-based circuit, usually FTDI-based. What does System Profiler app show in the USB tree? You can also examine the hardware device tree and see if any digitizers appear there. The easiest way to do this is to use:

ioreg -lx | grep -A15 -E "\+-o (DIGI|WACM)" | grep -m1 \"name\"

This is the same test that TabletMagic uses to search for a digitizer when modifying the .kext .plist. Once the .plist has been modified the serial port should at least appear, so if you're not seeing any special serial ports after using the Enable Digitizer button then perhaps it's not being exposed as a serial device.

I can see the USB tablet in the USB tree (without TabletEnabler kext):

| |   |   +-o ISD-V4@1d180000  <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x1000002aa, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (15694 ms), retain 11>
    | |   |   | | {
    | |   |   | |   "sessionID" = 0xf6e1cd1b
    | |   |   | |   "iManufacturer" = 0x1
    | |   |   | |   "bNumConfigurations" = 0x1
    | |   |   | |   "idProduct" = 0xe2
    | |   |   | |   "bcdDevice" = 0xb1b
    | |   |   | |   "Bus Power Available" = 0xfa
    | |   |   | |   "bMaxPacketSize0" = 0x8
    | |   |   | |   "USB Product Name" = "ISD-V4"
    | |   |   | |   "iProduct" = 0x2
    | |   |   | |   "iSerialNumber" = 0x0
    | |   |   | |   "USB Address" = 0x3
    | |   |   | |   "bDeviceClass" = 0x0
    | |   |   | |   "locationID" = 0x1d180000
    | |   |   | |   "bDeviceSubClass" = 0x0
    | |   |   | |   "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
    | |   |   | |   "PortNum" = 0x8
    | |   |   | |   "non-removable" = "yes"
    | |   |   | |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}
    | |   |   | |   "bDeviceProtocol" = 0x0
    | |   |   | |   "USB Vendor Name" = "Tablet"
    | |   |   | |   "Device Speed" = 0x1
    | |   |   | |   "idVendor" = 0x56a
    | |   |   | |   "Requested Power" = 0x0
    | |   |   | |   "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
    | |   |   | |   "Low Power Displayed" = No
    | |   |   | | }

But the name is not WACM* or DIG*.

TabletMagic is implemented entirely as a user space daemon so it can't do anything with USB-based digitizers. For your digitizer someone will need to create an HID kernel driver. Unfortunately that's outside the realm of my knowledge.

TabletMagic is implemented entirely as a user space daemon so it can't do anything with USB-based digitizers. For your digitizer someone will need to create an HID kernel driver. Unfortunately that's outside the realm of my knowledge.

Something similar was my fear :( Anyway, thanks for the info!

• 6 months later...

Trying to install to a ThinkPad X61 Tablet. Posted to this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/87574-lenovo-thinkpad-x61-tablet/page-29?do=findComment&comment=1984221 but no response.

Managed to get Mac OS X 10.6 installed on my ThinkPad X61 Tablet using the instructions and files here: http://osxonthinkpads.wikidot.com/10-6-x-on-x60-t60-x61-coreduo-core2duo-gma950-gma3100 --- updated to10.6.7

I'm now trying to get Tablet Magic installed on it --- I edited the serial .kext, but got no port after rebooting (used WACF004 --- should I try 8?). Installing the driver resulted in the screen going dark after boot (twice now) --- system seems to be up, I can change the volume, just the screen is dark.

Initially installed w/ only an extender battery in place --- kernel panics when I try to start up w/ the regular battery in place --- is this part of the problem?

Trying WACF008 seems to have worked to get a bit farther.

I now see the tablet serial port (it shows up in Network as unconfigured --- okay?). I've tried pretty much every version of Tablet Magic I could find, but while the tablet is found and the daemon runs, the system never responds to the stylus --- a standard tablet PC penabled stylus or one from a Wacom Artz or artPad will work, right? I've been trying with the one from my Fujitsu stylistic but no joy.

Then I had the ``brilliant'' idea of setting a .plist file to load it early instead of late --- system locked up on start. Rebooting in safe mode let me change it back, but it still locks up. Tried re-loading the pref pane, but it still locks up.

Time for another re-install I guess.

Hello, i have Problems to get my X200T to work with TabletMagic. I use TabletEnabler and LegacyX60t an Serial0 shows up in Tabletmagic. Here my Output of they oreg -lx Terminal Command (The above Comand doesn't work for me): 

| | +-o Apple16X50ACPI0  <class com_apple_driver_16X50ACPI, id 0x100000280, !$
    | |   | {
    | |   |   "IOProbeScore" = 0x0
    | |   |   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI"
    | |   |   "IOProviderClass" = "IOACPIPlatformDevice"
    | |   |   "IOClass" = "com_apple_driver_16X50ACPI"
    | |   |   "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"
    | |   |   "IOKitDebug" = 0x0
    | |   |   "IOTTYBaseName" = "serial"
    | |   |   "IONameMatch" = ("PNP0501","WACF004","WACF008")
    | |   |   "Location" = "ACPI Device=DTR"
    | |   |   "IONameMatched" = "WACF008"
    | |   | }
    | |   | 
    | |   +-o Apple16X50UARTSync0  <class com_apple_driver_16X50UARTSync, id 0x10$
    | |     | {
    | |     |   "Product Name" = "Built-in Serial Port (0)"
    | |     |   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI"
    | |     |   "IOTTYBaseName" = "serial"
    | |     |   "UART Type" = "16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200"
    | |     |   "Location" = "ACPI Device=DTR Base=0x200"
    | |     |   "IOPowerManagement" = {"MaxPowerState"=0x1,"CurrentPowerState"=0x$
    | |     |   "IOTTYSuffix" = "0"
    | |     | }
    | |     | 

Please Help to determine which Tablet i have. I use an Tablet with 1280x800 instead of the 1024x768 (WAC004) and the 1440x900 (WAC008) Resolution. Also i used the VoodooPS2controller instead of the ApplePS2.

Thanks for every Answer! 

Well, I'm back to where I was.Tablet boots, sleeps, trackpoint  and keyboard work.

I can see the serial port, and tablet and query it successfully for info in Tablet magic after loading the daemon ---  it's just that the stylus doesn't work.

What else can I try?

Is it possible that the dsdt mis-identifies the serial port?

Well, I'm back to where I was.Tablet boots, sleeps, trackpoint  and keyboard work.

I can see the serial port, and tablet and query it successfully for info in Tablet magic after loading the daemon ---  it's just that the stylus doesn't work.

What else can I try?

Is it possible that the dsdt mis-identifies the serial port?

Yes, this must be your Problem. Go to your DSDT and look for a Device which is defined as:

Method (_HID, 0, NotSerialized)

You see an String like this. This is the Code for the WAC008 Device. When yours System contains a WAC004 you must edit this in your DSDT File and recompiles it.

Return (0x08F0235C)

My Problem is now located. Lion 10.7.5 isn't recognized the 64bit .kext . Don't now where is to find other 64 bit TabletEnabler's. 

Hope it help you. Sorry for my bad English 

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, im trying to get my Wacom Digitizer built-in on my Thinkpad X60 Tablet (hardware is just pen enable, not touch)

i have OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it and Tabletmagic is 2.0b20 and it already has the correct string on Apple16x50Serial.kext 

Apple16X50Serial.kext's info.plist has the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
	<string>English</string>
	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	<string>Apple16X50Serial</string>
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>com.apple.driver.Apple16X50Serial</string>
	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	<string>6.0</string>
	<key>CFBundleName</key>
	<string>Apple16X50Serial</string>
	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	<string>KEXT</string>
	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	<string>3.0</string>
	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	<string>????</string>
	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	<string>3.0</string>
	<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
	<dict>
		<key>PCI 16X50 Serial Port</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.driver.Apple16X50Serial</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>com_apple_driver_16X50PCI</string>
			<key>IOKitDebug</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>IONameMatch</key>
			<string>WACF004</string>
			<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
			<string>WACF004</string>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<integer>20000</integer>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOPCIPlatformDevice</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
	<string>1.9</string>
	<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
	<dict>
		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
		<string>2.5</string>
		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily</key>
		<string>10.0.2</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
		<string>10.0.0d4</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

but detection seems to be flaky, sometimes Tabletmagic detects Serial0 port and the digitizer can be used just fine but on the next boot the serial0 port is gone, and it goes on and on.

(tabletenabler.kext seems to be for the X61 Tablet only, as the result is the same either with the kext or without it)

a hardware failure is ruled out as both windows and linux detect the digitizer correctly on boot and its fully functional on both systems.