• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Sorry if i'm posting in a wrong topic - i got q1 ultra, which has a USB 4 pin digitizer (pretty much all what i know about it). Works rightaway with mac os, but requires calibration. Tabletmagic (dl'ed last version from sourceforge) didn't even see. I can't seem to find 'tablet pc' tab to bypass the Hardware ID detection. any1 can help?

I had a Gateway C-5815 with the same issue. Unless one of the Wacom drivers works with your tablet, you're SOL. There isn't a native, standard calibration tool.

moonislune

moonislune

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

@all
I've been playing with Quickscript some more

I've noticed that if you press the middle mouse button on the Fujitsu T2010 as you write with the pen (or after you lift the pen away, but before writing the next word), the app no longer freezes, and I'm able to send words to TextEdit, etc. (but I'm unable to correct words).

The middle mouse button has the same effect with the Lenovo X60 as well.

I'm just posting this as it may give someone (who knows more about it) some clues about what's going on.

I wish that worked for me. I even tried reassigning buttons but no-go. The weird thing is- Apple ink doesn't have that problem with Tablet Magic which makes me think it's Axiotron's software

pegasys

pegasys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
@ moonislune
What tablet are you using, what release (I'm still using iAtkos v7)

I've just tried this with a usb mouse plugged in (2 button, scroll-wheel) and pushing the scroll-wheel down has exactly the same effect. (You should press the Middle button as you write a word and before lifting the pen from the screen).

Hardly a usable solution, but it does give you the chance to try out the app with a pen. Hopefully, someone will come up with a proper fix.

moonislune

moonislune

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

@ moonislune
What tablet are you using, what release (I'm still using iAtkos v7)

I've just tried this with a usb mouse plugged in (2 button, scroll-wheel) and pushing the scroll-wheel down has exactly the same effect. (You should press the Middle button as you write a word and before lifting the pen from the screen).

Hardly a usable solution, but it does give you the chance to try out the app with a pen. Hopefully, someone will come up with a proper fix.

Great find! I'll definitely have to play around with the settings some more. Might even look at getting a new tablet pen with 2 buttons! I in running 10. 6.1 on a TC4400. Thanks for posting this, seems like there's enough of us interested in Mac tablets to keep this thread going!

pegasys

pegasys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Seems that Quickscript was developed from (and is very similar to) MyScript Stylus - which can be downloaded (Mac, Linux and Win versions) from:

http://www.visionobj...loadstylus3.htm

The Win and Linux versions work just fine (I ran them on XP, Win7 and Ubuntu 9.04) - but the Mac version behaves just like Quickscript - it freezes as soon as you lift the pen after writing the first word :)

EDIT 1: FWIW, Quickscript works without any problems on on a Asus R1F (wacom usb digitiser) and a Dell XT (ntrig usb digitiser).

EDIT 2: The second beta of Axiotron Quickscript (released Dec 8) works on serial tablets - or at least it now works on my Fujitsu T2010. Thanks to Axiotron and thanks again to Scott... :(

http://www.axiotron....hp?id=downloads

tc11228

tc11228

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Scott, I am having a weird issue with my multitouch tablet since upgrading to SL. I am usingTablet Enabler 1.1 and TM b17d1. I used TM's Enable Digitizer button to make the necessary kext changes.

TM finds serial0 and I sees ISD V4.0 in the TM panel. When I set the baud rate to 38400, TM changes it back to 19200.

I believe my tablet is being recognized as a WACF004. If I remove this line from kext, TM does not find the tablet. Once I replace it, the tablet is recognized again. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Tom

Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead

Scott Lahteine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:OSX, iOS, reprap, science!

Scott, I am having a weird issue with my multitouch tablet since upgrading to SL. I am usingTablet Enabler 1.1 and TM b17d1. I used TM's Enable Digitizer button to make the necessary kext changes.

TM finds serial0 and I sees ISD V4.0 in the TM panel. When I set the baud rate to 38400, TM changes it back to 19200.

I believe my tablet is being recognized as a WACF004. If I remove this line from kext, TM does not find the tablet. Once I replace it, the tablet is recognized again. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Hi Tom,

Interesting.... So has the digitizer ever worked for you on that computer at any point? As far as I know the WACF004 tablets run at 19200, while WACF008 tablets run at 38400. What kind of feedback do you see in the Testing tab? And finally, which model of tabletpc are you using?

tc11228

tc11228

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hi Tom,

Interesting.... So has the digitizer ever worked for you on that computer at any point? As far as I know the WACF004 tablets run at 19200, while WACF008 tablets run at 38400. What kind of feedback do you see in the Testing tab? And finally, which model of tabletpc are you using?

Scott, I am using and X61 tablet. I have an WACF008 which worked on 10.5.6 and 10.5.8. It has never worked on SL. Oz mentioned that TM was improperly recognizing his WACF004 as an 008. I seem to be having the opposite issue. It seems to recognize my digitizer as a WACF004. I say that for two reasons: 1) the digitizer does not work if I remove WACF004 from the kext file and 2) if ALWAYS drops the resolution to 19200 (I terminate the daemon and change it to 38400 but it is reset). I do not see any data in the testing tab. I hope this give you enough information to go on.

Tom

Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead

Scott Lahteine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Scott, I am using and X61 tablet. I have an WACF008 which worked on 10.5.6 and 10.5.8. It has never worked on SL. Oz mentioned that TM was improperly recognizing his WACF004 as an 008. I seem to be having the opposite issue. It seems to recognize my digitizer as a WACF004. I say that for two reasons: 1) the digitizer does not work if I remove WACF004 from the kext file and 2) if ALWAYS drops the resolution to 19200 (I terminate the daemon and change it to 38400 but it is reset). I do not see any data in the testing tab. I hope this give you enough information to go on.
Tom

You shouldn't need to worry about the tablet ID code. Whatever the "Enable Digitizer" button is setting in the relevant Info.plist file should be correct. It comes directly from the I/O Registry. If it's set to WACF004 then that's your digitizer. You can check to see what's set in the I/O Registry by using the command:

ioreg -l | grep -A15 -E "o (DIGI|WACM|COMA)"

(The -A15 flag prints out the 15 lines following the matched I/O entry, so you may need to increase the number if for some reason the digitizer code is farther down.)

The reason - perhaps - that TM is dropping back to 19200 is because when it encounters a WACF008 tablet it always tries 38400 first - automatically - and then if that fails it falls back to 19200. But you can check the console output to see exactly what it's doing... and also what it does when you try to set the baud rate to 38400 manually.

As for that, just open up the "Console" application prior to starting TabletMagic (and be sure to use the "Kill Daemon" button in the preference pane before starting it), then you can see exactly where the point of failure is in the TM startup process.

tc11228

tc11228

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Scott, The last message was a little above my newbie head. I did not receive any errors in Console. I am getting a bunch of messages about from Onyx (smithmicro).

10/16/09 5:17:04 PM System Preferences[2018] Received [model] ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)10/16/09 5:17:04 PM [0x0-0x31031].com.apple.systempreferences 2009-10-16 17:17:04.209 System Preferences[2018:903] Received [model] ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)
10/16/09 5:17:04 PM
Preferences[2018] Received [scale] 24570 18430
[0x0-0x31031].com.apple.systempreferences 2009-10-16 17:17:04.225 System Preferences[2018:903] Received [scale] 24570 1843010/16/09 5:17:04 PM System

I did not get any terminal output with the ioreg command as typed.

I wish I could be more help.

Tom

Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead

Scott Lahteine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Scott, The last message was a little above my newbie head. I did not receive any errors in Console. I am getting a bunch of messages about from Onyx...

I did not get any terminal output with the ioreg command as typed.

Hmm... it may help to press the Clear button in Console before starting too... and try it more than once.

As for the ioreg command, well you can leave out the pipe to grep and just take the full output, then use the Find command in Terminal to suss out the digitizer entry by searching for "WACF."

Without additional information I don't know what to recommend.

tc11228

tc11228

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hmm... it may help to press the Clear button in Console before starting too... and try it more than once.

As for the ioreg command, well you can leave out the pipe to grep and just take the full output, then use the Find command in Terminal to suss out the digitizer entry by searching for "WACF."

Without additional information I don't know what to recommend.

Scott, I attached information from the console and ioreg. Thank you for the help.

Tom

Attached Files

Emory Dunn

Emory Dunn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I've got a fresh install of Snow Leopard running on a Motion Computing J3400 and as with everyone here I'm having some issues getting TabletMagic to work. I have it working on Leopard until I accidentally corrupted the system and because of that I had to do a fresh install.

TM sees the tablet and has properly enabled the digitiser (the tablet ID code is correctly identified) but it won't get any info from the tablet and thus doesn't work. I've tried most of the tips and tricks listed in the forum but it still won't work. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I know from when it was working before that the tablet is on serial0 but TM only detects Bluetooth-PDA-Sync and Bluetooth-Modem.

EDIT 2: In what would appear to be my computer playing mind games with me it started working. Unfortunately after a restart it stopped working. And as for the mind games: TM detects serial0 but doesn't see a tablet connected to it.

EDIT 3: it's working again. My computer is trying to make be go insane. Also, TM seems to have knocked out my Bluetooth, I'm guessing that it has something to do with competing serial ports.

Sam_Bass

Sam_Bass

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks this helped me to get it working on my Motion Computing Tablet LE1700. It took a bit of reading but got it running great.

Sam

This is a dedicated topic for TabletMagic, an open source driver for Wacom serial devices that has been adapted to communicate with Tablet PC ISD-V4 digitizers.

So to start things off, welcome! Here's where the project stands as of today, June 2, 2009:

• The official project page is http://sourceforge.n...ts/tabletmagic/
  • The current release version is TabletMagic 2.0b17d1
  • Builds b14 - b15 consider all non-Apple Machine Type strings to be hackintosh systems
  • Build b16 and later consider any system with a digitizer in the I/O Registry to be a TabletPC
  • The driver has been tested on several TabletPC systems and now works with most.
Getting Mac OS X To See Your Digitizer
Before Mac OS X will recognize your TabletPC's digitizer hardware your digitizer's ID string must be inserted in the proper kernel extension file. TabletMagic now includes an Enable Digitizer button to automate this process. Give it a try!

Lenovo ThinkPad X61t
If you have a Lenovo ThinkPad X61t you will also need an enabler to actually turn on the digitizer hardware. All the information you need is in its own dedicated topic. (and here's the relevant post!)

Still Nothing? Try "Don't Query"
Many - indeed most - TabletPC digitizers seem to ignore the "*" (TabletID) command, which asks the tablet to identify itself. If TabletMagic finds no tablet, or claims to see an ISD-V4 tablet, but the tablet doesn't function there are two things to check. First, under the TabletPC tab make sure the Don't Query checkbox is selected. Second, make sure the actual serial port is selected instead of "Automatic." (When Don't Query is enabled the "Automatic" setting only checks the first serial port, which is sometimes not what you want.)

Diagnostic Messages
For basic troubleshooting you can open the Console application before starting TabletMagic. There you will be able to observe its diagnostic output, including your Machine Type string. Press Console's "Clear" button between attempts for the cleanest output.

Killing TabletMagic
You can kill the driver most easily using the "Kill Daemon" button in the "Extras" tab of the TabletMagic Preference Pane. If you have any other tablet driver installed on your system, remove it and reboot before trying to start TabletMagic.

TabletPC tab
Under the TabletPC tab of the TabletMagic preference pane you'll find the aforementioned Enable Digitizer and Don't Query options, plus a pair of edit boxes where you can modify the digitizer range values. If the pointer doesn't correctly follow the stylus or seems to drift near the edges of the screen you should modify these values. With the Get From Stylus checkbox enabled you can obtain the digitizer range by moving the pen all the way to the bottom right corner of the screen.

Source Code
To get the latest source code, just issue the following commands in Terminal:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@tabletmagic.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tabletmagic login
Password: [Enter]
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@tabletmagic.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tabletmagic co -P combined
For More Help
If you've read this thread thoroughly and all your posts for help have led to a dead end, contact me at my TabletMagic for TabletPC email address. If your digitizer is unsupported I may be able to provide you with a logging daemon and directly work with you to figure out its protocols.

Thank you to all those who have helped out so far. You've been supremely helpful and patient with this sometimes tedious process.

Namaste! - Scott

My 10.5.2 that I use on my Motion Computing LE1700 I have on an external USB HDD. I plugged it into a J3400 just to see what would happen. I had to calibrate the digitizer due to the wider screen but it worked perfect.

Was putting SL on the J3400 very hard?

Sam

I've got a fresh install of Snow Leopard running on a Motion Computing J3400 and as with everyone here I'm having some issues getting TabletMagic to work. I have it working on Leopard until I accidentally corrupted the system and because of that I had to do a fresh install.

TM sees the tablet and has properly enabled the digitiser (the tablet ID code is correctly identified) but it won't get any info from the tablet and thus doesn't work. I've tried most of the tips and tricks listed in the forum but it still won't work. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I know from when it was working before that the tablet is on serial0 but TM only detects Bluetooth-PDA-Sync and Bluetooth-Modem.

EDIT 2: In what would appear to be my computer playing mind games with me it started working. Unfortunately after a restart it stopped working. And as for the mind games: TM detects serial0 but doesn't see a tablet connected to it.

EDIT 3: it's working again. My computer is trying to make be go insane. Also, TM seems to have knocked out my Bluetooth, I'm guessing that it has something to do with competing serial ports.

Emory Dunn

Emory Dunn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

My 10.5.2 that I use on my Motion Computing LE1700 I have on an external USB HDD. I plugged it into a J3400 just to see what would happen. I had to calibrate the digitizer due to the wider screen but it worked perfect.

Sam

I had no real issues putting Snow Leopard on the J3400. Obviously because there are no drivers for the graphics card it isn't perfect, but that's not a SL issue. I restored the SL instal disk to a USB drive and installed Chameleon onto it for the bootloader. The install was easy, all I had to do was install Chameleon onto the hard drive and it worked perfectly.

Emory Dunn

Emory Dunn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I successfully killed my J3400 again which forced me to re-install Snow Leopard (which is now as easy as breathing). Unfortunately I'm not having any luck getting TM to see serial0, which is the serial port the digitiser is connected to. I know from past experience that TM will work perfectly on this computer but the trick is always to get serial0 to actually show up.

So, my question this time is: does anyone know of a way to get serial0 to show up consistently? I think at some point I got it to show up after doing something with the network settings, but it may have been a fluke.

I've been rereading this forum in hopes of finding a solution and so far I haven't found one. BUT I have been doing a lot of playing in Terminal and found that the J3400 is missing a rather sizeable chunk of info from ioreg -l

Here is the output (the part the matters) from a working Motion C5:
[codebox]+-o WACM <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| | | {
| | | "_UID" = "0"
| | | "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
| | | "name" = <"WACF004">
| | | "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=568,"length"=8}))
| | | "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0300000000000000>)
| | | "_STA" = 15
| | | }
| | |
| | +-o Apple16X50ACPI0 <class com_apple_driver_16X50ACPI, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
| | | {
| | | "IOProbeScore" = 0
| | | "IOProviderClass" = "IOACPIPlatformDevice"
| | | "IOKitDebug" = 0
| | | "Location" = "ACPI Device=WACM"
| | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI"
| | | "IOTTYBaseName" = "serial"
| | | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"
| | | "IONameMatched" = "WACF004"
| | | "IOClass" = "com_apple_driver_16X50ACPI"
| | | "IONameMatch" = "WACF004"
| | | }
| | |
| | +-o Apple16X50UARTSync0 <class com_apple_driver_16X50UARTSync, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain$
| | | {
| | | "IOTTYBaseName" = "serial"
| | | "Product Name" = "Built-in Serial Port (0)"
| | | "Location" = "ACPI Device=WACM Base=0x238"
| | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI"
| | | "IOPowerManagement" = {"CurrentPowerState"=1}
| | | "UART Type" = "16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200"
| | | "IOTTYSuffix" = "0"
| | | }
| | |
| | +-o IOSerialBSDClient <class IOSerialBSDClient, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
| | {
| | "IOProbeScore" = 1000
| | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily"
| | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"
| | "IOCalloutDevice" = "/dev/cu.serial0"
| | "IOResourceMatch" = "IOBSD"
| | "IOProviderClass" = "IOSerialStreamSync"
| | "IOSerialBSDClientType" = "IORS232SerialStream"
| | "IOTTYBaseName" = "serial"
| | "Product Name" = "Built-in Serial Port (0)"
| | "IOTTYDevice" = "serial0"
| | "IOClass" = "IOSerialBSDClient"
| | "IODialinDevice" = "/dev/tty.serial0"
| | "IOTTYSuffix" = "0"
| | }
[/codebox]

And here is the very tiny output from the J3400:
[codebox]+-o WACM <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, id 0x100000147, registered, matche$
| | {
| | "acpi-dstate-mask" = 9
| | "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=1016,"length"=8}))
| | "acpi-dstate" = 0
| | "_UID" = "0"
| | "IOPowerManagement" = {"CurrentPowerState"=2}
| | "_STA" = 15
| | "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
| | "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0400000000000000>)
| | "name" = <"WACF00B">
| | }
[/codebox]

As you can see the J3400 is missing the very extensive bit about serial0. I'm not sure if that is any help but the more info the better, right? So, is there any way to add all the missing info into a file on the J3400? I looked but I couldn't find a corresponding file.

pegasys

pegasys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
In case anyone missed it...

The second beta of Axiotron Quickscript, released in December now works on serial tablets - or at least it's working on my Fujitsu T2010

Thanks to Axiotron and thanks again to Scott...

@Emory Dunn
I had a tablet a while ago where (unusually) the serial port didn't show up in the drop down box of available serial ports on the TM prefpane - opening Disk Utility, selecting 'Repair Disk Permissions' and then rebooting with the -f option at the Darwin bootloader fixed it for me.

For all tablets, I've found that although TM does a good job of modifying the serial kext with the wacom digitiser ID ( it's FUJ02E5 on the T2010), I always have to reinstall the modified serial kext with osx86 tools, as on rebooting I get a 'kext improperly installed' message. I'm guessing this is because I use a blank password - kext helper doesn't work either without a user account password, osx86 tools does. (btw, I'm still using leopard - not sure what might have changed for SL).

moonislune

moonislune

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

In case anyone missed it...

The second beta of Axiotron Quickscript, released in December now works on serial tablets - or at least it's working on my Fujitsu T2010

Thanks to Axiotron and thanks again to Scott...

@Emory Dunn
I had a tablet a while ago where (unusually) the serial port didn't show up in the drop down box of available serial ports on the TM prefpane - opening Disk Utility, selecting 'Repair Disk Permissions' and then rebooting with the -f option at the Darwin bootloader fixed it for me.

For all tablets, I've found that although TM does a good job of modifying the serial kext with the wacom digitiser ID ( it's FUJ02E5 on the T2010), I always have to reinstall the modified serial kext with osx86 tools, as on rebooting I get a 'kext improperly installed' message. I'm guessing this is because I use a blank password - kext helper doesn't work either without a user account password, osx86 tools does. (btw, I'm still using leopard - not sure what might have changed for SL).

Thanks for posting the news! It now works great on my Toshiba m400 serial (non-USB) tablet in Snow Leopard! Its so nice to have working handwriting recognition!

strikerdlm

strikerdlm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks this helped me to get it working on my Motion Computing Tablet LE1700. It took a bit of reading but got it running great.

Sam

Sam

Hey Sam, can you please describe How, step by step you got LE1700 running 10.5.2 with tablet magic! mine says no tablet found and I've tried everything on this post, I doesn't recognize it;.. Thank you!

Hey Sam, can you please describe How, step by step you got LE1700 running 10.5.2 with tablet magic! mine says no tablet found and I've tried everything on this post, I doesn't recognize it;.. Thank you!

SOLVED, I did the trick copying apple16x50serial.kext to the desktop,rebooted and then i used kext helper b7 for easy install of kext files, rebooted and it worked. Thank you!

unlistedj

unlistedj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hey I keep getting this weird glitch where randomly the values for the digitizer will change to values much smaller than they should be, which then readjusts the mapping.

Anyone else seen this or have any idea of a fix for this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy