VMWare Fusion... wow!

28 posts in this topic

Have you tried VMWare Fusion?

I installed Parallels and it was waaaaaaaay too slow for my machine (specs below) so I ended up installing Win 98 in it, since I only need Windows to test sites in IE 6.

But today I gave VMWare Fusion a try (I love it in Windows) and it worked like a charm. I have Win XP SP2 working perfectly in a VM with only 64MB RAM! Of course I disabled services and turned off all eye candy, but I'm astonished anyway :)

The only drawback is there's no Coherence, but I didn't have that either with win98, and again, I only use IE 6 & 7 to test websites.

So, if you need some VM soft, give VMWare a try... really cool. It's still a beta though.

Good luck

Fede

Not only that.... but I just saw a youtube video of a yet to be released beta build and it had 3D Acceleration IN VIRTUALIZATION --- I dunno what kind of machine it was running on (but its safe to assume it was a Pro Mac (since the monitor sure wasn't the iMac... Now, I'm no super-gamer (by any stretch) but it seemed to run the games really well...

Dave

It's also really cool that you can suspend the vm and next time you launch VMWare, it starts right were you left it in a few seconds. No booting and launching the applications you need. You can probably do this with parallels, though.

EDIT: I suppose you're talking about

Edited by thunder.scripts

Guest bikedude880
Hello? look at my signature :)

Ok... for what reason? All I see are hardware specs. What a pointless post.

@RobNyc: Not yet, but I can tonight.

Guest bikedude880
Errmmm... I started this post saying I had tried it, and in my specs you can see it's not an Apple Mac.

Sorry if it wasn't too clear :S

Lol, it's ok. I've had a long day (and it's only 3PM :) )

Guest bikedude880
That's ok, you made sata for nforce4!! :)

Actually, to clarify on that... I revived the project and kept getting stuck in a hole (as I don't have an nForce4 mobo), MeDevil came along and started working on it. Honestly, I haven't had any involvement in the project for over a month and a half.

FYI for anyone intrested the next build of VMware fusion will have 3D support...you probably already know this by now... altho one thing was cool a buddy of mine that works there said Some DX9.0c games work. Guild Wars is one that mostly works (he mentioned there were bugs.) But it seemed to be cool.

Te about box reads "VMWare Fusion e.x.p (36932)"

I don't know if that's a build number or what.

I downloaded it from the official VMWare site... if i remember correctly.

Edit: Yeah, definetly, I remember filling in this form http://register.vmware.com/content/beta/fu...gistration.html

Edited by thunder.scripts

Well the next build will have 3d support =)

Let's see who wins.. DO you have coherence mode in vmware currently ? or that only exist for parallels

The latest released build does not have it. I think in a couple of weeks a new build will be arriving. That one WILL have 3D support. And a list of games that are known to run in it. There is a feature in the works that is supposed to be like coherence in some ways. Apparently that was pretty easy for VMware people to implement. It is supposed to be better in functionality with lots more extras. I know the details but I wont talk about it. Personally I don't like parallels as a company due to a bad experience I had at MacWorld with them. Their marketing people were {censored}s and spent alot more time trash talking VMware than actually answering questions about their product. So I see no need to help them by giving them details here.

• 2 weeks later...
Any hackintosh users tried VMware Fusion lately ????

Yes I tried from the pre-beta, then the beta-1 and now the beta-2 alss worked fine.

It didnt work when I didn't have QE and CI.

I just installed Fusion and before it finished it froze my mac with the "you need to power off" text screen. So i hit reset and now i get the same thing on boot up.. Not impressed. Haven't tried safe mode yet.. but still, WTF.

IAN

Edited by Mr.Sticky

Yeah, that's incredible that in some Hackintoshes is running without probs.

I only have problems testing one of the Open GL screensavers, the pipes one, it stalls and I need to restart th VM but not the App.