x1900xtx 512mb or 7800gtx 256mb

hixatchi

14 posts in this topic

i got my x1900xtx to work under natit but using old version 3.5 and when i get in there is speckles all over the screen and sometime it will lock up when i use genie effects. However at least i can change the resolution, the newer natit with the universal nvidia/ati binary doesn't even let me get into mac osx. Just letting u guys know. Please keep up the good development work!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you look at About This Mac --- System profiler --- Extensions and see what drivers have loaded for your card. ATIRadeonX1000 and ATY_Alopias (1.4.40) are the ones you want showing up there (I'm on Jas 10.4.8 beta 2 and 8.8.1 Kernel), if it's ATY_Wormy there is a strong chance it's the reason for the speckles because that driver was loaded as default with mine and I had experienced similar problems.

oy, i forgot which driver its using but apparently jcool has a new driver that works i'm gonna give that a shot later but i've plugged in my 7800gtx and it works fine out of the box, i will switch back my ati card later and check back on it, i would prefer my x1900xt of coarse :dev:

Mine was CI/QE out of the box including resolution change options, all I did in the beginning was to select ATIX1000 pci-e support from Jas's 10.4.8 DVD during installation but there was mouse tearing and worse problems with the 3D apps. I looked at the extensions loaded and saw ATY_Wormy, changed it by changing ATINDRV--(show package contents) Contens--Plugins--ATY_Wormy(show package contents)--Contents--info.plist where I changed the IOPCIDevice to IONDRVDevice and than changed the info.plist of ATY_Alopias from IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice, it's all explained by Munky in the following thread if my instructions were unclear.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=ATY_Alopias

edit : I booted into some sort of a distorted blue screen when I tried Natit at first, I also got the exact same blue screen when I tried ATY_Caretta drivers before ATY_Alopias. Perhaps natit enabled the wrong driver for me.

Edited by u1m2

on the jas 10.4.8 dvd did u install the ati pci-e support and the titan driver or only the titan driver? thx im using an x1900xtx but it won't boot into osx with either option selected, its funny cuz my 7800gtx works flawlessly using the titan driver with the dvd , but ati won't work out of the box! and its supposed to be supported maybe i should try an xt?

on the jas 10.4.8 dvd did u install the ati pci-e support and the titan driver or only the titan driver? thx im using an x1900xtx but it won't boot into osx with either option selected, its funny cuz my 7800gtx works flawlessly using the titan driver with the dvd , but ati won't work out of the box! and its supposed to be supported maybe i should try an xt?

I had CI/QE and Resolution Change out of the box by simply selecting ati X1000 pci-e support. All I did was to make sure ATY_Alopias got loaded instead of ATY_Wormy following Munky's method. (ATY_Wormy had artifacting issues in 3D apps and slight mouse tearing as well) The first time I installed Jas 10.4.8, I did not select ati X1000 support I had QE but no resolution change and lots of artifacting so I tried Natit which gave me a blue screen with a thick distorted black line going across it horizontally. No GUI whatsoever. Interesting enough, the same kind of screen showed up when I was testing the other drivers and I enabled ATY_Caretta (maybe it was sphyrna, I have a weak memory)

On your question : 512MB XT's XTX's and Crossfire Edition's all share the same device ID (7249) AFAIK. I had doubts about my crossfire card as well but it works like a charm.

can you send me a link or instructions on how to load aty alopias for munkys method?

i had the exact same problems with using the x1000 support with it loaded it wouldn't boot and i had a black screen, with no x1000 support installed or titan i could boot into osx but i could not change resolutions, and when i installed natit i had a black screen or a half blue, half black jarbled screen.... so xt or xtx is the same eh okay i will give it a try.... thx!

Edited by hixatchi

What you do if you have installed with ATI X1000 pci-e support

First of All Check from About This Mac - More Info (System Profiler) - Extensions : which extension starting with ATY_ is loaded (My guess is wormy)

1- In case it says ATY_Wormy

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Wormy.kext/Contents/

sudo emacs info.plist (will ask for your admin password)

change where it says IOPCIDevice to IONDRVDevice

ctrl+x then ctrl+c

press y when asked to save

2- now we need to edit ATY_Alopias

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Alopias.kext/Contents/

sudo emacs info.plist (will ask for your admin password)

change where it says IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice

ctrl+x then ctrl+c

press y when asked to save

Reboot

Check from About This Mac - More Info (System Profiler) - Extensions if ATY_Alopias is loaded, hope all goes well.

edit

ATY_Alopias should look like this

<key>FirstPersonality</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.kext.ATY_Alopias</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>ATY_Alopias</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<string>display</string>