Can't Install macOS 10.13.2 Update

Haravikk

3 posts in this topic

The title pretty much says it all; I finally got around to updating to macOS High Sierra yesterday, only to discover that the USB installer I created for it had only installed up to 10.13.1 (I must have created it longer ago than I thought).

No problem, I thought, I'll just install the update from the Mac App Store. However I'm having no luck at all on that front; the update downloads, and when I accept a restart/shutdown I get the black screen with an "Installing update" message.

After I restart I have a bunch of new entries in Clover for Filevault Preboot, Install Preboot and Install, on top of my usual options to boot Mac OS or Recovery. I've now tried selecting every option (each following a rerun of the update) but none of them seems to work, at the end of each cycle I still have a system running 10.13.1.

The two install options (Install Preboot and Install) both end up going to what looks like a macOS installer, but complaining that a package is missing from /System/Installation/blah/blah/blah, and I assume I'm not supposed to boot into these.

I'm running the latest version of clover, with apfs.efi added, and have my main system volume updated to APFS. Everything else works fine (except Bluetooth but I've had difficulty with that before), and the system is perfectly usable under 10.13.1, I'd just really like to upgrade so that I can get all the latest updates, fixes etc.

I've also tried using the 10.13.2 combo updater, but this seems to give the same result.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with my updates? Which volume should I be booting up from when updating, or should I even have these extra volumes at all?

Also, separate question but I don't want to create another topic but, what is the current state of APFS encryption support for the boot volume? I know that Core Storage based Filevault decryption during startup wasn't supported for a while, just curious whether APFS is in the same state, or if I'm okay now to enable it?

The title pretty much says it all; I finally got around to updating to macOS High Sierra yesterday, only to discover that the USB installer I created for it had only installed up to 10.13.1 (I must have created it longer ago than I thought).

No problem, I thought, I'll just install the update from the Mac App Store. However I'm having no luck at all on that front; the update downloads, and when I accept a restart/shutdown I get the black screen with an "Installing update" message.

After I restart I have a bunch of new entries in Clover for Filevault Preboot, Install Preboot and Install, on top of my usual options to boot Mac OS or Recovery. I've now tried selecting every option (each following a rerun of the update) but none of them seems to work, at the end of each cycle I still have a system running 10.13.1.

The two install options (Install Preboot and Install) both end up going to what looks like a macOS installer, but complaining that a package is missing from /System/Installation/blah/blah/blah, and I assume I'm not supposed to boot into these.

I'm running the latest version of clover, with apfs.efi added, and have my main system volume updated to APFS. Everything else works fine (except Bluetooth but I've had difficulty with that before), and the system is perfectly usable under 10.13.1, I'd just really like to upgrade so that I can get all the latest updates, fixes etc.

I've also tried using the 10.13.2 combo updater, but this seems to give the same result.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with my updates? Which volume should I be booting up from when updating, or should I even have these extra volumes at all?

When you install an update upon rebooting you should get a new entry in clover " boot macOS installer from......" that's the one you need to boot from to continue the update process.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Okay, so I figured out the problem; somehow I got stuck with some leftover install related folders. I trashed two folders, so I'm not sure which was actually the culprit:

The first was under the root volume named 'macOS Install Data', the second was under the Preboot volume (need to mount it first), inside that is a folder named for your machine UUID (I think) and inside is a com.apple.installer folder which I also trashed.

Removing both of these allowed the system to install the update correctly from the "boot macOS Installer from… " option like you say. Unfortunately the update has raised some other headaches of its own, but hopefully I can get those sorted soon.