4k w/ intel 4600.. mysterious black screen of mystery

foilage11

6 posts in this topic

hello friends!

I've been having an issue I hope you can assist me with me ;) I added a 4k display recently, and in order to enable 4k output I added "CoreDisplayFixup" and a "KextsToPatch". 4k @ 60hz works but the issue is after booting I get a black screen.

-If I turn the monitor off and then right back on again the picture will return.

-If I walk away after about five minutes the screen will come on. 

If I follow the instructions here: 

https://github.com/PMheart/CoreDisplayFixup 

"Addtionally you may have a corrupted shared cache, to fix it up, disable CoreDisplayFixup and reboot, then run sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force command in Terminal."

After entering the terminal command and rebooting the problem is 100% solved. However, if I reboot again the black screen issue completely returns.

friends, please advise ;) ;) ;)

My PC:

Intel i5 "Haswell"
Asus Z87 board
Intel 4600 built in (no discrete video card)
Clover UEFI
FileVault2 FDE
latest MacOS, latest Clover
CSM disabled
iGPU prealloc in BIOS set to 64mb

Clover config:

<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>Patches</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>change GFX0 to IGPU</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					R0ZYMA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					SUdQVQ==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					RUhDMQ==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					RUgwMQ==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					RUhDMg==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					RUgwMg==
					</data>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>3</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
	</dict>
	<key>BootGraphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DefaultBackgroundColor</key>
		<string>0x80000000</string>
		<key>EFILoginHiDPI</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>UIScale</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>flagstate</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>1</string>
		</dict>
		<key>FakeID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>IntelGFX</key>
			<string>0x04128086</string>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Language</key>
		<string>en:0</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Linux</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>black_green</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>ig-platform-id</key>
		<string>0x0d220003</string>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleIntelCPUPM</key>
		<false/>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Increase buffer for 4K (64 MB RAM / 48 MB Framebuffer)</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x0</string>
		(omitted)
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		(omitted.. iMac 14,1)
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other:

AppleALC
AppleIntelE1000e
CoreDisplayFixup
FakeSMC
IntelGraphicsFixup
Lilu
Shiki
USB_Injector

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I have similar issue with very similar setup:

GA-Z87X-UD3H , i5 4670 , HD 4600 , Dell P2415Q (DP) (old Eizo S1910 (DVI) as a backup) with High Sierra 10.13.0

I mean when I boot, I have a black screen, monitor is in powersave mode and the login page does not show at all. I can login blindly, then use the key shortcut to sleep the computer and wake and then the screen lights up. But the display wakes up from the sleep only when the sleep is short. If the sleep is long, it will not wake up. Then I put the computer to sleep again and immediately wake up and the display lights up. Or I have to re-plug the cable.

No luck with solving so far?

hello friends!

I've been having an issue I hope you can assist me with me ;) I added a 4k display recently, and in order to enable 4k output I added "CoreDisplayFixup" and a "KextsToPatch". 4k @ 60hz works but the issue is after booting I get a black screen.

-If I turn the monitor off and then right back on again the picture will return.

-If I walk away after about five minutes the screen will come on.

If I follow the instructions here:

https://github.com/PMheart/CoreDisplayFixup

"Addtionally you may have a corrupted shared cache, to fix it up, disable CoreDisplayFixup and reboot, then run sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force command in Terminal."

After entering the terminal command and rebooting the problem is 100% solved. However, if I reboot again the black screen issue completely returns.

friends, please advise ;) ;) ;)

My PC:

Intel i5 "Haswell"Asus Z87 boardIntel 4600 built in (no discrete video card)Clover UEFIFileVault2 FDElatest MacOS, latest CloverCSM disablediGPU prealloc in BIOS set to 64mb
Clover config:
<dict>	<key>ACPI</key>	<dict>		<key>DSDT</key>		<dict>			<key>Name</key>			<string>DSDT.aml</string>			<key>Patches</key>			<array>				<dict>					<key>Comment</key>					<string>change GFX0 to IGPU</string>					<key>Disabled</key>					<false/>					<key>Find</key>					<data>					R0ZYMA==					</data>					<key>Replace</key>					<data>					SUdQVQ==					</data>				</dict>				<dict>					<key>Comment</key>					<string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>					<key>Disabled</key>					<false/>					<key>Find</key>					<data>					RUhDMQ==					</data>					<key>Replace</key>					<data>					RUgwMQ==					</data>				</dict>				<dict>					<key>Comment</key>					<string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>					<key>Disabled</key>					<false/>					<key>Find</key>					<data>					RUhDMg==					</data>					<key>Replace</key>					<data>					RUgwMg==					</data>				</dict>			</array>		</dict>		<key>DropTables</key>		<array>			<dict>				<key>Signature</key>				<string>SSDT</string>				<key>TableId</key>				<string>CpuPm</string>			</dict>			<dict>				<key>Signature</key>				<string>SSDT</string>				<key>TableId</key>				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>			</dict>		</array>		<key>SSDT</key>		<dict>			<key>Generate</key>			<dict>				<key>CStates</key>				<true/>				<key>PStates</key>				<true/>			</dict>		</dict>	</dict>	<key>Boot</key>	<dict>		<key>Legacy</key>		<string>PBR</string>		<key>Timeout</key>		<integer>3</integer>		<key>XMPDetection</key>		<string>Yes</string>	</dict>	<key>BootGraphics</key>	<dict>		<key>DefaultBackgroundColor</key>		<string>0x80000000</string>		<key>EFILoginHiDPI</key>		<integer>0</integer>		<key>UIScale</key>		<integer>0</integer>		<key>flagstate</key>		<integer>0</integer>	</dict>	<key>Devices</key>	<dict>		<key>Audio</key>		<dict>			<key>Inject</key>			<string>1</string>		</dict>		<key>FakeID</key>		<dict>			<key>IntelGFX</key>			<string>0x04128086</string>		</dict>		<key>USB</key>		<dict>			<key>FixOwnership</key>			<false/>		</dict>	</dict>	<key>GUI</key>	<dict>		<key>Language</key>		<string>en:0</string>		<key>Mouse</key>		<dict>			<key>DoubleClick</key>			<integer>500</integer>			<key>Mirror</key>			<false/>			<key>Speed</key>			<integer>8</integer>		</dict>		<key>Scan</key>		<dict>			<key>Entries</key>			<true/>			<key>Legacy</key>			<false/>			<key>Linux</key>			<false/>			<key>Tool</key>			<true/>		</dict>		<key>Theme</key>		<string>black_green</string>	</dict>	<key>Graphics</key>	<dict>		<key>Inject</key>		<dict>			<key>Intel</key>			<true/>		</dict>		<key>ig-platform-id</key>		<string>0x0d220003</string>	</dict>	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>	<dict>		<key>AppleIntelCPUPM</key>		<false/>		<key>AppleRTC</key>		<false/>		<key>KernelCpu</key>		<false/>		<key>KernelPm</key>		<false/>		<key>KextsToPatch</key>		<array>			<dict>				<key>Comment</key>				<string>Increase buffer for 4K (64 MB RAM / 48 MB Framebuffer)</string>				<key>Disabled</key>				<false/>				<key>Find</key>				<data>				AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==				</data>				<key>Name</key>				<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>				<key>Replace</key>				<data>				AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==				</data>			</dict>		</array>	</dict>	<key>RtVariables</key>	<dict>		<key>BooterConfig</key>		<string>0x28</string>		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>		<string>0x0</string>		(omitted)	</dict>	<key>SMBIOS</key>	<dict>		(omitted.. iMac 14,1)	</dict>	<key>SystemParameters</key>	<dict>		<key>InjectKexts</key>		<string>Yes</string>		<key>InjectSystemID</key>		<true/>	</dict></dict></plist>
Kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other:
AppleALCAppleIntelE1000eCoreDisplayFixupFakeSMCIntelGraphicsFixupLiluShikiUSB_Injector

Hi,

I have a very similar configuration to your system with similar issues with the display you are having with a difference that yet I am unable to enable 4K on my computer. Just like you I added a 4K display and followed this instruction here. Unlike you I couldn't even enable the 4K on my Intel HD4600 and yet I couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, in the meanwhile, while as I was try to enable 4K, I've decided to do a fresh install on an additional HDD to do my testing there rather than playing up with my current configuration and what I've discovered was that because the 4K display was connect to my computer through out the whole installation, for whatever reason all those issues with display playing up have disappeared, so you might wanna consider a fresh install while you have your 4K display connect to your computer. Ideally try this on a different HDD so you don't have to lose your current OS.

One more thing is that if you have applied the patch and your 4K is enabled you don't need to have CoreDisplayFixup / IntelGraphicsFixup and Lilu in your Clover kext folder anymore, it's one way or another.

Now going back to my issue, I'm thinking that I have not disabled SIP in recovery mode properly and that's why the patch is not working!

Question,! How did you boot your system into the Recovery mode? by pressing command + R key or by selecting Recovery mode on the Clover boot loader page?

Would you be able to attache your Clover Config "file" so I can compare it with mine please?

Thanks

I removed GFX0 to IGPU from clover and now the computer boots with login page shown on the 4k monitor. I have the old monitor connected but turned off. It still appears in the displays but I put it in the upper right corner so the mouse does not wander there. i dont know what would happen if I unplugged it but I am not testing it :)

The mouse cursor is glitching after the reboor but sleep-wake cycle fixes it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2018 at 5:35 AM, massyh said:

Hi,

I have a very similar configuration to your system with similar issues with the display you are having with a difference that yet I am unable to enable 4K on my computer. Just like you I added a 4K display and followed this instruction here. Unlike you I couldn't even enable the 4K on my Intel HD4600 and yet I couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, in the meanwhile, while as I was try to enable 4K, I've decided to do a fresh install on an additional HDD to do my testing there rather than playing up with my current configuration and what I've discovered was that because the 4K display was connect to my computer through out the whole installation, for whatever reason all those issues with display playing up have disappeared, so you might wanna consider a fresh install while you have your 4K display connect to your computer. Ideally try this on a different HDD so you don't have to lose your current OS.

One more thing is that if you have applied the patch and your 4K is enabled you don't need to have CoreDisplayFixup / IntelGraphicsFixup and Lilu in your Clover kext folder anymore, it's one way or another.

Now going back to my issue, I'm thinking that I have not disabled SIP in recovery mode properly and that's why the patch is not working!

Question,! How did you boot your system into the Recovery mode? by pressing command + R key or by selecting Recovery mode on the Clover boot loader page?

Would you be able to attache your Clover Config "file" so I can compare it with mine please?

Thanks

I've never applied the patch, just used the Lilu plugins. I selected recovery from the Clover menu. Clover config is quoted in OP! :)

In other news...

Hoorah!!!

Apple(?) appears to have solved this issue in 10.13.4. It's been completely solved(at least for me).

Edited by foilage11

• 3 months later...