New JAS 10.4.8 and Dell E1505/6400 - Intallataion Help

dmk

57 posts in this topic

SurferSD; post your System Profiler > Hardware Overview and Activity Monitor > CPU screens please. CPU showing as "Core Duo" in About This Mac isn't really a proof of running dual core.

I will do so tomorrow if I can. I am currently in my Vista Partition because I have to put together a presentation for work... that and I have several torrents downloading... :compress:

Hi everyone!

I think Dell and Apple do somthing in the future, thatbecause the one core lock in every dell notebooks...

"Dell announced they are developing PCs which will boot in Windows and Mac OSX. These should be available in 2007."

So maybe i have a mac in the future for free(maybe it comes with the leopard, and maybe apple sales osx without hardware in the future...

Let me add to the chorus of those still only getting 1 core to work on my Core Duo E1505.

Your install experience is similar to mine, SurferSD - What interests me is that you added your 1390 wireless card in AFTER you installed 10.4.8. I'm guessing if I put my Intel wireless back in, then shut down and swap out the card, it'll work again, too. Maybe OSX needs to do some sort of re-detection after it's installed. In other words, don't have your 1390 in when you install. Kind of a pain but I may try it.

I've installed the IONEtworking.kext from 10.4.6 as suggested elsewhere and I still have no network even after a cold reboot. All I did was replace the kext, rebuild the kextcache, fix permissions and reboot. Did I forget anything?

Also, my About This Mac also reports Core Duo even though I am only running with cpus=1.

Hey SurferSD - Are you using any kernel boot flags at all right now? Maybe we are missing something obvious.

I may try reformatting and installing your way, taking out the 1390 until install is done...Or I may just also use the upgrade method from an earlier version -- It'd certainly be easier to install from a DVD that has good video anyway, the external monitor thing is a pain (my graphics are stretched and awful on the external even after the alt-F8 trick).

Sam, what's your Kernel Flags area look like to get all that working?

You have wireless networking as well, right?

Did you install 10.4.8 on a bare drive or as an upgrade?

I'm about the same system as you except for the GM950 video in mine.

All new settings or hardware needs to be redetected and you should reboot twice to fully set it in the system.

I would like to encourage all users with only cpus=1 to send a bugreport to semthex and DaemonES

so we can fix this problem :2cents:

Sam, what's your Kernel Flags area look like to get all that working?

You have wireless networking as well, right?

Did you install 10.4.8 on a bare drive or as an upgrade?

I'm about the same system as you except for the GM950 video in mine.

cpus=1 fsb=166 fn=3

no wireless, but my on-board lan works with the kext swap

i have 2 partitions, xp being the other os and i am using acronis os selector

JaS dvd re-seed

Thanks Sam, which wireless card ya got?

Also, could I have missed something simple in the kext swap? If you have time and can post an idiot-proof step by step, that may help me and others. Even if I can wire it up I'd be happy for now.

Much thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I have my Core2Duo (Dell Inspiron 9400) running with both cores. Im using OSX 10.4.7_JAS.

In the "Activity Monitor" CPU section, I have "CPU Usage" displaying 2 black windows. But no sound :blink:

Can somebody help to makeme obtain sound in my system? Soundcard is Sigmatel.

Hi everyone!

I think Dell and Apple do somthing in the future, thatbecause the one core lock in every dell notebooks...

"Dell announced they are developing PCs which will boot in Windows and Mac OSX. These should be available in 2007."

So maybe i have a mac in the future for free(maybe it comes with the leopard, and maybe apple sales osx without hardware in the future...

OMG that site was just an april fools joke!! son of a {censored}.. pardon me...