Patching Framebuffer?

Katte2000

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

a short question I could not get an answer for by reading several forums.

My graphics board is MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G which works in general fine on Sierra (some freezes in Safari and typical black boot screen until login screen).

Does patching the framebuffer have any effect of the black boot screen issue?

Or does patching only allow multi-monitor support and/or improve stability?

I am interested in patching but don't known if it is worth all the work.

Thanks!

Katte

Hi everyone,

a short question I could not get an answer for by reading several forums.

My graphics board is MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G which works in general fine on Sierra (some freezes in Safari and typical black boot screen until login screen).

Does patching the framebuffer have any effect of the black boot screen issue?

Or does patching only allow multi-monitor support and/or improve stability?

I am interested in patching but don't known if it is worth all the work.

Thanks!

Katte

Hi there and welcome to InasnelyMac.com :)

First of all it would be helpful for others to help you if you can update your signature with the hardware specs that you are using.

Patching the framebuffer has some benefits for getting all the ports to work. It will not solve the "boot to black screen" issue but there's been some new developments regarding the black screen issue and no need for the use of a helper card e.g iGPU anymore.

Please know that so far I know one other user that have successfully installed macOS Sierra on his rig without the Black Screen issue but no one else has confirmed it yet.

I think it's still in the test stage but I have a working Sapphire 7790 GPU which had the same issue (booting to black screen) and now I have macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (Clean install) working without any issues. Sleep and HDMI Audio works now.

You need the latest Lilu.kext v1.1.6 and WhateverGreen.kext v.1.0.0 to be placed in the /EFI/Clover/kext/10.12 so if your GPU is in the list you won't be having the black screen issue anymore.

You'll need to have a SSDT-HDMI-AMD-PEGP@1.aml (This is the file I have your's might be named differnetly) in your /EFI/Clover/kext/ACPI/patched which can be generated with Toleda's Clover HDMI Audio command (At least it works in my case).

As far as I know your GPU R9 290 doesn't have the native support of macOS so you'll still might need to use the FakeDeviceID to take care of it.

I haven't tested the multi display setup yet.

Please make sure you have a backup of your data before making any changes, for more info see here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312582-amd-polaris-ids-on-sierra-high-sierra/?p=2470423