Dell e7350 Ultrabook freezing before installer

Destroya01

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking to install OSX Sierra 10.12 on my dell e7350.

It has a core m 5y71 processor, HD 5300 graphics.

Upon booting into my OSX installation USB (Clover UEFI) the kernel seems to boot up fine in verbose all the way to the end. Right before it gets to the installation screen, it freezes at the apple logo with the mouse cursor seen in the top left corner.

I'm fairly certain it is a graphics issue but would not mind a second opinion.

There is a similar post over at another forum talking about how dvmt of 128mb causing these exact same symptoms and resolved it by changing dvmt prealloc to 96mb. I have tried to change DVMT prealloc from 128mb to 96mb on the dell machine by following the guide however the expected results do not show up in Windows. (dedicated graphics memory still shows as 128mb no matter what I change the DVMT prealloc variable to.)

With 128MB OSX boots but I get a black screen with only the mouse pointer hence why I had to revert to 96MB.

Would appreciate some advice on these matters.

@bronxteck

Did what you suggested. Oddly enough lilu reports "lilu applied only 0u patches out of 1u." So seems like it is not applying the patch. Since the patch is new (1.1.4 of the patch was posted 9 days ago) I suspect it may be broken. Is it possible to contact the author?

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem: http://forum.osxlati...-latitude-7350/

@Hervé

That was the exact procedure I followed. In case you want to go over what I did I included that below. I wonder why there are two dvmt prealloc variables to set w/ this bios. <- this may be the reason why it's not working.

The variables I changed through the UEFI shell were:

setup_var 0x164 0x3
setup_var 0x165 0x3

After in Windows dedicated video memory still showed up as 128mb, so I reverted the changes to the default:

setup_var 0x164 0x1
setup_var 0x165 0x1 

Just for reference I attached the extracted setup IFR from the dell 7350 bios.

setup IFR.txt

I have tried safeboot (-x flag) and it still freezes. Attached is my CLOVER directory. Also I haven't touched the clover config.plist. I'm not sure about the iGPU layout-id. Isn't that part of post-installation tasks? I'm just trying to get the installer to boot up.

CLOVER.zip

I also would like to mention I have a dell venue 7140 with similar specs (5y10 processor with hd 5300 graphics) that can boot into the installer. It seems there is some issue with the dell e7350 booting into osx installer. Is there a way I can log debug information so that we can take a deeper look at where exactly its freezing?

post-983100-0-66247000-1496099354_thumb.jpg

Doing that I get to the DSMOS arrived, prevent idle sleep list: IODisplayWrangeler+ (1). Then eventually I see a grey screen in which I can move the mouse, but I don't see the damn installer menus and top menu bar. This is definitely a framebuffer issue. Any other suggestions?

Is there a way to force low resolution in the installer? That way if it is a framebuffer issue it will require less memory and may actually work and I can install and worry about making graphics work later.

Update: I got it to get up the the install screen. I can click on languages to select. The top menu bar is not showing. The languages that are supposed to move on that menu are not moving like they should. Also I cannot move to next step in the installer.

post-983100-0-81332800-1496112652_thumb.jpg