To Hackintosh or not to Hackintosh. General observations of OS X vs Windows

surfinchina

3 posts in this topic

I'm just after general observations here.

Now I've been using OS X full time for a few months on my Hack :)

What do you like, or not, about running Mac OS X on your computer?

OS X makes my hardware go more slowly - CPU and GPU benchmarks are about 10% slower.

But OS X software seems to be a lot more efficient. The software starts up way faster and does it's stuff more quickly.

Win for OS X

OS X is more for nerds. I've had to get used to terminal and use it a lot more than CMD in windows.

This is a lose for os x right now, but I can see it's turning into a win, plus I'll ultimately end up understanding my computer better, so less issues in the end.

I am liking just dragging programs to trash when I don't want them any more.

A lot of my hardware needs workarounds.

eg: I use a corsair keyboard with macro keys - really cool for my CAD and assigning complex commands to a single key, but quite difficult to get it working. My accounting package has to run in parallels, as does my fan controller. Some of these things have no Mac solution I can migrate to over time.

Lose for OS X and it's proprietary hardware thing.

Modern GPUs and other hardware.

I need a helper card just to start my computer because Apple hardware is a few generations behind.

I need a usb dac because I've never solved the onboard sound.

Hey that's why we hackintosh! Now I have a Mac that's faster than any other and does the job better. the sounds as I work are outstanding. I have 3 screens on 2 video cards and my son is quite jealous.

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90

I need to admit that I never really liked macOS. I knew hackintoshing was a possibility and that it would be a difficult process. Well,  that's exactly what got me into it.
I started with a Dell Mini 10v netbook, but that was easy since I was using the netbook installer. After a couple of days I reinstalled Windows and never looked at macOS again.

A couple of years later I was reading about hackintoshing AMD. Which again got me into it, since I always thought that a AMD hackintosh would be impossible. Eventually I had a fully working hackintosh running Mavericks on a AMD FX-8120 dual booting Windows. This time it took lots of research and lots of time to get it working; for example I had to patch the connectors table in the graphics driver to get my graphics to work. Again, I liked the whole process of getting the OS to work, but once it was installed I never really cared for macOS so I got rid of it again.

So in short: I liked the whole progress of getting the OS to work on non-apple hardware, but that was it. 

Now here's the fun part:

Some months ago I was able to buy two old SFF systems (the ones in my signature) for only €50 (around $56).
I started installing Yosemite on the NEC, which worked incredibly well. So I swapped the HDD out for a SSD, upgraded the GPU and modded a Xeon E5450 to fit the 775 socket.
I spent a lot of time to get iMessage et cetera working. Well, you know the drill.
Yosemite got upgraded to El Capitan and El Capitan got upgraded to Sierra.

The Optiplex still had Windows 10 installed on it, but I never actually used it. I used macOS all the time. So I decided to get rid of Windows on the Optiplex too. Resulting in two pretty well functioning hackintoshes.

Eventhough they are both pretty outdated (socket 775, DDR2) they run very smooth and faster with macOS. 

There is not really a thing that I don't like about the OS. Though I'd like to see the ability to change the appearance of Launchpad, but that's about it. 
Other than that I like the GUI because it's pretty clean. 
I use my systems to watch TV, to play some games on Steam, a little photo and video-editing but mostly for web development. 

Amazing huh... for only €50 :D

hi...

imho...

the best system is the one that does the work...that you need...

and you feel comfortable using it...

"what should be the red color  ,if all like the blue color"

c.frio

• Like 3