• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Jac0bas

Jac0bas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I've just installed Sierra in VMWare from a distro and everything seems to be working fine, except for the graphics performance. I have the newest tools installed and I've tried using the beamoff app. That, unfortunately, doesn't work on Sierra, since Apple has started using Metal instead of OpenGL.

Any ideas?

LuXs

LuXs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

What are you having problems with?
what software.

you only have 128mb of virtual graphics memory so there is one problem except for that you shouldnt get any "normal" lag problems with the windows but if you try to run anything 3D intensive of course that wont work at all really.

Jac0bas

Jac0bas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

That's my point. Is there a way to perhaps give it more memory? I'd like to use it with final cut, but really don't want to give up siri...

LuXs

LuXs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

No you can't do that in vmware (workstation) nobody have figured out how to do that.

you can make a hackintosh and maybe get that to work if you have the correct parts in your machine but i know this isn't what you are asking about im just letting you now about that solution.

Jac0bas

Jac0bas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I do have a hackintosh that is working flawlessly. I just wanted to know, whether it's even possible to do it in vmware...

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 737 posts

In the latest VMwareGfx.kext from Fusion 8.5.5 VMware have discontinued the 2D-Acceleration code, and graphics performance is better now.

JJTagy

JJTagy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Good to know, thanks Zenith. Is there anything that needs to be done other than installing new tools? For me it seems like graphics have actually degraded over last 2 or 3 tool releases...

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 737 posts

Just install VMwareGfx.kext from darwin.iso 8.5.5.

I downloaded darwin.iso 8.5.3 posted by MSoK to double check.

The one from 8.5.3 contains the 2D Accelerator code.

In 8.5.5, it's been removed.

There's noticeable shrinkage in the size of VMwareGfx binary (in MacOS subfolder.)  The size of 8.5.3 is 304504.  The size of 8.5.5 is 106992.

Good to know, thanks Zenith. Is there anything that needs to be done other than installing new tools? For me it seems like graphics have actually degraded over last 2 or 3 tool releases...

JJTagy

JJTagy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Ty again Zenith. I extracted the package and used Pacifist to force install the newest kext. I'll post back if I notice a difference.

Zii69

Zii69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Ty again Zenith. I extracted the package and used Pacifist to force install the newest kext. I'll post back if I notice a difference.

How did you go about installing it, not sure what a kext is. Also confused, you are running macOS Sierra on a PC? That is what it sounds like, but Zenith's response is about vmware fusion, that is a virtual machine to be ran on an actual mac. Is he saying that we can run the fusion tools in place of vmware tools?

Update:

I did run the tools from this download, but did not see much if any performance increase. Maybe I'll need to force install like you mentioned, except it did not appear to be any setbacks the normal way.

http://www.insanelym...os-x-darwiniso/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy