Realtek 8139 / FX6200 now working

26 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I'm using a P4P800-X Mainboard with Onboard Network (Realtek 8139)

I installed the new 10.4.8 and it works absolutely stable. Good Work JaS!!

But other than on version 10.4.6 the network doesn't work any more. Are there any recommondations how to make it work?

As well I am using a NVidia 6200. The MacVidia-Driver 1.0.8 worked with the Version 10.4.6 but not with 10.4.8

Thanks in advance

Reed

Hi again,

basicly all problems fixed.

The Network I could fix by copying the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from the 10.4.6 to the 10.4.8.

For my video card I could use the Titan driver. It's just amazing how things work now. Thanks to all developers for their great work.

If there is a patch coming out for multi-monitor support for FX6200 I'll be happiest man alive.

Cheers

Download Pacifist from Charlessoft.

In OSX, insert your installer DVD and let it mount on the Desktop.

In Pacifist, File menu -> Open: DVD -> /System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg

In Essentials, click the arrows as follows: System -> Library -> Extensions

Find the IONetworkingFamily.kext and select it. (The Ethernet kext is included in the IONetworking kext)

In the Pacifist toolbar, select: Install

Delete the files: /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Repair permissions (in Disk Utility) for good measure.

Reboot

However, I dont have the old DVD anymore

This works for any install DVD except the first JaS 10.4.8 install DVD.

If you have the new "reseed" 10.4.8 JaS install DVD, it will work. The install DVD installs the old files first and then when the 10.4.8 Combo update kicks in, they get replaced. Following the instructions above extracts the older kext.

Thnx for the help, and i did manage to get the IONetworkingkext to install, but when i boot in verbose mode - with the older kext! (hotiso 10.4.6) - it "can't allocate/can't define dependencies" and some more errors...

I read http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=realtek

which obviously is my problem...

In that topic they are talking about a SS3.pkg from the JaS 10.4.7 dvd, and that solution seems to work fine... but since i don't own that dvd, maybe someone can pm me the right kext file? :)

In the same topic there is also suggested that changing the device id... but how do i do that?

Another thing is that i can't understand that JaS didn't fix this error, of course i think he did a fantastic job, and i am very thankful for that, but it's unfortunate he didn't catch this error since so much onboard nic's are using a realtek chip...

EDIT:

Now also tried to get IONETWORKING.KEXT from the Goatsce... DVD, again no luck :D

Okay, the solution to this is getting the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from 10.4.6 dvd and putting that in the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Then do in terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

Then delete the extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache in /System/Library and reboot. It should work from then on. It did for me.

Where to get the the file? It's yb4ja3 on tinyurl.

Edit: It did not work with the RTL1xxx_1.02 driver posted on these forums and not with the way rammjet described for me, it did work with the way I described in this post, I hope it can help more people.

Cleaner way of doing this

Okay, a way to do this that is probably cleaner is replacing the kext in the IONetworkingFamily instead of just throwing it in the extensionsfolder. Put the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext on your desktop and open the terminal.

Do the following commands (case sensitive):

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

sudo rm -R ./AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

sudo cp -R /Users/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/Desktop/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext ./

sudo chown -R root:wheel ./AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 ./AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

Then delete the extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache in /System/Library and reboot.

Okay, the solution to this is getting the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from 10.4.6 dvd and putting that in the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Then do in terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

Then delete the extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache in /System/Library and reboot. It should work from then on. It did for me.

Where to get the the file? It's yb4ja3 on tinyurl.

Edit: It did not work with the RTL1xxx_1.02 driver posted on these forums and not with the way rammjet described for me, it did work with the way I described in this post, I hope it can help more people.

Thnx A Lot! This did the trick for me too :)

Now i got my hackintosh fully upgraded to the 8.8.1. kernel :D

What I was wondering, the people who get it working do you have an onboard 8139 chip or an pci network card with 8139 chip? That might be the difference, cause whatever I do It just doesn't work. No matter which kext I use. I've got an onboard NIC chip btw.

What I was wondering, the people who get it working do you have an onboard 8139 chip or an pci network card with 8139 chip? That might be the difference, cause whatever I do It just doesn't work. No matter which kext I use. I've got an onboard NIC chip btw.

I just tried the pacifist method from the JaS re-seed disk and it worked fine for me. I'm using an onboard realtek. Thanks guys!!

• 2 months later...

^_^

Well.....I tried Jan_187's method several times but couldn't get it to work.

Tried re-installing the 10.4.3 version that I knew had network working with the Realtek 8139 .kext. and then re-installing 10.4.8 as an upgrade.

Didn't work at all.

Then got the idea of re-installing 10.4.3, copying the IONetworkingFamily.kext to a data drive, re-installing 10.4.8 as an upgrade, then after re-starting, I copied the IONetworkingFamily.kext to the /System/Library/Extensions folder, fixed permissions and re-started. Voila! I have networking.

A little long winded method of fixing it but WTH, it worked.

Now on to getting my video display to work in more than 1024x768.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I am a big noob and I need heeeeelp,

I've got exactly the same hardware as reed187: Asus P4P800-X, Intel P4 3Ghz HT (HT disable) ,Geforce 6200 AGP, but I have some dificulty to install 10.4.8. I have got Jas 10.4.8 amd intel sse2 sse3 beta2. The instalation work perfectly, but when I reboot the computer I have got a black screen with this symbole " - " and the computer freeze.

By the way it works with 10.4.4 (or 10.4.6 don't know)

Thanks

Update...

I try to reinstall Maxxus 10.4.4 and now it's the same probleme!

The weird thing is my old geforce 4000 PCI that was working fine yesterday doesn't want to work anymore!!!!

Edited by xave

• 5 months later...

Hey, noob here. I installed 10.4.8 but I really don't want to torrent another DVD just for this one file. Would anyone be willing to email me the file or point me to a link where I can download it? My email is weirdlookinguy ((.AT.)) gmail D0TT com.

Would someone please help me out? Thanks a ton,

--weirdlookinguy

• 3 months later...

I answer to this, because i have JaS 10.4.8 and a problem

with the 8139 package.

The problem is it cannot find dependencies i think, infact

in the Info.plist it asks the 1.4.8 version of IONetworking.

Any solution?

P.S.: If you want i post the exact problem (but right now

i have a kernel panic because i changed that 1.4.8

in a 1.5.0 ;) )

This is the error:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loaded version 1.5.0 of module com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily differs from requested version com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily
kextload: unable to register module with kernel
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

And this are versions of files (Info.plist):

<dict>
	 <key>BuildVersion</key>
	 <string>46</string>
	 <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	 <string>1.5.1</string>
	 <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	 <string>1.5.1</string>
	 <key>ProjectName</key>
	 <string>IONetworkingFamily</string>
	 <key>SourceVersion</key>
	 <string>430300</string>