Kernel panic on boot after Yosemite -> Sierra upgrade

modprobe

3 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am brand new to this forum, and though I passed the entry quizzes OK (I'm quite competent in computers in general), I know relatively little about Mac or Hackintosh specifically, so please forgive me if I forget to include important information or otherwise seem clueless. I've been using a hackintosh for several years, but for the most part I've been able to figure everything out myself with relatively little knowledge, thanks to the wonderful resources on forums like this one, and so I haven't had to learn much in-depth about how OSX works or the hacks required to make it run on unblessed hardware.

I successfully upgraded my Yosemite install, which had been working smoothly for quite some time now, to Sierra. Doing so proved difficult, as I kept having boot trouble booting the installer, but I got it working by using OsxAptioFix2Drv in Clover, and massaging the kexts until it worked. The install went smoothly, and then everything went to hell.

** In case of tl;dr, this next paragraph contains the actual problem **

The new Sierra install kernel panics almost immediately (see attachment for photo of the log) and reboots a second later. After rebooting, the keyboard does not work (at all, even to enter the firmware setup or EFI shell) until I turn off the switch on the PSU and let the system fully drain of power, then turn it on again. After doing this, the first attempt to boot either Sierra or Yosemite (I added a new partition and installed Yosemite on it so I'd have a working OSX again) fails, seemingly regardless of kernel arguments, by showing the apple boot logo briefly, then the "do not enter" symbol. Even with verbose mode enabled, there are no logs of this. The second boot will cause Sierra to panic again, or Yosemite to (maybe, it's super finicky) boot normally. If yosemite fails to boot (I haven't figured out yet all the ways this goes wrong) then I get the broken keyboard again. So my system is extremely unreliable now (hardware damage? Linux seems to work fine, so I don't think so...)

Safe mode booting (-x flag) does not work. I get an error about not being able to allocate memory. I haven't tried switching back to OsxAptioFixDrv to see if it works with that one.

Moreover, during some of my flailing to try to get things working even to this level again, I installed Enoch to see if it would work. It didn't, at all, but now clover is not working correctly and the EFI shell does not find my main drive's ESP. So I'm currently booting from clover installed on a flash drive. If I boot a working OS, and check the ESP on the main drive, it seems to be correct (First Aid in Disk Utility gives it a clean bill of health, as do all the fscks I've tried, and cgdisk says the type field is set correctly for an ESP), but the EFI shell does not give it an fs#: mapping, and I don't know of any way to use it other than that. So I haven't figured out how to get clover on my main drive working again.

In my hubris, I failed to take a time machine backup from before the upgrade, so my main OS (now Sierra) is bricked at this point. I can still mount its partition and read things out that way, but I'd really like to get it working again if possible. I'd also like to get clover installed correctly again on my main drive, so I can boot without the help of a flash drive.

System hardware:

Motherboard: Z77MX-QUO-AOS (similar to many gigabyte boards)

CPU: Intel i5-3570k

RAM: 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x4GB; all slots filled)

Video card: AMD Radeon HD 6xxx 1024MB

Let me know if I should provide any further information. Thanks in advance! :)

post-1868577-0-42490300-1477587363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

mount your sierra OS X hdd, remove folder named Extra and also there should be a boot file, remove that also.mount your sierra efi partition( if you can't use efi mounting utility, google it) , make a folder named backup and put all the files and folders inside it, unmount efi. now reinstall clover to your sierra hdd and you should see a mounted efi partition again, now put all your sierra kexts in  efi/kexts/other folder. also add your yosemite config.plist and smbios.disable SIP and install your kexts into S/L/E folder, repair permissions and reboot. hope it works!!

OK, I did most of that (I'm not sure what kexts I need, and I don't know how to verify whether SIP is enabled or not), and I now have clover working again, so that clover can boot El Capitan just fine. I still can't boot sierra, but it gets farther before panicking now. See attached for the new error.

post-1868577-0-96499500-1477673533_thumb.jpg