HOW TO: Create a bootable Sierra ISO for VMware

Glaude

9 posts in this topic

I found on the Internet what follows, it was planned for Virtualbox. I made a light adaptation.

Tested with VMware workstation 10 and WMware fusion 8. It is OK

Creating a bootable macOS Sierra ISO :

• Open Terminal, then run the following commands one at a time:
    • hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app
    • hdiutil create -o /tmp/Sierra.cdr -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
    • hdiutil attach /tmp/Sierra.cdr.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
    • asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase
    • rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
    • cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/
    • cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.chunklist
    • cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.dmg
    • hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app
    • hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
    • hdiutil convert /tmp/Sierra.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/Sierra.iso
    • mv /tmp/Sierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/Sierra.iso
    •  

• Like 4

I found on the Internet what follows, it was planned for Virtualbox. I made a light adaptation.

Tested with VMware workstation 10 and WMware fusion 8. It is OK

Creating a bootable macOS Sierra ISO :

• Open Terminal, then run the following commands one at a time:
    • hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app
    • hdiutil create -o /tmp/Sierra.cdr -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
    • hdiutil attach /tmp/Sierra.cdr.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
    • asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase
    • cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/
    • cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.chunklist
    • cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.dmg
    • hdiutil convert /tmp/Sierra.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/Sierra.iso
    • mv /tmp/Sierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/Sierra.iso
    •  

Glaude,

Just for information, Fusion 8.x does not need an iso it can install directly from the App Store download, for workstation shela's script can create an iso for any of the App Store download versions of OS X and macOS, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-to-el-capitan-in-vmware-workstation-1011-workstation-proplayer-12-player-67-esxi-56/?p=2279523

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Glaude, thank you so very much for making my life a bit fun, I use your method and change it a bit to make a bootable ISO for Yosemite and it works :)

here is my little mod thanks to you. At the time I was using VMware with Mavericks and downloaded Yosemite from the App store and then your magic to produce the ISO Hoo Hoo Hoorrayyy :)

Code:

• hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app
  • hdiutil create -o /tmp/Yosemite.cdr -size 7316m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
  • hdiutil attach /tmp/Yosemite.cdr.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
  • hdiutil convert /tmp/Yosemite.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/Yosemite.iso
  • mv /tmp/Yosemite.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/Yosemite.iso

• 2 weeks later...

Script of 'shela' has an error in the resize calculation. Fix this error by adding '-size 7316m' in the script:

# Create sparse image with a Single Partition UDIF
  info "Creating sparse image..."
  hdiutil create -o "${TEMP_DIR}/osx" -size 7316m -type SPARSE -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
  if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
    error "Could not create sparse image."
    exit 1
  fi

Fix the error by commenting out this portion with the wrong calculation (if uncommented up to 'echo "Size= ${size}b"', this echoes the wrongly calculated value for the resize):

# Resize sparse image
  #info "Resizing sparse image..."
  #local size
  #size=$(hdiutil resize -limits "${SPARSE_IMAGE}" \
  #       | tail -n 1 \
  #       | awk '{ print $1 }')
  #echo "Size= ${size}b"
  #hdiutil resize -size "${size}b" "${SPARSE_IMAGE}"
  #if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
  #  error "Could not resize sparse iamge."
  #  exit 1
  #fi

The adjusted script:

create_iso.txt

Adjust the .txt file similar to the explanation of the original script:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-to-el-capitan-in-vmware-workstation-1011-workstation-proplayer-12-player-67-esxi-56/?p=2279523

The script now correctly generates a Sierra .iso!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...