Keyboard is unresponsive during Windows Boot Manager when booting from dual partition Windows MBR hard disk via Clover

4 posts in this topic

I am using Clover Legacy (r3526) to be able to boot from my dual Windows OS  partition MBR hard disk (Win 7/Win Vista). I set Win 7 to be the active primary. However when I try to boot from Win 7 partition, I'm stuck at Windows Boot Manager where I no longer have access to my keyboard so I am forced to wait for the count down to run out before it automatically loads Windows 7... I'm sure this very problem has to do with Clover after reading this thread here. I am confused by what to do in order to fix this issue. Any helpful advice is welcome. Thanks

Hi Frank,

In that thread that you linked to, @Zenith432 suggested installing Clover with the BiosBlockIO option (boot7 instead of boot6) - "boot7 keeps legacy bios in control of USB and SATA instead of using UEFI drivers for them."

Another solution would be to install the UEFI Windows bootloader, bootmgfw.efi, in your Windows 7 partition: - see Install the UEFI Windows Bootloader in an existing Legacy Windows MBR Installation.  This way, you can boot Windows 7 in UEFI mode through Clover's main menu.

Edit

I rather not use you second solution which requires that I modify/change Windows files. Thanks

The above method only adds an \EFI folder with BCD hive to the Windows partition - it does not alter any bootsectors or add/change any files in the Windows folder so you can still legacy boot through your BIOS boot key OR UEFI Boot through Clover...

post-846696-0-12720200-1464772336_thumb.png

post-846696-0-89071000-1464773125_thumb.png

To remove, just delete the EFI folder.

If you don't want to add EFI boot files to your original install, you can leave Window's legacy bootloader to boot WIN7/Vista and then chainload to Clover (on your OSX hard drive) when you want to boot OSX - see

Using EasyBCD to Chainload Chameleon or Clover from the legacy Windows Bootloader

Hi Frank,

In that thread that you linked to, Zenith432 suggested installing Clover with the BiosBlockIO option (boot7 instead of boot6) - "boot7 keeps legacy bios in control of USB and SATA instead of using UEFI drivers for them."

Another solution would be to install the UEFI Windows bootloader, bootmgfw.efi in your Windows 7 partition: - see Install the UEFI Windows Bootloader in an existing Legacy Windows MBR Installation.  This way, you can boot Windows 7 in UEFI mode through Clover's main menu.

Your BiosBlockIO solution worked however now I'm stuck in a situation where my mouse is entirely unresponsive and the keyboard barely works in Clover GUI menu. I have to mash down the arrow keys rapidly on the keyboard so I can highlight each bootable OS/option. Anyway to fix that? I'm using rig #1 in my sig.

I rather not use you second solution which requires that I modify/change Windows files. Thanks