El Capitan - Sierra - High Sierra - Sony Vaio E Series (2012) - SVE1712W1EB - AMD Radeon HD 7650M

Onestyle

71 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bananz0 said:

Any Updates to Mojave?

I’ve done some tests, small changes are needed but I won’t be fully updating to it until it’s final as I need a stable Mac OS.  Then I’ll update the first post too. 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:08 AM, Onestyle said:

I’ve done some tests, small changes are needed but I won’t be fully updating to it until it’s final as I need a stable Mac OS.  Then I’ll update the first post too. 

I'm doing some tests as well. My model is slight different, but your tips work in the past and our systems are fairly similar. I can't make my radeon fully work. If you are getting same trouble, please let me know. 

On 8/20/2018 at 2:05 AM, vanantonietti said:

I'm doing some tests as well. My model is slight different, but your tips work in the past and our systems are fairly similar. I can't make my radeon fully work. If you are getting same trouble, please let me know. 

What seems to be the problem? QE/CI, full resolution support, weird artefacts?? 

A little update. Just tested Mojave latest beta, almost everything from the first post works ( some things need small fixes) , but there are some issues with the Radeon card. Since Mojave dropped certain kexts that were used since El Capitan to High Sierra, almost out of the box solution ( with clover and WhateverGreen) isn't possible at the moment. I've managed to get Mojave to read the gpu as AMD Radeon HD 7650M Series 2048 MB by using the kexts from High Sierra ( the ones that Mojave dropped). But unluckily, no QE/CI at the moment due to Mojave not wanting to load AMDRadeonX3000.kext for some reason ( need to investigate why it's unwilling to load it, as that's the key of getting QE/CI) .

The kexts that were dropped in Mojave  and are used to get this GPU running in older Mac OS's are AMDLegacySupport, AMDLegacyFramebuffer, AMDRadeonX3000 and AMD6000Controller.

This is a long shot thought, considering the fact that Mojave is full on Metal, and this gpu isn't playing well with Metal. The laptop I'm using needs to be stable, so Mojave will get a certain amount of attention, basically I'll be playing around with it since it's worth trying. If anyone ends up having some progress on this matter, finds something that might be worth trying, I welcome anyone willing to help. :)

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, Onestyle said:

A little update. Just tested Mojave latest beta, almost everything from the first post works ( some things need small fixes) , but there are some issues with the Radeon card. Since Mojave dropped certain kexts that were used since El Capitan to High Sierra, almost out of the box solution ( with clover and WhateverGreen) isn't possible at the moment. I've managed to get Mojave to read the gpu as AMD Radeon HD 7650M Series 2048 MB by using the kexts from High Sierra ( the ones that Mojave dropped). But unluckily, no QE/CI at the moment due to Mojave not wanting to load AMDRadeonX3000.kext for some reason ( need to investigate why it's unwilling to load it, as that's the key of getting QE/CI) .

The kexts that were dropped in Mojave  and are used to get this GPU running in older Mac OS's are AMDLegacySupport, AMDLegacyFramebuffer, AMDRadeonX3000 and AMD6000Controller.

This is a long shot thought, considering the fact that Mojave is full on Metal, and this gpu isn't playing well with Metal. The laptop I'm using needs to be stable, so Mojave will get a certain amount of attention, basically I'll be playing around with it since it's worth trying. If anyone ends up having some progress on this matter, finds something that might be worth trying, I welcome anyone willing to help. :)

Yes, I read something on reddit that some kext and framebuffer support was removed, someone propose the same solution you said, use older kext from High Sierra. I'll wait the final release a try again in a different drive, but I'm already accepting the fact that the update might not be possible, but I'm Willing to help and try to make it work. 

On 9/23/2018 at 7:43 AM, vanantonietti said:

Yes, I read something on reddit that some kext and framebuffer support was removed, someone propose the same solution you said, use older kext from High Sierra. I'll wait the final release a try again in a different drive, but I'm already accepting the fact that the update might not be possible, but I'm Willing to help and try to make it work. 

Using simple kext copy and paste doesn't seem to do much good, it reads the gpu well but doesn't give QE/CI. My guess is that additional steps are required, like copy pasting some other stuff from High Sierra.
First test that I'm going to do with the final release version that's available now, after I download it and install it, is copy pasting framework related stuff like user nmano did for his Nvidia card : 

CoreDisplay from 10.13.4 to 10.14

⁨System⁩  ⁨Library⁩  ⁨Frameworks⁩  ⁨CoreDisplay.framework⁩  ⁨Versions⁩  ⁨A⁩ Doesn't work 
This again is a longshot, but worth trying as the gpu is metal capable to an extent since it worked well and was supported in High Sierra. Plus, this isn't the first time framework related stuff had to be copied to get Radeon GPUs  working, similar thing happened when certain GPUs support was dropped after Lion. So, there's still hope :) . But at the moment I'm busy with my personal life, so Mojave testing will have to wait a bit. 

Edited by Onestyle

@vanantonietti   Made some progress, still no QE/CI, but at least all Radeon kexts are loaded that are needed for QE/CI. (As shown in the screenshot)  Next step, figure out why QE/CI won't activate(what else needs to be copied from HS to Mojave to force it to work) . Whole progress so far includes a dirty solution that involves adding High Sierra kexts that AMDRadeonX3000.kext depends on to Mojave ( weird thing is, seems that Mojave doesn't complain about High Sierra kexts, so thats a big plus). To test if QE/CI works one simply needs to open dashboard and try to add a new widget, if it's fast and smooth, it works, if not, it doesn't.  

Screenshot.png

Edited by Onestyle

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 5:18 PM, Onestyle said:

@vanantonietti   Made some progress, still no QE/CI, but at least all Radeon kexts are loaded that are needed for QE/CI. (As shown in the screenshot)  Next step, figure out why QE/CI won't activate(what else needs to be copied from HS to Mojave to force it to work) . Whole progress so far includes a dirty solution that involves adding High Sierra kexts that AMDRadeonX3000.kext depends on to Mojave ( weird thing is, seems that Mojave doesn't complain about High Sierra kexts, so thats a big plus). To test if QE/CI works one simply needs to open dashboard and try to add a new widget, if it's fast and smooth, it works, if not, it doesn't.  

Screenshot.png

@Onestyle Great to know that you are achieving progress. I'm changing my approach, I'm stopping playing games on my PC, so I decided to make a hackintosh on my main desktop. I installed Mojave yesterday, I'll prepare backups HD and after everything is ok I'll try the dirty solutions you mentioned on my notebook, without any fear, I'm already reading about the problem and will try something soon. It's noticeable when QE/QI is working, even opening launchpad folders is slow

• 2 months later...

@Nonta97, as u requested :)

Clover configuration-Graphics : 

set Dual Link : 0 , FB Name : Pondweed , Vram : 1,024 , Video Ports : 3 , Check Load Vbios ,Inject Edid , Inject ATI .
3. Clover configuration- Kernel and Kext Patches : 
Name : AMD6000Controller

use AMDFramebufferUtilty to get best result.

And @Onestyle y is ur Fake ID : ATI : 0x67411002 instead of 0x68411002

1002_6841.rom.zip

Hey where can I get the ati connectors data, I tried frame buffer utility and generated the cfg bin file and gave it as an input to AMD frame buffer utility. But it doesn't show any data. I also have the same graphics card amd 7650m (1gb) and core i3  cpu Sony Vaio 2012 model. I have installed macos seiraa  on it. Is the connector data same for each device?

Waiting for your reply.

Edited by anmols

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, pantherstoner12 said:

Does QE/QI work in Mojave? Any update on this?

No, still pretty much stuck at the same place as on my last post about it. So far I haven't noticed anyone making any progress on making the non metal gpu's working on Mojave, even on High Sierra these gpu's used "Legacy Support".
I guess and this is a wild guess, the only thing that could make it semi work is to find out or modify certain kexts on Mojave to make High Sierra Legacy Support kexts work on it.

Another wild guess that could maybe work is injecting and replacing whole framebuffer and gpu id in mojave supported AMD kext closest to this GPU with the ones from High Sierra, hoping it will semi function and get QE/CI running. Did a similar thing once with Maveric on a different laptop that didn't have any support for it and it worked, but big difference is that back that OpenGL was still being used. But both ideas require research and I just don't have enough time to do it, nor I'm sure any of these ideas will work due to Metal being fully used in Mojave 

4 hours ago, Onestyle said:

No, still pretty much stuck at the same place as on my last post about it. So far I haven't noticed anyone making any progress on making the non metal gpu's working on Mojave, even on High Sierra these gpu's used "Legacy Support".
I guess and this is a wild guess, the only thing that could make it semi work is to find out or modify certain kexts on Mojave to make High Sierra Legacy Support kexts work on it.

Another wild guess that could maybe work is injecting and replacing whole framebuffer and gpu id in mojave supported AMD kext closest to this GPU with the ones from High Sierra, hoping it will semi function and get QE/CI running. Did a similar thing once with Maveric on a different laptop that didn't have any support for it and it worked, but big difference is that back that OpenGL was still being used. But both ideas require research and I just don't have enough time to do it, nor I'm sure any of these ideas will work due to Metal being fully used in Mojave 

Thanks a lot for your work. I was able to get the High Sierra working properly. The only thing I will miss from Mojave will be the dark mode. I guess I can live without that :)

19 hours ago, pantherstoner12 said:

@Onestyle I installed High Sierra again today in my SSD and found that there is no need of the `EFI/CLOVER/ROM/1002_6841.ROM` for Radeon to work. It detected and working perfectly without the ROM file.

I just sticked to it cause that's what I did from the start lol. Good to know there's no need for it anymore

@Onestyle Did you get the Bluetooth working in High Sierra? I got the Bluetooth working and is able to connect to devices using the VMWare method (It takes like around 10sec now). But, if you have any kext method, please post that, as that would be much faster.

The link I followed to make the Bluetooth work: https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/10127-updated-nov-2017-fix-btfirmwareuploader-in-macos-high-sierra/

@Onestyle Do you know whether we can enable the Intel HD graphics somehow and disable the Radeon(by DSDT or fake ID injection or something like that?)? As HD3000 is supported by Mojave, I want to try that option.

Edit: I checked with Elementary Linux and it is not even detecting Intel HD3000. Seems like it is disabled and we don't have access to BIOS.

Edited by pantherstoner12

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 7:38 PM, pantherstoner12 said:

@Onestyle Did you get the Bluetooth working in High Sierra? I got the Bluetooth working and is able to connect to devices using the VMWare method (It takes like around 10sec now). But, if you have any kext method, please post that, as that would be much faster.

The link I followed to make the Bluetooth work: https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/10127-updated-nov-2017-fix-btfirmwareuploader-in-macos-high-sierra/

Gave up on trying really and just bought an usb bluetooth dongle

On 10/21/2019 at 8:54 PM, pantherstoner12 said:

@Onestyle Do you know whether we can enable the Intel HD graphics somehow and disable the Radeon(by DSDT or fake ID injection or something like that?)? As HD3000 is supported by Mojave, I want to try that option.

Edit: I checked with Elementary Linux and it is not even detecting Intel HD3000. Seems like it is disabled and we don't have access to BIOS.

Not really, not an option unless you are willing to hack your bios, enable advance options and then flash the hacked version ( not advisable, highly dangerous )

On 10/22/2019 at 3:05 PM, pantherstoner12 said:

Not really, there's a dirty way to try that might work which involves hex patching a certain framebuffer in 7xxx completely with the framebufffer from 6xxx, then hex patching the 4000 controller kext with the parts from 3000 controller. Basically what I'm saying is, dirty way is importing older gpu stuff in newer kext, just to make it load, but that still doesn't guarantee QE/CI. And honestly I don't have the time to get into it. 

• 1 month later...

Guys, hello for everyone! I'm newbie here and in Hackintosh world, so don't kick me hard. My laptop is Sony Vaio SVE1511x1rsi i5-2450M, AMD Radeon HD 7650M, RAM 6GB DDR3, High Sierra 10.13.1(From Hackintosh zone), Clover 4330.

It's video card not working for me :( I did almost everything what I found in the Internet and I can't understand what am I doing wrong. Maybe you guys would help me?

Pls tell me what kind of system files you need

• 5 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 4:49 AM, Onestyle said:

Not really, not an option unless you are willing to hack your bios, enable advance options and then flash the hacked version ( not advisable, highly dangerous )

Well, I tried doing that using the EFI Shell and got this panic:

Spoiler

Kextd stall[0], (60): 'IGPU'

Maybe its hardware disabled? I'm waiting for a USB programmer to try and change some other options and still have a way to recover it 

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:25 PM, Bananz0 said:

Well, I tried doing that using the EFI Shell and got this panic:

Reveal hidden contents

Kextd stall[0], (60): 'IGPU'

Maybe its hardware disabled? I'm waiting for a USB programmer to try and change some other options and still have a way to recover it 

Highly doubt they would go with hardware disable when bios disable is far easier. So you've actually modified the bios of your Sony Vaio, enabled the intel gpu and flashed it. The error you are getting usually shows when gpu isn't loaded properly. So what you should do is, completely remove anything Radeon related from your config file, and try to load whatevergreen to work with intel gpu. It's a big step in making this configuration work with Catalina so might be willing to invest my time in it. :)
DM me, I might be willing to test this out on my laptop and to try and resolve it

• Thanks 1