10.11.3 Clover - Boots to black screen - Sometimes.....

mickeyd453

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a machine thats currently running on 10.11.3 and it has a 1GB GT 610 in it - Historically this machine has run flawless with El Capitan however i am increasingly experiencing the following.

As a matter of course this machine will boot and at the point the mac logo is replaced by the desktop the monitor completely cuts out and goes to sleep - Now this happens maybe 8 boots out of every 10 but on the odd occasion it does boot to the desktop then it operates without problem. This never used to be the case and it also as far as i remember has not really tied in to any software update although i cant be certain. The screen itself is fine and the GFX card also appears to work - I think this is a driver problem.

When the desktop fails to display about the only thing in the boot log to indicate something might be wrong is

Feb 14 10:36:19 imac loginwindow[100]: ERROR | -[LoginProgress startingProgressRectForMainScreen] | Could not locate the boot display

Although i am not 100% certain that is a real error - This is an nvidia card and the drivers in use are

imac:~ root# kextstat | grep -i nvi
  108    2 0xffffff7f81031000 0x27a000   0x27a000   com.apple.nvidia.driver.NVDAResman (10.0.8) 57B619C4-A94E-341E-A276-5C4F83341C49 <107 79 74 12 5 4 3 1>
  109    0 0xffffff7f812b6000 0x1d0000   0x1d0000   com.apple.nvidia.driver.NVDAGF100Hal (10.0.8) 61459E83-BB90-3AB0-9810-876DBF564132 <108 12 4 3>

If i boot a 10.11.0 installer the display works 100% of the time in order to get to the the installer and about the only difference i can see is that the nvidia driver version seems to be is 10.0.6

The machine itself actually boots fine when the desktop fails to display and i can VNC or ssh in without problem - but as a desktop it is naturally un usable -

Any ideas on additional things to try / areas to look?

thanks

Have you ever tried reading the EDID of your display and injecting it in Clover, and making a DisplayOverride, so as to get your desired resolutions whether HiDPI or not? It normally helps this kind of issues with screens

Also you might have not installed the proprietary NVIDIA web drivers for Mac OSX, you can do it even from single user mode

Can you offer any hints on how I might go about injecing a DisplayOverride to clover? Clover seems to display st the correct resolution but then when the desktop is supposed to come up this problem occurs.

I have not tried the web drivers as I did not see my card, the GT 610, listed in the supported cards for the web drivers and as the native drivers work fine when the desktop actually displays I am not sure they are required.

Thanks for the response!!

You should get value of your Display's EDID and inject it using Clover, you can introduce your value in your config plist.

That's the first thing you should try

If that doesnt work there are the other alternatives, like DisplayOverride

Only after all those options run out should you try and get modified graphics card drivers

Inject your Custom EDID and tell me if that solves the issue. In most cases it does. Otherwise I'll be here to help :D

Hi - I have added the following to config.plist but before i reboot does the syntax generally look ok apart from my unique hex string?

<key>Graphics</key>
        <dict>
                <key>DualLink</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>FBName</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>ATI</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Intel</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>NVidia</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>
                <key>InjectEDID</key>
                <true/>
                <key>CustomEDID</key>
                <data>AP///////wAQrBegU0M4MA8RAQOANCF47u6Ro1RMmSYPUFSlSwCBgKlAcU+zAAEBAQEBAQEBKDyAoHCwI0AwIDYAB0QhAAAaAAAA/wBVWTU0NTc0QzA4Q1MgAAAA/ABERUxMIDI0MDdXRlAKAAAA/QA4TB5TEQAKICAgICAgALU=</data>
        </dict>

I have never had a problem with this card either so it must be something 10.11.x related although this is definitely an intermittent problem - The cable is 100% ok.

I have the following NV* kexts

# ls -la /System/Library/Extensions/NV*
NVDAGF100Hal.kext/     NVDANV50HalTesla.kext/ NVDAResmanTesla.kext/  NVMeSMARTLib.plugin/   
NVDAGK100Hal.kext/     NVDAResman.kext/       NVDAStartup.kext/      NVSMU.kext/

thanks so far!

Hi - I have added the following to config.plist but before i reboot does the syntax generally look ok apart from my unique hex string?

<key>Graphics</key>
        <dict>
                <key>DualLink</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>FBName</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>ATI</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Intel</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>NVidia</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>
                <key>InjectEDID</key>
                <true/>
                <key>CustomEDID</key>
                <data>AP///////wAQrBegU0M4MA8RAQOANCF47u6Ro1RMmSYPUFSlSwCBgKlAcU+zAAEBAQEBAQEBKDyAoHCwI0AwIDYAB0QhAAAaAAAA/wBVWTU0NTc0QzA4Q1MgAAAA/ABERUxMIDI0MDdXRlAKAAAA/QA4TB5TEQAKICAgICAgALU=</data>
        </dict>

I have never had a problem with this card either so it must be something 10.11.x related although this is definitely an intermittent problem - The cable is 100% ok.

I have the following NV* kexts

# ls -la /System/Library/Extensions/NV*
NVDAGF100Hal.kext/     NVDANV50HalTesla.kext/ NVDAResmanTesla.kext/  NVMeSMARTLib.plugin/   
NVDAGK100Hal.kext/     NVDAResman.kext/       NVDAStartup.kext/      NVSMU.kext/

thanks so far!

Yes mate, it looks ok generally. You took the hex string and put it in the right place. Try out your new config plist on a Clover USB stick. That way you dont lose anything if something goes wrong.

On a side note why dont you use Clover Configurator, makes life easier for begginers with hex strings and kernel and kext patching

Ok after adding that to the config.plist I have had 3 successful boots to the desktop in a row. I hope it is fixed but once I get to 10 in a row I will claim success!

I like to edit files by hand and use the command line as I want to understand what I am doing and why rather than just rely on a tool to do it for me.

It's good to have that mindset about learning. Keep trying and tell me how it went :D

Ok after adding that to the config.plist I have had 3 successful boots to the desktop in a row. I hope it is fixed but once I get to 10 in a row I will claim success!

I like to edit files by hand and use the command line as I want to understand what I am doing and why rather than just rely on a tool to do it for me.