yosemite installer not recognizing internal sata drive

lizbeth

14 posts in this topic

its an old dell optiplex 755 2.33 ghtz core 2 duo with 4 gigs ram amd an internal 80 gig drive with ati raedon hd 2500.  I was able to get the install usb to run with -x -v but when it came to to open the disk utility the only disk drive recognized was the usb installer disk.  i have installed on this drive previously with dvd boot drives.  Any ideas on boot options that can make the installer recognized internal sata?  please!!!!  thanks :-*

Yes it was set to ahci

i sent the the following boot options -x -v cpus=1 in order to get it to go into the yosemite installer.  I have seen on other posts people electing to mount their hdd on usb in order to install it.  I've opted for that but it doesn't really address the installer not recognizing internal sata drives on older machines.  little wonder i cant upgrade from snowy leopards to yosemite given this issue.

Even though i have chosen the work around for the time being of mounting the sata on a usb port with an adapter (hdd enclosure) I am will to experiment to find an actual solution if anyone has a good idea on this and what the problem might be.  (After my current install ginishes of course!)

I had managed to install sl on it previously with a boot dvd.  This was a fresh install of Yosemite using a usb install method.  I managed to install it by plugging it in to a usb port as only usb ports were recognized on my system.   I am not sure what chipset i have.  How do i tell? its an optiplex 755 with a core 2 duo and 4 gigs of ram and a 80 gig sata hdd.  i didn't see anything in the bios about a chipset.  the processor is e6550 at 2.33 ghtz.

I had connected it back to sata after the instalkl and used the usb boot media to boot the machine.  it recognized the sata drive from the boot manager on the usb and i sent the following flags at boot -x -v cpus=1 busratio=20 and it started to but but is stuck at waiting for root device and doesn't go further.

Is any of this useful info?

I feel like i am so close to getting this thing booting yosemite.

i could not get snowy leopards to d/l yosemite from the app store as it copuldn't verify my machine and no apps i could find would adjust it to pass their muster.  this is my second choice.

You need AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and set HDD to ATA or Legacy.

Take a look at this topic if using chameleon, from 8th post - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306802-yosemite-on-optiplex-755-chameleon-input-needed-not-a-guide/

You can get that kext from Optiplex 755 bootpack from osxlatitude  forum.

If using Clover you'll need IOATAFamily.kext from Mountain lion if i remember correctly, and again set HDD to legacy.

Please let me know if anyone have installed 10.10 from sata controller set to AHCI on 755.

Edit:

And just to add on thing to Crushers' post, Mountain Lion is made for optiplex 755 :) You only need FakeSMC and you're good to go (AppleRTC patch for cmos reset after install).

• Like 2

will mountain lion upgrade to yosemite?

osxlatitude registration doesnt seem to work...

im not sure ho to install a kext.  i had access to mac to make a usb drive of yosemite but i dont have access now that i can take the usb and add a kext.  I'm a noob at this.

im not sure ho to install a kext.  i had access to mac to make a usb drive of yosemite but i dont have access now that i can take the usb and add a kext.  I'm a noob at this.

you really need to go through the basics. take a read at guides and hows to so you don´t get lost in easy things and can walk faster and safer  :wink_anim:

• Like 2

@lizbeth,

IMHO, the best way to learn hackintosh is to manually create your own installer using the Vanilla Install Guide.  Too many noobs use automated installers before they learn the basics and hence run into problems since these installers use generic configurations that won't work for all machines.

If you google "Dell Optiplex 755 Yosemite", you'll find a few useful guides on how to overcome the incompatible AHCI problem in Yosemite:

After you have created your Yosemite USB installer,

1.  Replace the /Extra folder on the installer with the attached /Extra folder from the Optiplex 755 Chameleon bootpack from OSX Latitude (contains AppleIntelPIIXATA2 in /Extra/Extensions).

post-846696-0-61703700-1436359732_thumb.png

2.  Set the SATA operation in your BIOS to RAID on ATA or Legacy (not AHCI in this case).

3.  Boot your computer with the USB installer in verbose mode without caches (-v -f) and install OSX on the hard drive.

4.  Install Chameleon on your hard drive and copy the /Extra folder from your USB installer to the root of your Yosemite installation.

5.  Post Install:  Transfer kexts from /Extra/Extensions and install in /System/Library/Extensions with Kext Wizard or Kext Utility.  You need to patch AppleRTC.kext to prevent the BIOS/CMOS resets you were having in post#11- see guide here.

Good Luck!

Extra_Optiplex 755.zip

• Like 3

will mountain lion upgrade to yosemite?

Don't do that, clean install is always better.

I'm just mentioning ML because you only need FakeSMC.kext for the installation. AppleIntelE1000e for LAN and AppleRTC for CMOS reset afterwards, but thats minimum amount of kext for any installation (i'm using usb sound card). With Mavericks and Yosemite you have SATA trouble and more kext = less vanilla installation.  

Just follow Fusion71au's guide above.

Don't use DSDT and delete it from chameleon.boot.plist, and there is no need for NullCPUPowerManagement with Optiplex 755.

• Like 2