Install Yosemite on Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with Nvidia

xangel9626

32 posts in this topic

This guide is for installing OS X Yosemite on a Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with Nvidia graphics.  It is experimental as I haven’t worked on any bugs or updated any of the kexts to see if anything will work better.

From what I came up with so far is that iMessage and Facetime will not let you log in.  All hardware seems to be working as it did in Mavericks and Mountain LionAgain, I have not done any tweaking, so if anyone finds any issues and finds a fix, please post them here for everyone else.

Credit goes to everyone that created/put together the utilites and kexts used in this tutorial.  There are too many people to list, I want to thank you all for doing your part to make Hackintosh a reality.

SYSTEM STATUS

Working:

·       Trackpad with 2 finger scrolling and Tapping

·       USB Bluetooth

·       Graphics with QE/CI

·       Ethernet

·       Wi-Fi

·       Audio

·       Battery Icon

·       iCloud/iMessage

·       AirDrop

·       Reboot

·       Auto and Lid Sleep

·       CPU Speed Stepping

Issues:

·       Waking from Sleep causes USB Bluetooth to mess up, removing/replacing the USB dongle fixes it.

·       Shutdown does not kill power

·       About This Mac shows 15 Inch Macbook Pro, but who cares

·       iMessage and Facetime don’t work

THINGS YOU NEED

1.  Yosemite Chameleon Installer App from this website

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-r2570-v7/

2.  Yosemite installer downloaded from the App Store

3.  8+GB USB drive

4.  DSDT for your system patched with the following:

·       DTGP Method

·       HPET

·       IRQs to fix USB Devices Randomly Not Working

·       USB patch to fix sleep

·       PCI Patch

·       RTC Patch

·       SMBUS patch

·       IDE fix (optional but added)

·       Clamshell fix (optional but added)

·       Shutdown fix for XPSm1530 (optional but added)*

·       USB Drive Sleep Fix for XPSm1530 (optional but added)*

·       Removed AZAL/HDEF section

5.  Kext Utility app (find in Download section of InsanelyMac)

CREATE THE INSTALLER

1.  Download the Yosemite installer app from the App Store and leave it in your Applications folder.

2.  Place the Yosemite Chameleon Installer app in your Applications folder.

3.  Run the Yosemite Chameleon Installer app.

4.  Choose Installer_OSX_Yosemite_Chameleon.

5.  Select the device you are making your installer on, the app will format the disk for you

6.  Click Continue on the installer screens and then select – Installer>Chameleon and Support SMBios>Laptop, then continue and let it do its thing.

7.  Copy the Yosemite Chameleon Installer app to the root of your USB drive (Needed during post install)

8.  Copy your DSDT to the /Extra folder

9.  Reboot Laptop and boot into the Installer USB and install Yosemite (I couldn’t get the trackpad working so I used a USB keyboard with built in trackpad, I’m sure if you just switch out the VoodooPS2Controller kext with the one in my Mavericks tutorial, it would work)

POST INSTALLATION

1.  Reboot laptop and boot from the USB installer, but select your installation hard drive as the boot device.  I didn’t need to use any flags, I think –f and –v are already included in the boot.plist.

2.  Once booted, create your account.

3.  Run the Yosemite Chameleon Installer app, this time choose Postinstaller_OSX_Yosemite_Chameleon, choose – Post Installer>Chameleon and Driver Kext>FakeSMC>FakeSMC

4. Download the zip file attached

5. Open System/Library/Extensions folder

6. Delete AppleRTC, AppleHDA, and AppleSmartBatteryManager

7. Extract the Zip file

8. Place all the kexts included in the zip file into the System/Library/Extensions folder

9. Build the extensions.mkext by dragging the extensions folder to Kext Utility

10. Copy the extensions.mkext to System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

11.  Make sure the org.chameleon.Boot.plist containts the following

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>ShowInfo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>kext-dev-mode=1 max_valid_dma_addr=1024 darkwake=0</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

12.  Reboot, if everything went ok, everything should be working as expected.

One last thing, you can update to 10.10.2, just delete AppleHDA and reboot to get audio working again.

Inspiron1720Yosemite.zip

• Like 2

Hi,

Thank You Xangel...

Installation in progress, I shall inform you...

Just one little question : My laptop has 2 GB RAM and I will receive 2*2 GB next week to replace them (so it will have 4 GB ;-)) Should I make something in OS X to benefit from it ?

Shut down has never worked on the Nvidia version of the Inspiron 1720.  I had one with the Intel GPU but it will only run up to Lion because there are no good 64-bit drivers for the Intel GPU.  There is a member on this board named Ellnic that had a very good DSDT for the Nvidia version of the Inspiron 1720 but I doubt he has more functionality than you managed to get using the Clover DSDT patches.

Hello,

Thus, first phase (creation of the installer) = > nothing to report.

The second phase ( post-intallation ):
Stage 3: before executing Yosemite Chameleon Installer you should not forget to copy it in the Applications folder :P
Stage 9: I had a kernel panic during the execution of Kext Utility but in my opinion it is not because of this program because then, every time I restarted with my USB key to finish the installation (Stages 9 - 11) the laptop froze after few minutes.
Finally I managed to end the stages 9 - 11 then I changed the SMBIOS in 3,1 and I copied my own DSDT in /Extra (the one that I already had on my USB key and that I created by following this advice)

Later I removed my USB key and started directly on the hard disk and everything seems to work !!! Great !!!

Thank you to Xangel and Chris111;-))

(I hope that what I write is understandable :whistle: )

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I was inspired by your tutorial to install my machine. It's a Dell Vostro 1710 (2008), and everything works perfectly "except the audio" !
The sound is on, but it's very poor quality : a lot of crackling and inaudible when I listen to a song from iTunes !
I have tried several solutions with other AppleHDA or VoodooHDA drivers without success !

I don't have any DSDT's.

Do you have an idea to help me ?
In advance,
thank you.

Here is my configuration:

Dell™ Vostro 1710 LT (N1117130)
BIOS version : A12
Processor :  Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 (2.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB)
Memory : SDRAM DDR2 667 MHz 3072 MB (1 x 1024 + 1 x 2048)
Keyboard :  PS/2 integrated - French (AZERTY)
Graphic card : NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GS (128 bits) 256 MB
Hard disk : SATA 250 Go (5400 tr/min)
DVD-ROM :  8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive
Battery : lithium-ion 6 cellules 58 Wh
Screen : UltraSharp™ WUXGA (1920 x 1200) 17" technology TrueLife

LAN : Realtek RTL8111B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controler v2.17 (080602)
WLAN : Broadcom BCM4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n
Audio card : Realtek ALC268 @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M

Hello,
Thank you for the tip !

I tried the driver that corresponds to my machine (AppleHDA-269.25-ALC268.zip + HDAEnabler3.kext.zip), but it still does not work !

Yet in Mountain Lion, the audio worked great !

Too bad, I continue to look for !

• 2 weeks later...

@xangel9626 - I'm having a little trouble getting the OS X installer to start successfully. May I ask which DSDT you used?  Could you post it?

I am using this one:

http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/86-dell-inspiron-1520-bios-a09-dsdt/

With it the boot was crashing about midway (before getting to the Installer) and the 1720 was resetting.  This was resolved by reseting the bios to the factory defaults.

Now, the boot is KP'ing after these lines:

hfs: mounted INSTALLER ondevice root_device

VM Swap Subsystem is ON

ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream...

VooDooPS2Mouse Version 1.0.12 Loaded...

Darwin System Bootstrapper 2.0.0: [date/time]

boot-args = -v kext-dev-mode=1 Darkwake=0 USBBusFix=Yes PCIRootUID=1 dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1

[date/time]

[date/time]

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff000041e80a): Kernel...

I am assuming (no jokes please) it is because I am NOT following your instructions in step 4.  This is because I am a little bit of a newbie and I don't know how to perform your step 4:   

4.  DSDT for your system patched with the following:

etc.

etc.

etc.

May I use your DSDT just to get started?  Or, is there a good guide to step by step take me through your step 4 process?

fyi:  Before I found your guide, I was using the Chimera installer and was able to get a little further.  With it and NO DSDT, I was able to get to the installer, the installer disk utility, and even to the install process where it hung at zero percent.

Thank you for your help.

You need a DSDT for your T7500 processor that has those specific mods.  I've tried making them before, but it seems like they never work, someone else did mine for me.  There was a working DSDT uploaded for a T7500 on my Mavericks thread, but it seems that every file that has been uploaded are no longer on InsanelyMac's server since they went down the other day.  My DSDT probably won't work, but you're welcome to try it (attached).  I am contacting the Moderators to see if they can fix the links in the other thread.

xangel_Inspiron1720DSDT_patched3.zip

Hello everyone and special hi to you xangel.im sorry for not writing and not participating in the forum and your mavericks guide,i deleted my facebook account,and i forgot i use it to login to osx86 so i lost my old account mirko888 and i had some personal things to take care of (marriage,finishing university etc)  and didnt have time for my good old inspiron.who is btw still running like a baby thanks to you xangel.i will look into this guide this weekend probably and try to install yosemite myself.and promise to help you with this guide this time hehe.i think the dsdt t7500 you are talking about is mine.i will upload it tomorrow.xangel can we use the same fakesmc from mavericks or we need this new one?thanks once again for everything,and sorry for abandoning mavericks guide,i will try to go yosemite this weekend:D cheers

as promised here is my t7500 dsdt that is working perfectly in mavericks...i also added my fakesmc that does better speedsteping and a lot lower temperature..and voodoo with half volume fix..this is for MAVERICKS..probably don't work in yosemite

i put on mega..i couldn't find attachments..either i forgot where to add them or is disabled for me

https://mega.co.nz/#!0lEXnTDD!I_lY8V8d32MHzdkLWOgtLzUIW_z-bXnlqoegJkCXGec

Edited by mirko1818818

@mirko - I do believe we need to use the new fakesmc, I haven't really played with Yosemite much to do any tweaking, I just did what I could to get it installed.  If you find any tweaks that work, please let me know and I will throw them in my guide.

@H4WKE - I'm glad you got your system up and running.  Where did you get the DSDT?  As you can see in the post above yours, mirko has re-uploaded the one he used for his T7500, if you want you can try that out to see if it works better for your system.  Also, your Intel 3945ABG wifi card won't work, so you're going to have to do some research and find a card that will work.  Also, the audio should be working, but I notice in your system specs that you list Intel HDA Azalia as your audio, the Inspiron 1720 and Vostro 1700 use Sigmatel Stac9205 audio, I'm not sure why yours would be different.

Yes, you are correct about my sound card. It is in-fact the Sigmatel Stac9205. I have updated my signature accordingly.

I have downloaded Mirko's DSDT and will try it this weekend and share the results.

Regarding the Wifi, is there a recommended USB Wifi stick that others have had success with Yosemite? Have done some looking but haven't come up with anything yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Xangel9626,

I happen to have exactly the same old reliable Dell Inspiron 1720 with the T7250 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo CPU and nvidia 8600M GT graphics.

I tried finding the chameleon usb installer 2570 v7 - but insanelymac seems to have lost some of the uploaded files.

I found a chameleon 2570 installer at hackintosh-Montreal.com - this is probably not the same V7 one?

When I ran that one, I could not successfully boot from usb - the kernel file did not exist in s/l/k, even though the usb installer app did not write any errors to its log.

There could two reasons to this - maybe it's because I'm using the 10.10.2 version of Yosemite (10.10.1 is no longer available for download in the App Store).

Or it could be because I'm running the USB installer app to create the usb stick in a virtual box?

Any suggestions? Or should I forget chameleon and try clover?

Thanks for any help!

It's probably because you didn't have the correct installer, I'll see if I can dig up the copy I downloaded and upload it on here for you.  The version of OS X might not matter, but I used the original 10.10, I've had issues using subsequent versions before, sometimes not, it's hit and miss.  Working in virtualbox isn't an issue, if your OS X runs, you can use it.  If you want, you can try Clover, but I have no experience with it.

• Like 1

Thanks, much appreciated!

Just another perhaps stupid question - is it possible to run the Yosemite installer from usb and install to a (different) usb stick or usb drive and boot Yosemite from USB? I'm short of internal hard disk space... And I've found that a fast USB stick (sandisk ultra or extreme USB 3.0 working in usb 2 mode) is pretty quick at least for an OS such as ubuntu.