GTX 970 stutter issues in desktop

garry__

15 posts in this topic

I've been having this issue where my desktop animations lag on Yosemite 10.10.1. I recorded a video of the issue here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcWsXj46Zs.

I've done some debugging, but I haven't had much luck. What I've discovered is that the problem only arises after I install CUDA drivers. Before that, when I just have the NVidia web drivers installed, performance is fine...

I've tried uninstalling CUDA myself, but none of the official methods I've found worked. I've even contacted NVidia's support team inquiring how to uninstall them, and they couldn't figure it  out. I also contacted Apple, and they shared this forum discussion which didn't restore proper GPU performance (perhaps this uninstall method is incomplete/dated?).

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a different uninstall method for CUDA -- or better, a way for my GPU to perform adequately without having to remove CUDA?

Try new CUDA and report back here!

I installed this version and then did what smolderas mentioned below, with no luck. 

Always rebuild the kernel cache, after you install or uninstall some kexts.

Yup, that could be it. I normally do this, but I might have forgotten to do it this time.

Which command to do this?

I use these:

Open terminal and run the following 3 commands:

1) touch /System/Library/Extensions/

2) kextcache -update-volume /

3) kextcache -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -K /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /System/Library/Extensions

You need to use the retail drivers from Nvidia for this GPU and you must be running Mac OS X 10.10:

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=276&page=3

Also CUDA has nothing to do with video playback. 

I do have the latest web driver installed for my Yosemite installation (10.10.1). I am booting the "nvda_drv=1" bootflag as well.

Perhaps it doesn't, but the only lead I have on this issue is that I only have this problem after installing CUDA. A fresh install where I just have the web driver & no CUDA, there is no stuttering.

Installed the nVidia Drivers. Bootflags in Clover: darkwake dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 slide=100

GA-Z87X-UD5H Bios F10, 16 GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB, I7 4770K @ 4,3GHz Turbo

nVidia Driver & Cuda

Clover as Bootmanager

Set as iMac 14,2 (instability with mac Pro 6,1 and 5,1)

Anyway, I have CUDA removed my system and the problem still persists. Anybody have an idea?

if nv_disable=1 is as bootflag it makes stuttering Display in Yosemite

Installed the nVidia Drivers. Bootflags in Clover: darkwake dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 slide=100

GA-Z87X-UD5H Bios F10, 16 GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB, I7 4770K @ 4,3GHz Turbo

nVidia Driver & Cuda

Clover as Bootmanager

Set as iMac 14,2 (instability with mac Pro 6,1 and 5,1)

if nv_disable=1 is as bootflag it makes stuttering Display in Yosemite

I just tried using the iMac14,2 SMBios and still, I have the stutering issue. I am booting using the nvda_drv=1 bootflag, and without the nv_disable=1 bootflag.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont use imac use macpro 5,1 mine works great and I have two of them

Go to rampagedev.com and you will find great support for your x99

I actually had Andrew help install my system with his premium support option on his site. I'm currently running using macpro6,1 with no luck.