Computer name changing constantly (two or one network interfaces enabled)

Stefan Milev

30 posts in this topic

I was plagued by this issue until I logged into Back to My Mac on the Airport Extreme. Since then, it's been working without incident. I wonder if this makes it so the APE manages the Wake on LAN function. Maybe the Apple TVs doing this for Yosemite macs is not working properly?

I perhaps spoke too soon. The issue seems to be back on my Mac Pro on GM3. I can't seem to peg down when it happens, though it's very possible it occurs when my Mac is sleeping and waking to notify other devices with Wake On Lan. Also, the wake on lan doesn't seem to work with Back to My Mac. I can never get my Mac at home to wake up when I'm at work.

This does seem like a Yosemite bug; I wonder if there's a radar filed for it.

Got the same Issue,

My setup:

MBP Pro (late 2012),

an iMac 27 (early 2014)

Apple TV (late 2012)
Time capsule 2tb (early 2014)

Hackintosh (Asus p67 Sabertooth, 2011)

after upgrading all of them to Yosemite – the host name seems to change randomly on each of them

adding (number) after the name, so from time to time I see a couple of computer in the shared list, and I see the localhost (the computer is sit on)
in the same list and connect to it as if it were a remote machine (?!?)

the issue never existed on mavericks - therefore must be a Yosemite issue.

Anyone got any more findings on this? This is quite annoying, I don't use any kind of NAS aside of time machine automated backups.

update 1:

found a tip on another forum to cycle (load/unload) mDNSResponder to solve this:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemon/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

gotta give it a try, I think this has something to do with the waking up from sleep on yosemite.

Got the same Issue,

My setup:

MBP Pro (late 2012),

an iMac 27 (early 2014)

Apple TV (late 2012)

Time capsule 2tb (early 2014)

Hackintosh (Asus p67 Sabertooth, 2011)

after upgrading all of them to Yosemite – the host name seems to change randomly on each of them

adding (number) after the name, so from time to time I see a couple of computer in the shared list, and I see the localhost (the computer is sit on)

in the same list and connect to it as if it were a remote machine (?!?)

the issue never existed on mavericks - therefore must be a Yosemite issue.

Anyone got any more findings on this? This is quite annoying, I don't use any kind of NAS aside of time machine automated backups.

update 1:

found a tip on another forum to cycle (load/unload) mDNSResponder to solve this:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemon/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

gotta give it a try, I think this has something to do with the waking up from sleep on yosemite.

To disable this behavior on Yosemite you can do it by running following command and reboot:

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :ProgramArguments: string --no-namechange" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist

As seen on: http://ispire.me/fix-yosemite-rtc-alarm-wakeup-issue/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

folks fyi, I'm having the same issue. setup as follows:

• Timecapsule (Handles DHCP, back to my mac disabled)
  • Synology NAS
  • Apple TV
  • Macbook Pro 2007
  • Macbook Pro 2011
  • Mac Pro 2013
  • Mac Mini
  • Comcast with simultaneous IPv6 and IPv4 addresses on the network (not sure if relevant)

All running Yosemite. But for some reason the MBP 2007 is the only machine that has this naming issue. In finder I have like 15 copies of that same machine name with (2), (3) etc after it.

Also have issues with wake on lan.