Rhapsody in VMware

CFran

10 posts in this topic

While I still can't mess around with OSx86 since I only got SSE, I tried messing around with Rhapsody DR2 x86 in VMware, but I got stuck..

I managed booting Rhapsody x86 with the two floppies as far as getting

to "Rhapsody Mach Operating System" and having it telling me

"No SCSI controller or CD-ROM drive found

use sd%d, hd%d, fd%d, en%d or tr%d

root device?"

then I type hd0 because that's the only thing I can try really, and it

tells me then :

"rootdev 300, howto 40001

cannot mount root, errno = 22"

I have to say that my harddrive image is IDE, and left as it is at

first when you create a new virtual machine. anyone who have messed

with Rhapsody on VMware could help?

• 1 month later...
While I still can't mess around with OSx86 since I only got SSE, I tried messing around with Rhapsody DR2 x86 in VMware, but I got stuck..

I managed booting Rhapsody x86 with the two floppies as far as getting

to "Rhapsody Mach Operating System" and having it telling me

"No SCSI controller or CD-ROM drive found

use sd%d, hd%d, fd%d, en%d or tr%d

root device?"

then I type hd0 because that's the only thing I can try really, and it

tells me then :

"rootdev 300, howto 40001

cannot mount root, errno = 22"

I have to say that my harddrive image is IDE, and left as it is at

first when you create a new virtual machine. anyone who have messed

with Rhapsody on VMware could help?

Im installing rhapsody dr2 in vmware player right now... Sounds to me that you didnt set it up for all IDE, or forgot to load the EIDE drivers (I go for the PIIX4 looking one.... I forget the exact term).

I did install Nextstep so im realativly sure it'll run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

rhapsody runs mostly fine in VMWare player here - mouse is jerky sometimes, and to use it you really need the VMWare FB driver (http://atomicobject.com/media/files/VMWareFB.config.compressed) to have color.

also, vmware emulates an AMD PCNet-32 card for which i haven't found a driver (yet) though i know one exists for OPENSTEP, so it's out there somewhere...

rhapsody runs mostly fine in VMWare player here - mouse is jerky sometimes, and to use it you really need the VMWare FB driver (http://atomicobject.com/media/files/VMWareFB.config.compressed) to have color.

also, vmware emulates an AMD PCNet-32 card for which i haven't found a driver (yet) though i know one exists for OPENSTEP, so it's out there somewhere...

OK, you say it runs fine in VMware player, but how did you install it in the first place? cuz that's my main problem! i'm stuck at some point of the install, and it does the same with NeXTStep. Maybe it's just that I do something wrong tho, idk

• 7 months later...
Ah dudes... I beg to differ. Rhapsody will run in Bochs, a processor emulator, fine (albiet slowly). Unfortunately it is VERY HARD to set up. I am going to create a pdf guide on how to set Rhapsody up properly on Bochs.

Excellent i have been looking for a good guide that works i havent been able to get rhapsody to install in anything i have tried for the last few years

jrsdead