[SOLVED] - Updating iLife, etc. in App Store with myHack ?

natgab

12 posts in this topic

The myHack installer works great in my 2010 build.

Just need some help regarding the software updating.  I was able to install Mavericks 10.9 using myHack onto my current 10.7.5 build as an in-place install. Didn't even have to re-install applications.  :thumbsup_anim:

I was able to go to the App Store and upgrade to Mavericks 10.9.2, without asking for an Apple ID.  But when I wanted to update the iLife and iWork applications it asked for an Apple ID.  If I entered my Apple ID, it says it does not recognize my Mac.  Since there no longer is a way to download from the Apple website, how can I update?  Will hacking the " About this Mac " fix the problem?  Previously under Lion 10.7.5, I saw my specs correctly but ID the build as a Mac Pro.  Now it is not even reading my CPU GHz correctly.  Thanks

23kareo.jpg

EDIT:  added topic tag with my motherboard for clarity. marked solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Use Champlist (Which you should already have since it looks like you used iATKOS previously) to generate a SMBIOS for MacPro 3,1

Sorry for the late response,  busy with work and got sidetracked re-installing OS 9 on my Power Mac G4.  :P

I do not have Champlist,  I installed Mavericks with myHack.  Previously I used Kakewalk for Lion.  In Lion the Kakewalk installer ID my Hack as a Mac Pro on its own.  I never had to hack the identifier.  Do I use Champlist for the download or does it fix my " About this Mac " to let me update?

Champlist generates a new SMBIOS to make the App Store think the Hackintosh is a Mac.

I will download and then report back if it worked ok.  Since I am running Mavericks 10.9.2 on an older Gigabyte MB, hopefully my situation and solutions will be of help for somebody else.

EDIT:  everything below added after 1st attempt with Champlist.

Found this YouTube video since the application did not have instructions.  http://youtu.be/NSu5OTrZVZU  I ran the application and chose both a similar iMac 8,1 (C2D 2.8GHz) and then tried Mac Pro 3,1 (Xeon 2.8GHz) which is its ID under Snow Leopard and Lion.  It is the first Intel Mac Pro.

The CPU was still incorrect at 4.3GHz, and listed as 19.82GHz in System Information.  Though it does show serial numbers and other ID information.  When I go to App Store, are the updates supposed to download without Apple ID like Safari update I did get a few days ago, or do I enter my real Apple ID?

My unaltered Extra folders.  Snow Leopard under Stellarolla/Lifehacker makes a smbios.plist but as you can see Mavericks under myHack does not make one.

311o1f9.jpg

You can tell Champlist to Set CPU speed in the SMBIOS. Of course, this will not change your real CPU speed. And for iLife, you do need an Apple ID. Other things like iTunes don't though...

You can tell Champlist to Set CPU speed in the SMBIOS. Of course, this will not change your real CPU speed. And for iLife, you do need an Apple ID. Other things like iTunes don't though...

---OK, I set the SMBIOS as in the picture in the Smbios panel, iMac listed is the closest to my hardware.  My computer shows up as: iMac 24-inch, Early 2008.  2.79Ghz C2D.  RAM & Video card show up correctly.  I did not touch the Config panel, this is what it reads from how myHack set my computer. I assume this is only for people who need to tweak their install, as well as the Kext Utility panel?

Still will not let me update the following updates: Keynote 6.2, Numbers 3.2, Pages 5.2, iMovie 10.0.3, and iPhoto 9.5.1.  It did let me update Safari 7.0.3, and Digital Camera RAW update.  I will try running Champlist again and see if it takes my Apple ID for the iLife updates.

ibgexe.jpg

In Config, check Ethernet Built In at the top left.

Perfect!  That fixed it, Mavericks works fine without it being in the configuration but App Store does not without the Ethernet check. 

I also figured out what had messed it up speed in About this Mac.  Near the top right corner of Champlist there is a little gear, it lets you choose HD, since I dual boot Mavericks & Snow Leopard it was sometimes pointing towards SL.  So it was not only not changing the ID on the wrong HD, it was messing up the Extra folder for my Snow Leopard installation.  I wanted to mention this in case some else is also dual-booting and all of a sudden has the other OS not working.

Thanks dcal777.

• Like 1