OS X Mavericks in VirtualBox

70 posts in this topic

Hi again

i've create a new VM MAvericks from scratch, using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a usb key. i've used after installation [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the VM is running in 1600*900 very weel, except

- no network : i've use same parameters than my Snow Leopard and my Mountain Lion VM, NAT, but no material is detected Under Maverick : how could fix it please ?

- no sound, even i ve use your AppleHDA.kext

thanks

hi, about this " SMBios.plist ", which one should I choose ? my system: MB - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R -CPU - QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 - Video - ASUS HD7770 - Memory - 4Gb  - OS - XP Pro x64.  thanks

Hi,

Your question doesn't make much sense!

We are talking about virtualized Hardware, so you can use iMac or MacPro. smbios.plist

Host computer Hardware is hidden to VM.

See ya

hi, so no everything work fine, except sound (the AppleHDA.kext coming from pippox0 didn't work) and of course the video card

i've clone my vdi into vmdk to use it in VMware Workstation 10. i've boot normally but i've a big problem:the mouse and the keybord didn't work !!! how could fix it please ? i ll try after to install VMware Tools to test if video is more accelerated Under VmWare

thanks a lot

i have the following system info, What went wrong ? 

also system stop at black & white screen with "System uptime in nanoseconds: xxxxxxx" when click on shutdown or restart.

note: using your AppleHDA.kext sound is working.
         i'm using OSX 10.9.1

thanks

=====================================================================
Hardware Overview:

Model Name:                   Mac
  Model Identifier:              EP45-UD3R
  Processor Speed:           2.67 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   1
  Memory:                          2 GB
  Boot ROM Version:         VirtualBox
  SMC Version (system):    2.3f35
  Serial Number (system):  0
  Hardware UUID:               00000000-0000-1000-8000-0800275F196C

Display:

Type:                    GPU
  Bus:                      PCI
  VRAM (Total):       3 MB
  Device ID:             0xbeef
  Revision ID:          0x0000
  Kernel Extension Info:  No Kext Loaded

Displays:
    Display:
      Resolution:    1024 x 768
      Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
      Main Display:    Yes
      Mirror:        Off
      Online:        Yes

Vendor ID:    0x80ee

Need help or suggestions here.

I followed steps to install the Mavericks successfully in the VBox 3.4.3. Great guide!

Today, I changed to a new PC (much more powerful than my old one), after installed the latest version of VBox 3.4.6, copied the vdi I created to the new computer, strange thing happened, the system cannot boot. The VM simply hanging after message "hfs: mount xxxxx on device root-device" ! In my old computer, after this message, system should boot to the GUI quickly.

I have tried every settings I know, but still no luck.

Does any one know where is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Btw, the new computer is running Win8.1, but I don't think this will affect the virtual guest OS or am I wrong?

check your new pc bios "VT-x" setting. try export vdi from old pc then import it to new pc.

Thanks, already checked. The Vt-X is on.

I also tried to install the older version as I used in my old PC, and copy all the confirguration to the new PC, the VB added the VM successfully but always stop working like I mentioned before.

On the other hand, use Win7 without problem.

Although it is hard to belive, but I now think it is a problem only happened under Win8.1. I don't know why, may be the VB doesn't support Win8.1 as well as it claimed.

Anyway, I will try VM Player next. To see if it works or not.

• 2 weeks later...

"Using Disk utility create a Disc Image OSXMavericks.dmg of 6Gb.

Using Disk utility restore Basesystem.dmg to OSXMavericks.dmg"

Can you put this in a way so that someone who has barely used MAC OS X can understand it? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Never mind, googled it.

Error:

hfs: mounted OS X Base System on device root_device

hfs: summary table not allowed on FS with block size of 2048

hfs: could not initialize summary table for OS X Base System

I've installed Linux onto ancient hardware. I've gotten versions of Mac OS X running on MACS that weren't supposed to be able to take the version. Mavericks OS X 10.9.1 is running flawlessly on my Hackintosh. But, VirtualBox 4.3.6 has me stumped under both Mac OS X 10.9.1 and Windows 8.1.

I've downloaded the HackBoot ISO (mavericks version) available in this thread. I have two different Mavericks install DVDs that I've created in two different ways. I've even downloaded a Mavericks image from Baidu that supposedly worked with HackBoot and VirtualBox (see earlier post). Earlier I got 10.8 running successfully under VirtualBox 4.3.6 using a different HackBoot ISO.

I run into the above error on both the Mac and the Windows side and with my own Mavericks install image and one d/l from Baidu which  leads me to conclude it's a problem with my configuration of VirtualBox and/or my BIOS (it happens in both HackOS X 10.9.1 and Windows 8.1) and/or VirtualBox.

Re-reading the thread a few messages ago, I wonder if it has something to do with the newest version of VirtualBox? (I doubt it's Windows since my problem occurs on both Windows 8.1 and Hack OS X 10.9.1).

-v and -x do nothing and both hang at the same place. I've tried VT-x enabled and disabled in the Gigabyte's BIOS (enabled seems to prevent my Hackintosh from booting since two VirtualBox softwares show up as halting the boot process... haven't tried booting into the Hackintosh since).

Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H mobo (1150 socket), i5 4570S Haswell CPU, 8 GB RAM

VirtualBox: 4.3.6 with the extension pack installed.

What to do?

Minor update:

I'm experimenting with settings. Changing the motherboard chipset to PIIX3 from ICH9 seems to have added two additional lines after the error reported in the previous post before it hangs. Plus, when you hover over the PIIX3/ICH9 selector you see a warning that the ICH9 implementation is experimental and only recommended for OSes that require it (like OS X). I'm starting to wonder if VirtualBox 4.3.6 is the cause of the problem (unfortunately I don't see version 4.3.3 in the archives as a previous poster mentioned).

New Error:

USBF: 5.502 AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep

USBF: 5.507 AppleUSBOHCI::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep

Minor Update 2:

Version 4.3.2 gave the same error under Windows.

post-1281128-0-05728700-1389403437_thumb.png

post-1281128-0-80327500-1389403847_thumb.png

post-1281128-0-78725300-1389405132_thumb.png

Another update:

The hfs: error is a red herring. I'm now staring at the installer screen under VMWare Player 6 and I still saw the error reported during boot! Obviously something else is causing the installer and VirtualBox to disagree.

Installed VMware Player 6. It's booting the installer after I changed the CD/DVD to SATA and booted with -v -x. Now I am looking at the installer screen :).

FYI Used the Mavericks ISO Boot attached to this thread and the Mavericks ISO downloaded from a link listed earlier in this thread.

Update to the update:

Had to remove and recreate the HDD. The default is IDE and Disk Utility can't see it. SATA  works. Also, the mouse direction controls are reversed (weird--really weird and annoying).

So, after some more hair pulling I'm giving up on getting the app store working properly. But, I have successfully got Mavericks working, and, at the moment (12/Jan/2014) the problem lies with VirtualBox 4.3.6. VMWare Player works with Mavericks. And, now that I added the requisite kexts (see first post in this thread) and installed a boot loader care of Chameleon Wizard the machine boots on its own without help of the ISO.

I haven't tried to figure out what's going with the oddly reversed mouse (horizontal motion is normal but vertical motion is reversed) but using the ScreenSharing (i.e. VNC) in Mac OS X Sharing allows me to control the mouse properly. TeamViewer servers reject the attempt to connect with their servers. Not sure if that's related to the serial number that was the default (somesrnum or something like that) or whether it's because of the way the VM receives its IP address.

FYI The ISO disk is not visible to Mavericks when it's booted.

Hello, first time poster here!

I followed all the steps and and I was able to boot up and start the installation but at the end of the installation I am getting the first screen shot(mav) and wouldnt move on....

After rebooting and booting with efi turned on from the hard drive I am getting whats shown on the 2nd screen shot(mav2)...

Can anyone help me ?

My computer is a bit old.. Intel Q6600 Core2Quad with 8GB memory running virtualbox 4.3.6

Thanks!!

post-1286181-0-31892300-1389970631_thumb.jpg

post-1286181-0-75259000-1389970633_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello pippox0

I managed to install OS X Mavericks on VirtualBox 4.3.6.

My host system is Windows 8.1

I am stuck on post installation phase.

I removed EFI flag on VirtualBox and mounted hackbot_mav.iso and started from MavericksHD.

Unfortunatelly system boot stopped at "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport"

Here you can see

http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2430-262.html

You guys talk often about some flags and parameters and I don't know where to put them because I am a beginner here.

Can you help me with this one? I searched internet but nothing seemed to work.

GUIDE - How to install OS X Mavericks 10.9 on Virtualbox 4.30

4. Post Installation
--------------------
To be able to start Mavericks you have to use “Hackboot_Mav.iso”
remove Enable EFI flag from VB
Boot HacBoot_Mav on DVD emulation

- Choose OSXMavericks HD and press Enter
- Create user ....

Hello pippox0

I removed EFI flag on VirtualBox and mounted hackbot_mav.iso and started from MavericksHD.

Here you can see

You guys talk often about some flags and parameters and I don't know where to put them because I am a beginner here.

"remove Enable EFI flag from VB" means disable EFI in the virtual machines settings

Hello pippox0

Here you can see

How did you managed to install Mavericks?!?!?

I got the same error message as you  "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!"  during the install, so I cannot complete it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hp EliteBook 840 G1

Haswell i7 4600 (intel HD4400+Readeon)

Windows8.1-x64 + VirtualBox4.3.6

still NO OsX working in VirtualBox

Niresh Osx Mavericks .ISO fails at install boot on VBox4.3.6 with Win8.1 host

no matter which boot flag I choose.

Install boot always stops at the "bluetooth transport" error message (so the issue seems to be related to the graphical virtual hardware, being the next to be loaded at boot)

Seems on VB official forums talking about OsX support is taboo/forbidden.

Yesterday I ended up installing VmWare Workstation 10.0.1 (with a pirated serial) and a preconfigured mavericks-VM (from the PirateBay)

It's a VM with 150GB thin provisioned vmdk (actually less than 8GB space effectively used on host physical harddisk).

There was just to run a batch (I inspected) to automatically move the .iso of the mavericks vmware tools to the right directory and to modify a couple of RegKeys

Plus to use a HexEditor to edit a .dll because of a issue with wmware website (just have to add a "/" in the end of url used to check for updates)

I was able to flawlessly use iTunes/AppStore to upgrade to 10.9.1 and install free iWorkSuite ("legit", no hack to do this)

There are guides to create an iTunes account without credit card and this is needed to install the iWork suite update (just download&install the old iWork9 suite from softpedia and you'll get a free upgrade)

NB upgrade to OsX 10.9.1 needs reboot: if you just care of the vm display it seems to crash during reboot, but just trust the virtual hard disk blinking green led to realize indeed it's workring even if you just see a smashed screen in the vm

Finally I added vmware-tools and SVGA-II driver from opensource project.

Actually the VM takes only 15GB on my physical harddisk, but indeed its just 2x ~8GB (I made a snapshot of the pre-configured and running Mavericks vmdk before going further with the software installations and Apple's upgrades....I'll wait a couple of days to delete the old snapshot)

OsX Mavericks guest inside VmWare Workstation10 on Win8.1 host ADVANTAGES:

• procedure works and is easy  and fast
  • OsX-vm runs like a charm (fast)
  • no extra configuration/hack needed for hardware support (es. audio works by default)
  • Time it takes: 2 hours (plus the time to download the torrent)

VmWare Workstation DISADVANTAGES:(compared to VirtualBox4.3.x or VmWare ESXi5.5)

mostly due to little virtual hardware options compared to ESXi or VBox:

• limited virtual graphic card===> Apple's Apps (es. Maps) needing OpenGL support crash. Even you have to disable hardware acceleration within Flash player plugin for Safari (download the plugin with your Windows PC as far as mavericks-vm's Safari crashes on Adobe website.)
  • no usb passthrough
  • no multitouch/gestures support for modern touchpads

I don't like to overhead the Windows Host with so many hyper-visors (I use VMs to run Windows8.1 nested in Windows8.1 as My main Os just to be free to make messes and easily revert to a previous snapshot).....but seems VmWare Workstation and VBox can coexist. Even the virtual network interfaces of the hyper-visors are not messing around with my numerous tap network interfaces (without having to configure anything manually).

Seems nobody on the internet was able to install Mavericks on a VM in VBox with Win8.1 host.

IMHO

The matter is...considering how taboo it is to write about OsX support in the official VBox forums....I think VBox will hardly support OsX guest on Win8.1 hosts....

• Like 1