10.9 Mavericks on Dell Precision M6400 (work in progerss)

m6400 dell precision myhack

Best Answer djouija, 18 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

As a man of my word, I am back to post my method to running Mavericks 10.9 on my Dell M6400.

All referenced materials are available as an attachment in this post.

I take no responsibility for any damages incurred while following this guide.  All files included worked flawlessly on my machine but may not necessarily work for yours.  

Note that with this configuration I have a fully functional 10.9 installation, including SpeedStep, Native Power Management, SLEEP w/Lid Support, Full QE/CI Acceleration, Ethernet, Sound w/Function Key support, SD Card Reader, Battery and Bluetooth Support!

Ensure you have Execute bit enabled in the BIOS and are in AHCI mode.  Note that my machine was running the most recent version of the M6400 BIOS available from DELL.  Also be aware that you will need to install a secondary wireless card into the M6400 which is OSX compatible as the stock one doesn't fit the bill.  The Broadcom BCM4321 Wireless N Mini PCIe is an excellent choice for native support out of the box, and eBay has plenty for less than $10.

1.  Download a copy of Mavericks 10.9 from the Apple store and install to USB key using _UniBeast from Tony Mac and select the "Enable Laptop Support" option.

2. [Optional]: If you need MBR support, apply the MBR Patch as outlined here: http://www.insanelym...icks-mbr-patch/  --  For my installation, I chose to go with using a GPT partition scheme (to keep things more vanilla :)) and this is realativly painless due to the M6400's dual drive bays!

After creating the installer, run this command in terminal replacing "installer volume name" by the name of your installer drive. If it contains spaces, surround the name by " or precede each space with \ (you can just drag and drop the drive to terminal when typing the command)
sudo tar zxvf ~/Downloads/Mavericks_GM_MBR_Patch.tar.gz -C /Volumes/"installer volume name"

If you download with Safari, it will automatically expand the gz, so the command should be
sudo tar xvf ~/Downloads/Mavericks_GM_MBR_Patch.tar -C /Volumes/"installer volume name"

3. Restart and boot into the installation USB and press tab to view the command line, and enter npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No -v into the command line.  The installation should boot.  Note that it may take some time to get to the installation window, be patient :)  Once it does, open Disk Utility, create your partition, exit Disk Utility, and Install away!

4. Once installation completes, reboot the machine and boot from the USB installer key again, but select your new Mac OSX Installation this time, and boot using GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v and you should be able to boot into OSX and setup your account. 

5. Now download and install the latest Chameleon release from: http://www.insanelym...ameleon-22-svn/
and install it to you Mac OSX Installation partition.

UPDATE: iMessage Fix:  If you get activation error when trying to sign into iMessage, install the latest Chameleon 2.2svn from http://www.insanelym...ameleon-22-svn/ and click on the "Customize" button on the 'Installation Type' screen when installing, and select the 'File_NVRAM' option under the 'Modules' section, then complete the installation and reboot.  iMessages should be working!  :)

x0PFzVc.png

6. Download the attached "DELL_M6400_MAVERICKS.ZIP" file, extract the archive and copy/move the contents of the /Extensions folder from the attached to /System/Library/Extensions on your OSX Installation partition.

Note: If you are NOT using my attached DSDT and do NOT wish to use one, you need to install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to /S/L/E and remove AppleLPCInjector.kext or you will get [no HPETs available] kernel panic.  If you are using your OWN DSDT, ensure you have applied the  proper LPCB and HPET dsdt injections (eventually to be included in this post below).

8. Copy/Move the contents of the /Extra folder from the attached "DELL_M6400_MAVERICKS.ZIP" file to /Extra on your OSX Installation partition.

9. Install the Rehabman VoodooPS2Daemon; See bottom of https://github.com/R.../How-to-Install  Note you can disable the trackpad on demand (after completing the remaining steps of this installation and rebooting) by double clicking in the top left corner of the trackpad to turn it on and off.

10. Download and install the "DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg.zip" package from http://www.osx86.net...-410-bluetooth/

11. Download and run Kext Utility: http://www.osx86.net...-speed-edition/ and ignore Mavericks warning about kexts being from unidentified developers.

12. Follow the guide at http://www.gizmolabs.../Main/OSXSetMac to automatically set or define your Ethernet cards MAC address on boot to fix issue/bug with Ethernet card getting 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address consistantly if no ethernet is connected upon boot. Note that you will need to replace "00:11:22:33:44:55" with your ethernet card MAC address.
(If you don't know your ethernet MAC address, just ensure the cable is plugged in and connected when you restart your computer and perform these steps later once you get it from System Preferences).

13. [OPTIONAL] Install NVIDIA CUDA for OSX here: http://www.nvidia.co....25-driver.html

14.  Restart your machine and enjoy!

I will update this post later with more information on where the extensions used were obtained and what patches were applied to my included DSDT file so that you can do the same to your own generated DSDT if you prefer.  I just wanted to share this as quickly as I could for now so that others may bask in the wonder of Mavericks on x86.  Hopefully the device IDs used in my DSDT are similar across all M6400 models. 

So far it's been a really stable setup :)  I will post any revisions and updates in the near future.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:multimedia interaction design.

Hi there!

Glad to see the old school of this topic coming back to contribute! I look forward to see djouija updated guide.

In the meanwhile I'll report my EC progresses:

• I've finally fixed every USB issue using a custom injector based on this dell latitude thread then revised by me with my machine' specs and the usb fix topic knowledge. Now every usb port including the internal BT one (through bcc9's DellBluethootHCI driver) is working properly from startup. I attach the kext below;
  • my external PCI USB 3.0 card works with GenericUSBXHCI driver by Rehabman, but I cannot see its entries in EC's system profiler and I have to plug in the device a couple of times to be able to use it;
  • it still seems I'm not able to load kexts from E/E and still can't boot with -f, getting KP with "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\" (...) /IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1665 (...)" message;
  • updated enoch to r2795 with the released installer;
  • still have to patch updated appleHDA;
  • shut down and reboot are quicker than in Yosemite;
  • sleep's ok, but as seen before the ethernet card would not work anymore after wake and until system restart. I noticed than that sleep broke something at the bios since when I reboot after a sleep&wake it takes around 5 mins to be able to pass the initial-dell-logo-and-blue-progress-bar-screen.
Stay tuned for further development. 

Attached Files

chippinganimal

chippinganimal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey guys, new to the whole hackintosh thing. Been lurking around for a while but decided tomato an account yesterday. I downloaded EC and made a USB thumb drive with ##### on my old mac mini, everything went successful, until i boot off of it and I get this kernel panic shown in the attached pic below. Now it seems that you guys solved it by putting files into system/library/extensions but i don't have any version of mac os x installed previously, as I am coming from Windows 10 and i can't find that directory on the usb drive in either the "usb" or "EFI"partition. And according to the error code it spit out it seems to e the generics error. Have any of you guys run into this? Any ideas/fixes and solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Attached Files

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

@chippinganimal

Hi and welcome here!

First of all I'll encourage you to write your hardware specs on your signature since it would help you getting the right advices.

Assuming you're trying to setup EC on a Dell Precision M6400 with my same specs, I would like to suggest you to discard any b-east install method since AFAIK it is supposed to install on a very wide range of stuff and maybe some custom component could break the installation for some reason.

I think I'm the only one here still adopting chameleon/enoch bootloader, anyway if you would like to use Clover I'll recommend you to follow this guide and then fix it with quamiensuongtrang attached files on post #57.

I think you may also adopt my usb_injector kext to fix internal usb2 ports instead of "dummy" kexts. You'll find S/L/E on your USB drive's root folder from your dear old mac mini.

Anyway there's an enoch version too in case you'll prefer it.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hi everybody!

I would like just to let you know that I've successfully updated my M6400 to 10.11.5

I had to patch AGPM indeed and then finally patched the last appleHDA with the same specs as the one provided by madmatt for Yosemite posts ago, actually from a Latitude E6400 installation mounting the same card.

The patch was easily done with this great app and this guide. I'll try to understand if something's still adjustable, but right now every audio i/o is working pretty fine.

The system is running overall very well.

fegato

fegato

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

that's good!

as I've been out of the hackintosh practice for a while I think I'll wait for the input from djouija before join you in this journey

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

I've upgraded my main laptop to an M6600, but I still have my old M6400 kicking around. Since my old 2007 iMac will soon be obsolete, I was thinking about trying to convert the M6400 into a Hackintosh. Last time I tried I ran into two main obstacles. I could never find a kext that would work with my ATI/AMD FirePro M7740, and the WiFi would only work with open access points. Bluetooth was also problematic, but I didn't really care about BT. Are these issues still present with Clover and El Capitan? I still have my old Quadro 2700M I can install if necessary, but that's a real pain.

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Thanks to @quamiensuongtrang, I've made substantial progress. I installed El Capitan and made it to the desktop, but still face a number of issues.

Right now, my only networking is via Bluetooth to my iPhone. Not ideal. I have native resolution, but as in the past, can't get acceleration out of my FirePro M7740 (aka Mobility

Radeon 4860) and it only shows 8MB of available VRAM. I also have no audio, though I followed @quamiensuongtrang 's advice as closely as I could. I can get audio with USB if 

I have to, though.

Oh, and I'm still only able to boot from USB. I take it I need to install Clover to the HD, but I'm not sure where to download it. Once I do, can I just copy the /EFI folder from the USB

stick to my SSD?

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Thanks to @quamiensuongtrang, I've made substantial progress. I installed El Capitan and made it to the desktop, but still face a number of issues.

Right now, my only networking is via Bluetooth to my iPhone. Not ideal. I have native resolution, but as in the past, can't get acceleration out of my FirePro M7740 (aka Mobility

Radeon 4860) and it only shows 8MB of available VRAM. I also have no audio, though I followed @quamiensuongtrang 's advice as closely as I could. I can get audio with USB if 

I have to, though.

Oh, and I'm still only able to boot from USB. I take it I need to install Clover to the HD, but I'm not sure where to download it. Once I do, can I just copy the /EFI folder from the USB

stick to my SSD?

Hi and welcome back!

You're in VESA mode.

If you try again to activate you graphic card with this procedure, getting black screen again (with flicker framebuffer), I would suggest you to plug an external display and see if it works. In this case maybe it's just a matter of lvds fix that should be solved in some way (newer apple stuff doesn't use lvds so it lacks support in most cases). I remember the same stuff happened to my inspiron 1545 ATI Mobile card.

For appleHDA try to follow post #38 instructions. You have to patch DSDT and the kext's old but it should work right now.

Anyway I still prefer not to use clover, so I can't say nothing about it, sorry.

Keep us informed and good luck!

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

So I've made some progress. I tried an external monitor with Flicker, Gliff, Shrike, etc., but had no luck. So I went ahead and swapped in my old Quadro 2700M. It was recognized immediately, and I've had no further trouble with video.

Audio is a different story though. At various times I've had VoodooHDA working, but with a lot of distortion. I tried the AppleHDA kext in post #38, but the DSDT I downloaded from quamiensuongtrang is significantly different from the one in the posting. So I went ahead and hooked up a Soundblaster USB X-Fi 5.1 I had lying around. It too was distorted, until I went into Audio MIDI Setup and changed the sample rate to 96khz. Audio sounds great now, but I have a big problem with video sync. Youtube videos play likely badly dubbed foreign movies.

I also have not had much luck booting from hard drive. I tried to use a "beastly" method to install Clover. It worked for a while, but I ran into problems with various devices not working. For now, I'm booting off USB.

UPDATE: I've made more progress. I can now boot directly off my SSD and I have sound via VoodooHDA. Still having weird problems; I have to manually load the ethernet driver after sleep and since booting off the SSD I now only have two USB ports functioning. Audio is still glitchy; system sounds have significant distortion, and video/audio sync is a problem. Fortunately the HTML5 video player in Firefox works properly, but Safari plays videos like a poorly dubbed movie. Any suggestions for a video player besides VLC?

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

I now have things mostly working, but I've had to return to booting off USB. I'm having some weird time sync problems. Audio/video sync is still off badly in Safari (Firefox is OK) and there's a lot of "drift" in the system time. The time will drift off about 8 minutes over an hour, then suddenly adjust to the correct time (probably syncing with an NTP server.) It had been working fine under Windows, and I've had some odd timing problems in the past under OS X. Anyone see anything similar on their M6400?

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

I wanted to make one more post in case it might help others trying to get this laptop working. I finally figured out how to properly install Clover without the beastly option. Numerous problems with USB were solved by switching the system ID in Clover's config.plist to MacBookPro3,1. I had to repeatedly install various versions of VoodooHDA and patched AppleHDA's to get onboard sound working. Even then sound was garbled, so I had to go to Audio MIDI Settings and set the output sample rate to 192KHz. No WiFi still, but I have a WiFi minicard on order from Amazon to fix that. In the meantime, Bluetooth and Ethernet are meeting my networking needs. My time is still out of sync, but I'll set up a crontab job to sync ntp to fix that.

Now I have a fake Mac that can blow my old iMac out of the water...

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 10.00.48 PM.png   72.54KB   4 downloads

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hey there! 10.11.6 is out and guess what?

I've just updated via app store and applied AGPM & appleHDA dear old patches. It seems that everything's ok right now.

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I'm using VoodooHDA, so hopefully I won't need to worry about audio. However, I'm concerned about "AGPM." What is it, and how would I patch it?

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I'm using VoodooHDA, so hopefully I won't need to worry about audio. However, I'm concerned about "AGPM." What is it, and how would I patch it?

Yeah, I'm sorry for the confusion generated. It's AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext, actually taking care of our laptop cooling AFAIK.

I have to patch it after every OS update as described here by madmatt to be able to get proper cooling under various cpu/gpu loads along with proper DSDT patch.

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Well 10.11.6 was a disaster for me. The patch installed OK, but when I rebooted I had no audio. (Turns out I *was* using AppleHDA.) So I tried patching AppleHDA by changing the LayoutID to 12, but that still didn't work. So I fired up Clover Configurator and tried the "FixHDA" option. The result was an unbootable system.

So I tried to open my config.plist with Clover Configurator, and unchecked "FixHDA" and saved config.plist - but the bloody thing still wouldn't boot. Of course I didn't back up the config file before I did it, so I'm stuck booting off USB. I'll have to rebuild the config file from scratch by reinstalling Clover and getting a default config. Any M6400 users out there with a working config.plist?

As far as I can tell, it looks like my GPU is running full tilt all the time. So far it hasn't caused any issues, and I'm on AC power 99% of the time anyway...

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Well 10.11.6 was a disaster for me. The patch installed OK, but when I rebooted I had no audio. (Turns out I *was* using AppleHDA.) So I tried patching AppleHDA by changing the LayoutID to 12, but that still didn't work. So I fired up Clover Configurator and tried the "FixHDA" option. The result was an unbootable system.

So I tried to open my config.plist with Clover Configurator, and unchecked "FixHDA" and saved config.plist - but the bloody thing still wouldn't boot. Of course I didn't back up the config file before I did it, so I'm stuck booting off USB. I'll have to rebuild the config file from scratch by reinstalling Clover and getting a default config. Any M6400 users out there with a working config.plist?

As far as I can tell, it looks like my GPU is running full tilt all the time. So far it hasn't caused any issues, and I'm on AC power 99% of the time anyway...

I'm really sorry I cannot help you since I'm actually booting with enoch.

Have you tried to restore the original AGPM too?

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Well I'm back in business. I rebuilt the config.plist from scratch, and got it working by comparing it to my USB Clover options, and with some trial and error. Guess it's time to back that puppy up. Oh, and the changes I made to config.plist apparently got AppleHDA working again.

I'm glad I don't have to depend on this thing for getting work done. It's strictly a hobby project, aside from a little resume editing.

imrazor

imrazor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Any other Quadro 3700M owners having graphical glitches? I'm trying to figure out if I have defective hardware or it's just the sort of bugginess one has to accept with a Hackintosh. In OS X, I'll have games or videos crash once or twice a day, or even have graphical distortions on the desktop. A reboot will generally fix all issues. I dual boot with Win10, and have had a very few graphical crashes/glitches with Windows. Is it possible I got a dud Quadro?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: m6400, dell, precision, myhack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy