Laptop reboots after root device uuid is .......

jhorie

50 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to install OS X 10.8.5 on my notebook

Specs:

I have a BTO 17CL58-GTX765 i7 quad

i7 4700mq

8gig ram

nvidia gtx765m

I have got a usb 2.0 with OS X 10.8.5 and also clover 2.10 on it.

The usb is also in a usb 2.0 port, so no 3.0 issues.

Clover starts up and is working perfectly.

After I press boot mac os x from mac os x install usb. 

This appears:

post-1139309-0-14928700-1380812828_thumb.png

After that my notebook just reboots.

Does someone has any idea whats wrong?

Thank you very much.

I deleted all nvda and ati related kexts from system/library/extensions

And I have tried those options. Nothing works...

Have I missed some kexts??

Does someone has another idea???

Is my notebook compatible? 

chek if you have installed in S/LE FakeSMC.kext and delete all theses kexts, and boot with -f -v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No

if not work post a photo where this stop

Delete all graphics kexts (+ plugin and bundles) :

AMD

- AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext

- AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle

- AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

INTEL

- AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext

- AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle

- AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

- AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

ATI

- ATI2400Controller.kext

- ATI2600Controller.kext

- ATI3800Controller.kext

- ATI4600Controller.kext

- ATI4800Controller.kext

- ATI5000Controller.kext

- ATI6000Controller.kext

- ATIFramebuffer.kext

- ATIRadeonX2000.kext

- ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin

- ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

- ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

- ATISupport.kext

Nvidia

- GeForce.kext

- GeForceGA.plugin

- GeForceGLDriver.bundle

- GeForceVADriver.bundle

- NVDAGF100Hal.kext

- NVDAGK100Hal.kext

- NVDANV50Hal.kext

- NVDAResman.kext

- NVSMU.kext

I'm having exactly the same problem as jhorie described in his first post.

After removing the kexts mentioned in post #4 and placing fakesmc.kext in S/L/E it goes a little further.

It says:

Loading drivers.....(lots of dots) and then finishes with a few +++++++++++++++.

Then it reboots again.

(some information that might help:

- my laptop has a new haswell CPU,

- i'm using a seperate USB stick with the Clover bootloader only (build using BootDiskUtility)

- the USB stick sporting the Mountain Lion install is USB3)

Anyone got a clue about what's causing this?

use the USBInstaller plugged  in a port USB 2.0,  3.0 not work to install, try ML 10.85  and this

delete all graphics kexts from your USBInstaller, then use this flag: -f -v  cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 or 3000

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response.

My laptop does not come with any USB2.0 ports. BIOS only has two options regarding USB (Legacy USB Support, which is set to enabled and XHCI Pre-Boot Mode, which is set to Disabled).

Changing these does not seem to affect anything.

Also the flag you provided does not work. Still the same "error". Could placing a kext for USB3.0 in S/L/E work?

Or is my only option to burn a DVD/restore to HDD partition? The installation I'm trying to use is already updated to 10.8.5.

Those changes also seem to have no effect.

Interestingly though, when I removed the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi driver it does pretty much the same, except after finishing loading drivers it didn't reboot but it said:

"Error exiting boot services, sleep 10 seconds before exit". And then it freezes.

Maybe the problem could be related to that driver?

Still nothing man.

Removed the kexts and entered all the SMBIOS data I could find from the ioreg file (and some missing ones from internet):

<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MBA61.88Z.0099.B00.1305241529</string>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>05/24/2013</string>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookAir6,1</string>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>MacBookAir</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>C17KTAM5F5N7</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF</string>
		<key>BoardVersion</key>
		<string>MacBookAir6,1</string>

The data is obviously read correctly by Clover.

Small note: this data is placed in config.plist inside EFI/CLOVER/

EDIT: I have been messing around a lot, but still no success. I also tried different bootloaders, like Chameleon and Chimera. They both do the same as when using Clover; restarting after loading drivers.

Although, before resetting it shows this line:

"failed to find boot signature on bios device 81h"

Could it be related to the problem?

I also googled a lot, and there are more people out there that are experiencing this problem. None have seem to found a definate solution though.

Edited by Unstoppable

Small bump & another update.

It would seem slayer2333 is right. Trying another kernel got me a little bit further, but I immediately got a kernel panic.

That's not weird considering the fact I was using the Mavericks this time with a 10.8.4 kernel.

(This one: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/40-10-8-4-haswell-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/)

I will now try to use this kernel with 10.8.4 and report back.

UPDATE:

Good news. I can confirm the problem is kernel related. I now managed to boot succesfully into the OSX Installer.

I used an USB3 HDD with the latest Chameleon and 10.8.4 installer (using the custom kernel provided above).

Steps:

- In BIOS I had to make sure XHCI Pre-boot Mode was disabled and Legacy USB was enabled.

- Using a smbios.plist with MacBookAir6,1 as provided by iFIRE.

- Using the following kernel flags: -v npci=0x3000 busratio=24 slide=0 cpus=1

- Placing the following kexts in /E/E:

- FakeSMC.kext

- GenericUSBXHCI.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

I will also try to make it work using Clover for UEFI.

But why doesn't it work on 10.8.5 and 10.9? Shouldn't they have native support for Haswell?

UPDATE 2:

I was able to use Clover to boot into the DVD, but for some reason the installer language was Russian, so I rolled back to Chameleon.

ML 10.8.4 is succesfully installed by now using the custom kernel! Now to work out the 'kinks'...

• Like 1

Good news. I can confirm the problem is kernel related. I now managed to boot succesfully into the OSX Installer.

I used an USB3 HDD with the latest Chameleon and 10.8.4 installer (using the custom kernel provided above).

Steps:

- In BIOS I had to make sure XHCI Pre-boot Mode was disabled and Legacy USB was enabled.

- Using a smbios.plist with MacBookAir6,1 as provided by iFIRE.

- Using the following kernel flags: -v npci=0x3000 busratio=24 slide=0 cpus=1

- Placing the following kexts in /E/E:

- FakeSMC.kext

- GenericUSBXHCI.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

I will also try to make it work using Clover for UEFI.

I'm happy to see you having success with this. And I think ppl will highly appreciate if you post your hardware details (notebook model, etc).

Is there any progress with UEFI Clover btw? After altering some config files based on your post I can see something like this as output:

"This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform" and laptop just shuts down in 10 seconds. W/o your instructions it rebooted as yours did initially.

My laptop is Asus N550Jv (i7-4700HQ, HD4600, USB 3.0 only), Clover + ML 10.8.4 bootable USB is made with BootDiskUtility. I'm trying UEFI boot. Also I've put patched kernel (mac_kernel) in the same directory as original mach_kernel and use "Kernel=mac_kernel" option - am I doing it right?

BTW additional kexts are in clover\kexts\10.8 (and clover\kexts\other).

UPDATE 2:

I was able to use Clover to boot into the DVD, but for some reason the installer language was Russian, so I rolled back to Chameleon.

You should check if Language key of Clover config.plist is set to en

<key>Language</key>
<string>en:0</string>
It can be the reason, just take a look at this (google-translated quote from Clover's manual):
At this point it makes sense to set the language for the menu "Help" caused by pressing F1. However, this value is passed to the system and can affect the default language.

I'm happy to see you having success with this. And I think ppl will highly appreciate if you post your hardware details (notebook model, etc).

Is there any progress with UEFI Clover btw? After altering some config files based on your post I can see something like this as output:

"This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform" and laptop just shuts down in 10 seconds. W/o your instructions it rebooted as yours did initially.

My laptop is Asus N550Jv (i7-4700HQ, HD4600, USB 3.0 only), Clover + ML 10.8.4 bootable USB is made with BootDiskUtility. I'm trying UEFI boot. Also I've put patched kernel (mac_kernel) in the same directory as original mach_kernel and use "Kernel=mac_kernel" option - am I doing it right?

BTW additional kexts are in clover\kexts\10.8 (and clover\kexts\other).

Well, you have exactly the same laptop as me xD But I will add my specs to my signature.

I managed to boot succesfully with Clover also. This was accomplished by moving the kexts from /E/E to /S/L/E and removing the kernel cache (forcing it to rebuild), and adding the SMBios.plist data to config.plist from Clover.

The kernel should be located at the root of your installation/OS drive. If you rename it to mach_kernel, it should automatically be detected and loaded without adding anything in the config files.

I had the "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform" as well. To fix this, I rolled back to a SMBios for MacBookAir5,1 and removed the 'cpus=1' flag.

Finally, after succesfully installing everything I couldn't boot again. This was because it didn't copy the required kexts and kernel. So I booted back into the installer, and used the terminal there to copy the extensions and kernel from the installation drive to the OS drive. And I also removed the kernel cache again.

To boot into your freshly installed OSX, use the bootloader from the installation drive. After you have booted into OSX succesfully, you can install a bootloader from there.

There is probably a way to prevent having to copy everything to the OS drive after installing, but I am fairly new to Clover so I'm not sure how.

You should check if Language key of Clover config.plist is set to en

<key>Language</key>
<string>en:0</string>
It can be the reason, just take a look at this (google-translated quote from Clover's manual):

Yeah I noticed that yesterday actually in my config.plist. Well, at least I know now :P

Last but not least, I'm currently making progress installing OSX 10.8.5 (and potentially 10.9 :D). If I actually manage to boot into that, I will post it here.

I patched my own kernel for Haswell support (XNU open-source), but it is outdated for 10.8.5 and 10.9. So I will have to do some kext rollbacks to actually boot xD

• Like 1

Well, you have exactly the same laptop as me xD But I will add my specs to my signature.

I managed to boot succesfully with Clover also. This was accomplished by moving the kexts from /E/E to /S/L/E and removing the kernel cache (forcing it to rebuild), and adding the SMBios.plist data to config.plist from Clover.

I had the "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform" as well. To fix this, I rolled back to a SMBios for MacBookAir5,1 and removed the 'cpus=1' flag.

Great news!

I will try your solution asap.

Regarding your problem with "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform": there's no need to use Air5,1 smbios details. The newest Clover will have new Airs' and iMacs' data. But now in order to boot you can just add Air details to /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist (ProductName and Board-ID only).