Any DSDT or kext beginners guide for Mountain Lion?

moreorless

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I just installed Mountain Lion (10.8.4) on my laptop, by following the steps from the beginners guide found in the tutorials subforum.

However, that guide doesn't explain how to proceed with DSDT or kexts... it just mentions you use that for fixing incompatibilities, and tells you how to extract your DSDT from BIOS, but that's all, there're no more directions to follow from there.

There're some things that don't work in my laptop:

-Bluetooth

-Audio

-Ethernet

-WiFi (I can live without it if Ethernet works)

-When I deleted the NULLCPUPowerManagement, it boots fine, and works fine, but it hangs when you try to reboot or shutdown. Do I need a patched kext for this? From where? Or should I revert to the NULLCPUPowerManagement kext?

Do you know of any guide which would help me to have all that stuff working? Please help, I've no idea on how to proceed...

Should be on this site somewhere. Look in components, hardware and similar sections/subsections.

Check here as well: http://olarila.web337.kinghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1716&start=0

Ideally, you want to get proper power-mangement meaning you wouldn't need NullCPU.

Thanks a lot for your help, TheEnthusiast. I hope that Olarila forum will guide me, because, honestly, I searched on the InsanelyMac forum and didn't find any helpful post-install guide for 10.8.4. I just see a ton of unrelated tools and procedures, which I don't know if I have to apply or not, nor how. 

Those Olarila steps seem relatively clear. Maybe I'll join that forum too.

Edited by Micky1979
NO Tonymac tool, read the Rules, please

How did you install? What laptop do you have?

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 6935G. I followed the Mountain Lion vanilla guide for beginners, from the tutorials subforum. Everything went fine (I even managed to keep a Windows partition and get a multiboot installation), but now I'm really lost at the post-install, because I cannot find docs to follow. To begin with, I don't know if I've to install kexts for all the devices listed in the System Info window, or if such list includes both working and non-working stuff. Second, just as an example, my audio device is Intel HD Audio (device ID 293e). Searching by id# at the kext repository, there're a lot of kexts for Mountain Lion. I suppose I've to use the VoodooHDA, but no idea about the version number, and also I see there're manual edits to perform... lots of undocumented stuff which I don't know where to learn from.

Just do one thing at a time. A hackintosh won't be fully up and running in an hour until you've experimented. I had the same issues you did and now I can get my hackintosh up and running in about 40 minutes including the install time. So we should progress in increments. First, have you extracted and/or patched your DSDT? After this we can talk power management.

• 3 weeks later...