• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

stefano.85

stefano.85

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I don't know if it's AGPM at play. I tried to enable it for the 670 but just as the desktop should load my monitor shuts off and all disk activity stops.

Obviously I have no idea what's going on with no screen but it's annoying that my card stays locked at 1GHz clock speed because I can't get Kepler power management working.

here on 10.9 dp's, according to HWsensors, my gtx 660ti it stays always in "3D mode" frequency of 914 mhz, in 10.8 when in idle it goes down to 324 mhz... with the same configuration (same dsdt, same macpro 3,1 smbios)...

i've tell the problem to kozlek but he said that it's probably a system configuration problem.... (anyway i'm not sure of this....)

apologize for english :)

Attached File  Schermata 2013-08-08 alle 13.09.17.png   98.69KB   8 downloads

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Can you post your AGPM edit stefano? My 670 doesn't clock back down to 324MHz in 10.8 either. If I could get it working in 10.8 I'd be happy.

The few guides I've seen for Kepler PM use newer SMBIOS like iMac12 etc. But when I used iMac9 way back I had issues with digital audio output always going to sleep because of overly-aggressive power management. So I've stuck with MacPro ever since.

stefano.85

stefano.85

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

when using macpro3,1 the os doesn't use agpm.kext (in fact mine is the vanilla one) .... after 10.8.3 kepler's gfx throthling is supported OOTB with this smbios, but don't in 10.9.x.

cheers

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

OK, I think I've figured out what's happening here. I was using the Oceanwave OpenCL benchmark to stress the GPU when testing power management. And it wouldn't clock down past 1GHz afterwards.

So I tried some other tools. OpenGL Extensions Viewer pushed the card to 1GHz but it then clocked back down to 324MHz. Cuda-Z then pushed the card to 1.18GHz and it clocked back down too. Oceanwave and Luxmark both pushed the card to 1.18GHz but in both cases it stuck at 1GHz afterwards. So it's something related to OpenCL.

In 10.9 my card is already running at 1GHz when booted to desktop so perhaps there's more OpenCL at work in 10.9 and this is why power management isn't working?

shadowkhas

shadowkhas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Just want to chime in with my voice too, I've had graphics issues in all DP versions of 10.9 so far. My GTX 465 boots to desktop already at 1.05 V on the core, whereas in ML it'll idle at 0.875 V (I believe...it's somewhere around there).

Because of that, my temps are idling incredibly high. 60-70° C.

In addition, I also saw a drastic performance reduction in Luxmark, and it games. Minecraft stutters quite a bit in some complex scenes, where it will be very smooth when booted in to ML. No idea where a workaround could be, but I'm experiencing the issue as well.

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 132 posts

Happy to report that with DP6 Quick Look in Finder now works!!!!!  But the performance with Open CL still lags (1320 in ML and now 870 in Mav).

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Yep it's fixed here too.

AREOS

AREOS

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Yep it's fixed here too.

It's fixed for me too, but now I get nvda OpenGL exceptions using quick look or QuickTime for mp4 files the extrange thing is this doesn't freeze the whole system. The same thing happens to me using Nvidia web drivers for 10.8.3 and 10.8.4. This issue was related to the smbios profile if I use MacBook Pro 8,3. I'll try a different profile and test again.

Edit:

Confirmed, if I change the smbios profile to imac 12,1 the mp4 video works on quick look, preview and quicktime. It seems they change something to match the smbios profile in use, Macbook Pro 8,3 has HD3000 enabled, I think this changes tries to use the video decode in the HD 3000 but my laptop only have the Nvidia Card.

I keep the testing.

Good Luck

Edited by AREOS, 22 August 2013 - 07:31 PM.

tobiastimpe

tobiastimpe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I have a simular problem: Ever since upgrading from DP1 to DP6, Quicklook doesn't work, I get weird graphics errors, can't access Spotlight on my second screen and oh yeah, all my default toolbar icons are gone (in Finder, Xcode, etc.)

Running DP7 now on a GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 with a XFX AMD 6870 GPU, using CloverEFI and a MacMini 5,1 SMBIOS.

Anybody got a solution?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy