NForceATA Kext-Patched JaS 10.5.4 DVD Install of Leopard 10.5.4 on External SATA HDD on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO

verdant

17 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info, I tried the "easy" solution, get past the "still waiting for root device", but not the error is "unknown SIGSEGV code 0". I am not selecting a specific kernel, booting -v. Any ideas?Thanks

Thanks for the info, I tried the "easy" solution, get past the "still waiting for root device", but not the error is "unknown SIGSEGV code 0". I am not selecting a specific kernel, booting -v. Any ideas?Thanks
If you are using an AMD CPU you need to select AMD Patch.....suggest you select 9.4.0 StageXNU kernel.....what are your system details?

AMD 64 4000MSI Neo 2 PlatinumNforce 3 chipsetNvidia Geforce FX55002 gig DDR 400 RAMWD 160 gig SATA H/D x 2I am running XP Pro on one hard drive, and Kalyway 10.5.2 on the other. I didn't have any issues booting from the dvd in Kalyway (except choosing the correct drivers), but would like to see if I can run Zephyroth since so many people are very satisfied with it. If I need to boot using XNU kernel, do I choose this after the F8 prompt? Thanks for your quick reply.

AMD 64 4000MSI Neo 2 PlatinumNforce 3 chipsetNvidia Geforce FX55002 gig DDR 400 RAMWD 160 gig SATA H/D x 2I am running XP Pro on one hard drive, and Kalyway 10.5.2 on the other. I didn't have any issues booting from the dvd in Kalyway (except choosing the correct drivers), but would like to see if I can run Zephyroth since so many people are very satisfied with it. If I need to boot using XNU kernel, do I choose this after the F8 prompt? Thanks for your quick reply.
As I do not have a AMD CPU I have not used Zephyroth.......for iDeneb you would choose XNU in the Customize Menu of the Installer....

Thanks for the info. It appears that I'm "stuck" with the overdone version of Kalyway, at least I can run it on the other SATA drive. I have been thinking about migrating over to Intel but I have been a loyal AMD fan for years so that decision will take some time.

Forgot to add, after using Leopard for about two months (Kalyway) I like Open Suse much better. It's a faster and much more reliable platform than OSX. I'll probably just migrate back to that since it supports AMD OOB. Apple is going to lose their suit and pretty soon, they'll have to change their OS to accommodate all the CPU's and M/B's rather than just their proprietary hardware. We'll all see that very soon indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

All done on an eSATA Hard Drive connected via eSATA ......using a USB keyboard and mouse (NOT PS/2), Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 CPU, PATA DVDRW, Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MBgraphics card, Netgear GA311 Gigabit LAN PCI card (RealTek 8169S chipset) and Asus SupremeFX audio card (AD1988b audio codec).

NO WARRANTY IS IMPLIED OR GIVEN AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THESE STEPS WILL WORK FOR YOU AS THEY HAVE FOR ME.

THIS GUIDE IS ONLY for INTEL CPUs NOT AMD CPU SYSTEMS AND THE KERNEL AND THE SYSTEM INSTALL SELECTIONS USED IN THE GUIDE ARE FOR AN nFORCE CHIPSET MOBO. CERTAIN SELECTIONS WILL NEED TO BE DIFFERENT FOR AN AMD CPU AND/OR INTEL CHIPSET MOBO.

UPDATE: For further information on installing OS X on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs, check out my InsanelyMac Topic threads on Series 7 nForce chipsets and/or Pre-Series7 nForce chipsets, originally here and now here, depending on your nForce chipset....... :dev:

Also, for updating from 10.5.x (x=0,1,2,3,4) to 10.5.5, go to this Mysticus C* thread..... :graduated:

Part I - NForceATA Kext Boot-Patching of the JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD

I have discovered (and reported to Mysticus C* too) that the standard JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD WILL NOT BOOT on nForce chipset MOBO-based systems....this is because the DVD DOES NOT INCLUDE the MeDevil AppleNForceATA.kext in its "boot" Extensions.mkext even though it includes both the AppleNForceATA.kext and the AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST (also from MeDevil.... that should fix the "SAM MEDIA READ / WRITE' error when using SATA DVD drives) in the Install Packages on the DVD...... :rolleyes:

I used the JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 Install DVD with MD5 checksum: f7e82424d6efb474950b361db7840c91

"I have PM'd JaS to ask him to provide a nForce Chipset MOBO Boot-Patch in his awaited ppf....no reply yet"

Hence...unpatched DVD freezes on booting with -v or -v -f just after

ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device.....etc.

Earlier on the boot screen, there is

BSM auditing present

From path: "uuid"

Waiting for boot volume with UUID C48352B6-FD24-3616-9A87-0D761768442D

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOresources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

But Got boot device= ........etc. does not appear afterwards....

Booting the JaS DVD from an external USB 2.0 drive works.....it finds the boot device.....BUT the DVD Installer Disk Utility picks up no drives at all......LHS window in Disk Utility is blank.......and "Select a Destination" only sees the JaS DVD.....

Solutions:

Option A. Easy Option - Downloading and applying the Mysticus C* ppf NFORCE chipset patch to the standard JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD

hey guys, I made a ppf for Jas 10.5.4 to support nforce chipsets... currently, it looks like it doesnt support it... can anyone volunteer to test and help for feedback? bcoz i dont have nforce anymore to test it...

here is the link for anyone whoever interested in helping...

note that you may waste your dvd, so no complains :rolleyes:

cheers :rolleyes:

EDIT: it appears that ppf worked fine for haxi :rolleyes: it allows boot process to recognize nforce chipset :rolleyes: (install process already has nforce install option, but boot process does not, therefore nforce owners needs this patch to be able to boot and recognize their drives) ppf patch and ppf-o-matic for mac and windows is included... nforce drivers has 64 bit problem, therefore driver will cause trouble

Mysticus has kindly and helpfully provided all that is needed in his JaS ppf patch (.zip file) ....but as he says you need to be able to have access to Windows OS capable of running PPF-O-Matic 3.0 for Windows e.g. XP, Vista...as nForce chipset MOBOs have a file size and 64bit issue.....

In Windows, download or copy the unpatched Jas .iso image file and the Mysticus C* ppf patch .zip file to the Desktop.......extract the .zip file contents......run the Windows PPF-O-Matic .exe file.....

Step 1. Click on Floppy Disk icon to browse for "ISO File" to be patched....highlight it when located and click on "Open"

Step 2. Click on Floppy Disk icon to browse for "Patch" to be applied....highlight it when located and click on "Open"

Step 3. Click on "Apply"......when "Patch successfully applied,burn image to CD now!" pop-up window message appears, click on "OK" button in it...close down PPF-O-Matic application......burn patched .iso image file to DVD.....SLOWLY at ≤ x4 speed.....using for example ISO Recorder....

Step 4. Write on the DVD that it is the Mysticus C* PPF nForce Chipset MOBO Boot-Patched version of the JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD....proceed now to the installation stage..... :rolleyes:

Option B. My "Educational and FUN" Option - Injecting the AppleNForceATA.kext into the standard JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD

But ONLY if you have Transmac on Windows and another working OS X system......and a means of transferring files between Windows and OS X...

This method follows that of ObsidianX written for Tiger DVD kext injection in 2007....

Step 1. In Windows, download or copy the unpatched Jas .iso image to the Desktop....

Step 2. Right-Click on Transmac shortcut icon and choose "Run as adminstrator"....in Transmac Options ensure that "Show Hidden Files" option is active.....then in Transmac Window, click on File in Menu Bar and choose "Open Disk Image" and in Open Disk Image window, highlight the unpatched Jas .iso image file and click on "Open" button....

Step 3. In Transmac Window, in LHS column, click on ISO icon,....then on the HFS+ Volume folder icon....then on the System folder icon....then on the Library sub-folder icon....and in the RHS column there is an Extensions.mkext file at the bottom of the list of Folders/Files.....

Step 4. Click and drag this Extensions.mkext file to the Windows Desktop.....and copy it across to the OS X system via Transmac if you are dual booting OS X and Windows, or by USB memory stick or LAN transfer if you have Windows and OS X on different computers.....

Step 5. Assuming you have copied the Extensions.mkext to the OS X Desktop.....create a new directory called "JaS_Extensions".....then open Terminal, and type

cd

followed by a space, then click and drag the JaS_Extensions directory into Terminal, and press Enter.....[This changes the path from User directory to the "JaS_Extensions" directory]

Step 6. In Terminal, type

mkdir Extracted_Kexts

and press Enter.....[This makes or creates the new directory "Extracted_Kexts" inside the JaS_Extensions directory]....now type in Terminal

mkextunpack -a i386 -d

followed by a space, then click and drag the Extracted_Kexts directory into Terminal, and then click and drag the Extensions.mkext file from the Desktop into Terminal, and press Enter....

Explanation of commands:

mkextunpack Unpacks the specified mkext file

-a Specifies the architechture type, in our case, i386

-d Specifies the directory into which the files are to be extracted from the specified mkext file].....so usage is

mkextunpack -a i386 -d <specified path/directory into which the kext files are to be extracted from the specified mkext file> <specified path/mkext file from which the kext files are to be extracted>

Step 7. Now to inject the AppleNForceATA.kext into the Extensions.mkext....type in Terminal

mv

followed by a space, then click and drag the AppleNForceATA.kext from the Desktop into Terminal, and then click and drag the Extracted_Kexts directory into Terminal, and press Enter......then in Terminal type

sudo chown -R root:wheel

followed by space, then click and drag the Extracted_Kexts directory into Terminal, and press Enter......then type

sudo chmod -R 755

followed by space, then click and drag the Extracted_Kexts directory into Terminal, and press Enter.....then type

kextcache -a i386 -m

followed by space, then click and drag the the JaS_Extensions directory into Terminal and type after Jas_Extensions (without a space after Extensions), /New_mkext.kext followed by space, then click and drag the Extracted_Kexts directory into Terminal, and press Enter....

Explanation of commands:

mv Move file

sudo Runs the commands and arguments that follow as root (just once)

chown Change ownership of files and directories

-R Recursively change ownership (go into all subsequent directories and files and change those too)

root:wheel Sets the owner to root and the group to wheel which is what the kernel wants for its extensions

chmod Changes the access rights of files and directories

-R Just as for chown, makes changes recursively

755 Sets the access rights to be read/executed by all and writable by the owner (root); again, required by the kernel

kextcache Creates a kernel extension cache file

-a Like for mkextunpack this will select a particular architechture to put into the cache file

-m Create an .mkext file with the name as specified

Terminal Window will show:

xxxxxxx:~ <your username>$ cd /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions

xxxxxxx:JaS_Extensions <your username>$ mkdir Extracted_Kexts

xxxxxxx:JaS_Extensions <your username>$ mkextunpack -a i386 -d /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions/Extracted_Kexts /Users/<your username>/Desktop/Extensions.mkext

xxxxxxx:JaS_Extensions <your username>$ mv /Users/<your username>/Desktop/AppleNForceATA.kext /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions/Extracted_Kexts

xxxxxxx:JaS_Extensions <your username>$ sudo chown -R root:wheel /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions/Extracted_Kexts

Password:

xxxxxxx:JaS_Extensions <your username>$ sudo chmod -R 755 /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions/Extracted_Kexts

xxxxxxx:JaS_Extensions <your username>$ kextcache -a i386 -m /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions/New_mkext.mkext /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions/Extracted_Kexts

[Here you will see warning messages like

"warning: kernel extension /Users/<your username>/Desktop/JaS_Extensions/Extracted_Kexts/ACPIPS2Nub.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)"]

xxxxxxx:JaS_Extensions <your username>$

At this point, in the JaS_Extensions directory, there will be Extension.mkext, New_mkext.kext, and the Extracted_Kexts directory.

Step 8. Copy New_mkext.kext across to Windows Desktop and rename it to Extensions.mkext....then open Transmac again, and in LHS column, click on ISO icon,...then on the HFS+ Volume folder icon....then on the System folder icon....then on the Library sub-folder icon.....and then right-click in the RHS column and in the pop-up window that appears click on "Copy Here" and in the "Select Files and Folders to be Copied to Mac Volume" window, browse to Desktop to New_mkext.kext and then highlight New_mkext.kext, and click on "Copy"......a pop-up window "Confirm Mac File Replace" will appear, asking if the existing file should be replaced.....click on "Yes"and the original Extensions.mkext in the the RHS column will now be overwritten by the modified Extensions.mkext.....

Step 9. Burn the now modified .iso image file to DVD.... SLOWLY at ≤ x4 speed.....using for example ISO Recorder.....

Step 10. Write on the DVD that it is the nForce Chipset MOBO Boot-Patched version of the JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD...proceed now to the installation stage... :rolleyes:

Part II - Clean install of Leopard 10.5.4 via NForceATA Kext Boot-Patched JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD

1. Boot from the boot-patched JaS OSx86 10.5.4 DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) " -v

3. Partition HDD as MBR and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and give a unique name without spaces using Disk Utility within the JaS OSx86 10.5.4 DVD Installer.

4. Select the target OS X volume in Select a Destination window, click Continue and in Install Summary window, click Customize and the make these DVD Installer Customize Selections:

X11

Jas OsX86 10.5.4 Intel SSE2 SSE3 -
Client
(i.e. default selection)

Kernel Packages -
StageXNU

Chipsets Drivers -
NForceTest

Older Drivers -
None

Video Card Drivers -
None

Network Drivers -
None

Audio Drivers -
None

PlugIns -
AppleRTL8169Ethernet

Device Identification -
None

SMBIOS -
SMBIOS-MacPro

Cleanup
-
(i.e. default selection)

5. Double check "Customize" choices, click Done, then in Install Summary window, click "Install". When install begins, choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

6. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the HDD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the HDD and pressing Enter.

7. On the HDD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" if you want to use "Do You Already Own a Mac" window to transfer your information across via options listed, or if not, simply type "-v" (without quotes) and wait as verbose booting takes place successfully into the Welcome screen video sequence BUT without sound (as may be expected with no audio driver installed)......

8. Now to install a full CI &QE 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz video driver for the GeForce 8600GT graphics card.....since 10.5.4 is installed, download and run the latest version of the NVkush Installer Package (NVidia Graphics Enabler v4.20.2 which is a Natit Replacement Used for all 7x00 & 8x00 series GPU's) by Diabolik.......then reboot with -v......

The System Profiler shows under Graphics/Displays:

GeForce 8600 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

9. At this point JaS OSx86 10.5.4 runs fine with full CI &QE 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz video, Internet access, network file sharing, simple audio playback on iTunes Radio, USB device mounting/un-mounting, functioning Sleep mode..... :rolleyes:

UPDATE: To get switchable resolutions on-the-fly, try swapping the monitor DVI or VGA (via VGA-to-DVI adapter) connector to the other DVI port on the GFX card.....this tip, from cyclonefr, has worked for me.

In order to get full audio functions, run the Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer package.... :rolleyes: ....To download check out http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php.....[site currently defunct], or from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30545

which gives

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x104381F2

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Line Out:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

Microphone:

10. Reboot with -v -f with full Intel HDA function restored...... then modify the com.apple.Boot.plist file (see other OS X Installation Guides in my blog for the reasons why....) as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere)
maxmem=3072

between <string> and </string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>.

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl-O (i.e. ^O) and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press Ctrl-X (i.e. ^X) to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

11. Now go to System/Library/Extensions, and scan down the extensions list to check for:

AppleCPUThermo.kext

AppleThermal.kext

and any other any *Thermal* kexts, if present; these should be removed (by dragging to Trash) as they can cause CPU overheating under OS X......also remove the AFIK unnecessary AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

12. Finally, modify the "About This Mac" reporting of the CPU type to suit (see my earlier blog entry on how I do this)......then reboot with -v -f and Repair Permissions, which takes place with no ACL or SUIDS errors....so go enjoy the JaS OS X 10.5.4 Install..... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any solution for the Kalyway iso? I mean: can you also patch the Kalyway iso? It's because I only have the Kalyway iso, and it should take a long time to download the JaS iso...Thx!
Normally you should not need to patch the Kalyway 10.5.2 iso? PM me to explain your problem.....

• 3 weeks later...
any ideas if after install you hang and load forever at white apple screen with grey apple.
boot with -v

Above you mention getting a 8600 GT working. I'm having major issues getting mine to work with QE/CI, is the above how you did it? (I know you've posted on another post of mine asking for help already), as nothing I have tried so far has got it working (I have full Res changes and dual working ok)

Above you mention getting a 8600 GT working. I'm having major issues getting mine to work with QE/CI, is the above how you did it? (I know you've posted on another post of mine asking for help already), as nothing I have tried so far has got it working (I have full Res changes and dual working ok)
Yes, I have got it working with either NVkush, NVDarwin, NVinject or EFIStudio......you may be having problems because of the 512MB......mine is 256MB......suggest you try each but starting with no kext loaded and then reinstall the kexts using Leopard kext installer from here......follow up questions to this post in my nForce thread please....... :thumbsup_anim:

Well, seems I just couldnt get it to work on 10.5.4, but I've just installed 10.5.5 iAtkos, using EFI strings it works perfectly!!! no injector needed.Now i just need to sort these random crashes and strange high pitched beep through my optical cable.

• 6 months later...
Is there any solution for the Kalyway iso? I mean: can you also patch the Kalyway iso? It's because I only have the Kalyway iso, and it should take a long time to download the JaS iso...Thx!
Normally you should not need to patch the Kalyway 10.5.2 iso? PM me to explain your problem.....
I have AMD HP g60 laptop, CPU: RM704 gb ramnvidia chipset gforce 8200 MGvmware workstation: 6.5.2first: I tried JAS 10.4.8, It installs, But doesn't come up, freezessecond: Tried kalyway 10.5.2, not able to install.Please let me know which is the best for this laptopand how to get it working.thanks-etsharan

• 1 year later...