[SOLVED][No sleep] Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 + Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB OC

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

it's my second topic and this time I'd like to face the problem of sleep on my mobo.

Simply... it's not working. The issue is not that it doesn't wake up or freezes, it just doesn't go to sleep.

I've got 2 monitors connected:

1) to HD3000 - just debugging. I use this one just to boot up, change options in bios and so on.

2) to HD7850 - main monitor.

When I try getting him to sleep monitor 2) turns off but monitor 1) starts displaying white screen. As soon as I move mouse or click I get Lock screen and I can simply unlock Mac.

Some strange logs from console when I try 'sleeping' it:

5/9/13 4:47:12.345 PM WindowServer[70]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
5/9/13 4:47:12.360 PM WindowServer[70]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
5/9/13 4:47:12.362 PM WindowServer[70]: Created shield window 0x13 for display 0x003f003d
5/9/13 4:47:12.362 PM WindowServer[70]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
5/9/13 4:47:12.362 PM WindowServer[70]: Created shield window 0x14 for display 0x003f003e
5/9/13 4:47:12.362 PM WindowServer[70]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
5/9/13 4:47:12.362 PM WindowServer[70]: Created shield window 0x15 for display 0x003f003f

and after using command

pmset -g assertions

:

5/9/13 4:58:05 PM GMT+02
Assertion status system-wide:
PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
PreventSystemSleep			 0
PreventUserIdleSystemSleep	 0
ExternalMedia				 0
UserIsActive				 0
ApplePushServiceTask		 0
BackgroundTask				 1
Listed by owning process:
pid 299(helpd): [0x0000000c0000017f] 00:09:41 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding"
Kernel Assertions: 0x0004
* Kernel Assertion ID = 500
Created At = 5/9/13 4:46:32 PM GMT+02
Modified At = 1/1/70 1:00:00 AM GMT+01
Owner ID = 0xffffff8011836000
Level = 0
Assertions Set = None (4)
* Kernel Assertion ID = 501
Created At = 5/9/13 4:46:36 PM GMT+02
Modified At = 5/9/13 4:49:00 PM GMT+02
Owner ID = 0xffffff80118ec000
Level = 255
Assertions Set = None (4)

I've got working PM, system is OC to 4.8GHz using SSDT by RevoBoot script.

Disabled USB3.0. System definition: MacBookPro8.3

I'm using custom DSDT patched with olarila patch P8 Generic - using 3K patched [PMPatcher] asus bios.

Attached my DSDT.

Thanks in advance :)

DSDT_work.zip

Thanks for quick reply. I cannot use the patch you posted as I am using 3K bios for asus mobo which makes previous patches for P8XXX motherboards useless - they generate hundreds of errors instead of repairing dsdt(it was like that in my case).

Changing smbios is a sensitive subject to me as I spend last 2 weeks trying to get my PM being operative and I got at first KP while trying to use anything different than iMac12.2 but... iMac12.2 has the most similar spec but with that definition I have only 2 states x16 and x48. Anyway I'll try changing smbios files and I will post the results :)

EDIT: Just checked MacBookPro8.3 which I'm using and it seems to be Sandy Bridge and i7 CPU so it should be fine. But anyway I will try changing it.

I've tried iMac 12.2 - again - macmini5.1 and 5.3 and still no luck :<

Somehow offtopic question:

If I disable something on my mobo(e.g. Bluetooth or USB 3.0) should I extract DSDT again and patch it? Or it doesnt affect my dsdt?

EDIT: One more thing that may be important: my display 1) - connected to HD3000 is stuck at 1024x768 despite bootloader(chameleon 2210) is working with it using native resolution(1440x900). Dunno why it is this way but I didn't look for fix cause sleep is much more important to me and I want to solve that one first.

[uPDATE]

I finally forced Clover v2 to work. It was weird cause Clover couldn't boot with IGFX set as primary device unlike chameleon. After setting my primary as PCIE(HD7850) it worked. What's more I was able to boot! But... I get only white screen which is common issue for gpu from my family and the solution is to get hack to sleep and wake it up again.The first part works - surprisingly - but it doesn't wake.

Any ideas about new situation? :)

If you got some time, you can try hacking your 7850 vbios to make it support the uefi gop protocol and switch to uefi Clover - this will fix the white screen issue. However sleep mode in UEFI is a completely different world and it seems to be very prone to errors.

An alternative white screen workaround involves the fb-rotate tool which rotates the screen during startup.

You can get video output without hardware acceleration in safe mode (-x) by the way.

Thanks for reply.

I've forgotten to mention that I'm currently using UEFI Clover not the legacy one.

What do you mean by hacking vbios? Any additional info?

Thanks

Well actually quite a lot but it is good as in general I am hoping to get fully operational OS X so I will have to face this issue as well. For now I need to do some research about Clover sleeping problem and generally config Clover the way most appropriate for my hardware cause I set it up in rush.

I've got one quiestion about patching vbios. Which one will my Windows 8 use? I have Windows 8 and I am goin to install it in UEFI mode but my mobo is P8Z68 so - as far as I know - it doesn't have Fast Boot. I would prefer Windows to use legacy BIOS to be honest cause I will rather play games on windows and would like to have 'checked' solution. I know that probably I would be able to force Windows to boot with legacy bios just simply installing it as not-uefi but I'd like it to be uefi - hope I didn't complicate that sentence too much ^.^

Windows seems to use the EFI bios. I noticed it mainly because I had an increase in the base clock from 1000MHz to 1050MHz which I regard rather positively. Otherwise I didn't notice any changes and everything seems to run fine for several months now.

I can't say the same for OS X. It definitely utilizes the GOP driver in the booting stage somehow but ioreg will contain the legacy vbios. Sadly I didn't find any monitoring tool for the HD 7000 series yet, so I can't compare the clocks.

Your recent board's bios is rather new, I would give the Fast Boot thing a try if you are going to install Win8 in EFI mode anyway. It might work.

However, currently there is no solution for the sleep problem in uefi mode. In my experience, turning off the Compatibility Support Module (CMS) in bios solved a lot of instability problems.

• Like 1

Hi,

thanks a lot for the patched DSDT. Unfortunately I didn't feel any difference. - still no sleep in Chameleon but... As I said before I moved to Clover and with both - yours and mine - DSDT I can sleep and wake but only using iMac12,2 definition which is bad... really really bad. With this definition I have PM problems AGAIN. Which means my PC runs all the time at turbo mode (x48) and from time to time drops for about half a second to x16 - even when it's idle...

Generating P/CStates with Clover didn't help.

So for now I can have PM or Sleep... Difficult choice... ;/

@k3nny: I will get back to patching vbios later on ;D but on the web I read that Z68 boards doesnt support fast boot and in fact I don't have this option in my uefi bios. But as I said I'll get back to that later :)

Hi,

thanks a lot for the patched DSDT. Unfortunately I didn't feel any difference. - still no sleep in Chameleon but... As I said before I moved to Clover and with both - yours and mine - DSDT I can sleep and wake but only using iMac12,2 definition which is bad... really really bad. With this definition I have PM problems AGAIN. Which means my PC runs all the time at turbo mode (x48) and from time to time drops for about half a second to x16 - even when it's idle...

Generating P/CStates with Clover didn't help.

So for now I can have PM or Sleep... Difficult choice... ;/

@k3nny: I will get back to patching vbios later on ;D but on the web I read that Z68 boards doesnt support fast boot and in fact I don't have this option in my uefi bios. But as I said I'll get back to that later :)

For PM, download this: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/RevoBoot/tree/clang/i386/libsaio/acpi/Tools

and open ssdtPRGen.app. After the IASL download, it generates an SSDT automatically according to your CPU.

• Like 1

I already did that and many other things and nothing worked. - my fight with PM is HERE. Only changing system definition to MacBookPro8,3 worked for me but as mentioned above it kills PC's sleep ability...

EDIT: I also tried injecting Pstates section from MacBookPro8_3.plist into iMac12_2.plist inside IOPlatformPluginFamily>>ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin but no luck as well.

On which sys definition? On my PC using iMac12.2 it doesn't matter.

BTW yesterday I got total freeze and after force shutdown(reset button didn't work) Mac doesn't work anymore. - there is diode light up on my mobo marked as BOOT_DEVICE_LED. It boots veeery slow until FB-rotate and the screen stays blue "forever" I assume that maybe filesystem got damaged... Probably my fault cause I've been experimenting with OC and hadn't spent enought time to test new settings. Maybe this week I'll have time to reinstall all from scratch...

I just don't get it.

I reinstalled everything from scratch and now everything works... I can run MacBookPro8,3 definition and I've got both sleep and fully working PM. No freezes, even bt works. Only issue is USB3.0 but I don't really care about it :P

So again reinstallation solved all the problems. - to be honest probably trying to solve previous problems I made the ones I posted about above.

I've got one more question on another topic:

Did anyone try to install UEFI Windows 8 and OSX on the HDD? I failed trying to. It seems like GPT OSX uses is different GPT than Microsoft implemented. I partitioned my drive under Microsoft installator and OSX was unable to change anything in partition table. - Disk Utility just kept on sayin"Preparing to partition drive" or sth like that. Trying the same in opposite direction - partitioning under OSX and then installing Win8 cause Windows installator to claim that disk has MBR partition table... As far as I remember OSX use hybrid MBR/GPT and Windows is not really happy about that.

Thank you all for participation in this topic :)

PS. @k3nny I decided not to patch my vbios - my mobo doesnt have fast but and besides I usually will use sleep rather than shutdown so FBrotate shouldn't annoy me.

Got Win8 and ML on an SSD and this is the partition layout from Windows' diskpart:

DISKPART> lis par

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 System 200 MB 1024 KB

Partition 2 Reserved 128 MB 201 MB

Partition 3 Primary 42 GB 330 MB

Partition 4 Primary 76 GB 42 GB

That's the procedure I used a while ago:

1. Booted a FAT32 Win8 thumb drive via UEFI and manually partitioned the disk using cmd (Shift+F10 to open it).

1.1 diskpart, lis dis, sel dis <#>, clean, format gpt, create partition efi size=200, format quick fs=fat32, create partition msr size=128

(theoretically other sizes will work but Mac will complain later if efi is not exactly (or smaller than?) 200mb; also Win8 won't create any additional recovery partition this way).

1.2 Used the Win8 installation manager to create two NTFS partitions: One for Win8, the other for later Mac use.

2. Booted a dual partition Mac thumb drive with UEFI Clover on it.

2.1 Used Disk Utility to erase the second NTFS partition as HFS+ and used it for installation.

In case you need to restore the Win8 bootloader, you can use:

"bcdboot.exe c:\windows /s s: /f UEFI"

where c: is the win8- and s: the efi partition

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@k3nny: Thx a lot I've made fresh OSX and Win8 install on my Laptop - Asus U36SD - and used your mini-guide to install both systems in UEFI mode, everything works fine. :)

Thanks a lot!