WLAN Problem: with AR5BXB112

SeferGER

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have ordered an "Apple AR5BXB112 Mini PCIe Wireless LAN Karte Atheros AR9380" mPCI-e card from ebay and already received.

I thought it is working OOB with my OSX installation, but it doesn't...

Its not listed in Systeminformation or System preferences....

I will give you guys some facts

Lenovo Thinkpad T61

Typ: 7661-1GG

CPU: T7500

Display: 14.1in 1440x900 LCD

Graphics: 128MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M

Harddrive

Partition 1: Windows 8

Partition 2: OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3

I replaced my Intel 4965AGN card with the Atheros one.

Windows Information:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_ABCD&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_ABCD&SUBSYS_00000000

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_ABCD&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_ABCD

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_ABCD&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_ABCD&CC_0200

MAC-Address: 00:02:03:04:05:06

I think there is something wrong, isn't it?

best regards

Sefer

EDIT: middleton bios!

open this kext: and edit with device id of your card: System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_AtherosNewma40</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci168c,30</string>

<string>pci168c,2a</string>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,24</string>

</array>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>600</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

</dict>

hi,

I have done this before... Here is my current IO80211Family.kext .... Maybe i did something wrong.

Repaired with kext wiz after every change...

https://dl.dropboxus...Family.kext.zip

Use system info under osx to find your id hardware, because it's possible that it's wrong

Here, you download system info: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/219584-system-info-an-app-to-get-hardware-and-kexts-info/

hi,

I get this:

Ven ID: 168c

Vendor: Atheros Communication Inc.

Dev ID: abcd

Device: unknown device

Class: Network Controller

Subclass: Ethernet Controller

best regards

EDIT: This cant be a real card? I mean cmon. DevID abcd ??? Mac 00:02:03:04:05:06 ... Mother of cards

EDIT2: so confused :-( atleast lan is working now^^ but I cant get LAN at university

post-1157679-0-25478400-1366997429_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...

I have same exact card. It does work in Win 7 w/o a hitch using the drivers from atheros.cz and it’s super fast with my old N300 router (approx. 180 mb/s throughput)!

However I have not gotten it to work neither in Ubuntu 12.04 nor in OS X 10.8.3. It seems we need a device ID of 0x0030 to make the card work here as changing IO80211 kext in OS X to include the device ID makes no difference for some reason. I’m stumped.

Perhaps it is made during the “night shift” and sold out the back door? It’s got a weird MAC address and device ID for sure…

If anyone has any ideas… highly appreciated!

Cheers!

Good thought! However as far as what I have read so far the AR93xx series cannot be flashed. After doing some more research, I decided to go for a new card from a different vendor in the hope that not everyone sells the fake/questionable/not QA passed etc. ones. There are a few signs that there is definitively something wrong with the card: The only label it has looks sort of “home made”. It has no “CE” sticker on it and no MAC address printed on it. When hooked up it shows the same MAC address than the one the original poster has (and some other people on other boards!) – which should never happen, plus strange PID. And the MAC address begins with a non-existent manufacturer code (1st 3 octets). So either, it didn’t pass QA at some point, was never properly flashed and the values we’re seeing are the default values of the silicon, or something else happened to it. Who knows. That goes beyond my knowledge. The bottom line is the card is not an Apple Airport Extreme, which it was sold to me as. We’ll see what the next one does. Again thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought my WiFI card other the eBay. It was from Lenovo/IBM notebook. I've found it by searching for the same model as Apple uses. It may not necessary be Apple branded. You can make it Apple branded yourself :)

In fact there is much hype/speculations going on eBay with Apple products. Quite many fake items can be found.