[ASK] How to install kext and boot loader?

6 posts in this topic

I'm very happy now, i was succefully instal SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL version. But i need tutorial how to install kext and boot loader, because i must insert naw*com mod cd to boot to mac os x. So can you tell me how to install bootloader and kext? because my audio and vga doesn't work. (in google to many variant so i'm confused because if i install wrong kextx i'm always got Kernel Panic and i'm tired to ReInstall again from the beginning)

Here is my specification

INTEL DUAL CORE E5400

RAM 1 GB (2 PCS)

ATI RADEON 4650 DDR2 1GB

REALTEK ALC655

thanks before :)

NOTE : I was try with VOOODO HDA but if i install it, i got kernel panic

http://www.insanelym...ly-v-2-and-v-1/

http://www.insanelym...aller-binaries/

http://www.insanelym...-for-chameleon/

Just bother to search...

As for installing kexts, just copy the kext via terminal to either /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) or to /Extra/Extensions (depending on the kext some work from /E/E, some only from /S/L/E) and wait for the system to rebuild the kext cache. Then reboot (this is not always needed though).

sudo -s
(enter the password and press return/enter)
cp -R /Path/To/kext.kext /System/Library/Extensions
or
cp -R /Path/To/kext.kext /Path/To/Extra/Extensions

Sometimes a kext may not have the correct permissions set for it to work properly. Then before copying it to the above locations, you'd need to set permissions first.

sudo -s
(enter the password and press enter/return)
chmod -R 755 /Path/ToKext/NameOfThe.kext
chown -R root:wheel /Path/ToKext/NameOfThe.kext

VoodooHDA is well known to cause KPs. So it is not necessary due to it being installed incorrectly.

http://www.insanelym...ly-v-2-and-v-1/

http://www.insanelym...aller-binaries/

http://www.insanelym...-for-chameleon/

Just bother to search...

As for installing kexts, just copy the kext via terminal to either /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) or to /Extra/Extensions (depending on the kext some work from /E/E, some only from /S/L/E) and wait for the system to rebuild the kext cache. Then reboot (this is not always needed though).

sudo -s
(enter the password and press return/enter)
cp -R /Path/To/kext.kext /System/Library/Extensions
or
cp -R /Path/To/kext.kext /Path/To/Extra/Extensions

Sometimes a kext may not have the correct permissions set for it to work properly. Then before copying it to the above locations, you'd need to set permissions first.

sudo -s
(enter the password and press enter/return)
chmod -R 755 /Path/ToKext/NameOfThe.kext
chown -R root:wheel /Path/ToKext/NameOfThe.kext

VoodooHDA is well known to cause KPs. So it is not necessary due to it being installed incorrectly.

i got KP if install bootloader so i must insert nawcom mod cd to boot? please tell me what must i do?

There are few things you should know before installing OS X on a PC. Otherwise there could be issues you couldn't know how to deal with.

An Intel Mac and an Intel PC are similar things, at the same time there are few things that differ. Therefore installing OS X on a PC is not completely the same thing like installing Windows/Linux.

Windows/Linux are designed to run on MOST x86 compatible hardware. OS X is designed to run ONLY on Apple designed and produced x86 hardware. The main difference between a Mac and a PC is the BIOS/UEFI (in PCs) vs EFI (in Macs). Apple uses their own version of EFI which is not the same thing as BIOS or even UEFI. Also there is a SMC in Macs, which is not present in PCs.

In order to run OS X, the above two key things should be emulated. Chameleon does the EFI part (though it has other importanat functions as well), FakeSMC or AppleDecrypt does the SMC part (at least as much as needed to run OS X plus some other functions available via FakeSMC plugins). Chameleon as such consists not only from boot loader files, it also has:

• Configuration file(s) (org.chamelaon.Boot.plist, SMBIOS.plist)
  • Additional extensions (like the above FakeSMC)
  • Themes for the chameleon boot screen
  • System information/configuration files like DSDT.aml
  • Other optional stuff...

OS X will not boot/work if you install just the boot files without installing/configuring the rest. Booting from CD works because most (if not all) the above is present on the Mod CD. A properly installed and configured Chameleon or Clover should boot your OS X as good as a Mod CD does (if not better).

There are few things you should know before installing OS X on a PC. Otherwise there could be issues you couldn't know how to deal with.

An Intel Mac and an Intel PC are similar things, at the same time there are few things that differ. Therefore installing OS X on a PC is not completely the same thing like installing Windows/Linux.

Windows/Linux are designed to run on MOST x86 compatible hardware. OS X is designed to run ONLY on Apple designed and produced x86 hardware. The main difference between a Mac and a PC is the BIOS/UEFI (in PCs) vs EFI (in Macs). Apple uses their own version of EFI which is not the same thing as BIOS or even UEFI. Also there is a SMC in Macs, which is not present in PCs.

In order to run OS X, the above two key things should be emulated. Chameleon does the EFI part (though it has other importanat functions as well), FakeSMC or AppleDecrypt does the SMC part (at least as much as needed to run OS X plus some other functions available via FakeSMC plugins). Chameleon as such consists not only from boot loader files, it also has:

• Configuration file(s) (org.chamelaon.Boot.plist, SMBIOS.plist)
  • Additional extensions (like the above FakeSMC)
  • Themes for the chameleon boot screen
  • System information/configuration files like DSDT.aml
  • Other optional stuff...

OS X will not boot/work if you install just the boot files without installing/configuring the rest. Booting from CD works because most (if not all) the above is present on the Mod CD. A properly installed and configured Chameleon or Clover should boot your OS X as good as a Mod CD does (if not better).

this problem was solved, thanks for your description. I fix it by reinstall the mac with Nawcom Mod Boot CD 0.3.2 version. SO i now i can boot it without mod cd. But i got a problem here (after add device id my ATI 4650, i can't boot into mac)