[Guide] - Dell XPS 15z (L511z) - OS X Mountain Lion

isaac1234

40 posts in this topic

Hi GMVelencoso

10.8 works best but still no Wifi, LAN port is fine, there are some people with graphics issue where it goes all blocky. I upgraded to 10.9 and this is very fine but no wifi. Haven't tried HDMI.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news!! Good news!!

I've succeeded the following in my XPS 15z:

- Dual-booting Windows 8.1 & OS X (BIOS A12)

- Installing iAtkos ML2 & upgrading to 10.8.4, and booting WITHOUT npci=0x2000/3000, -x or -v flags

- MAX laptop screen brightness by modifying Intel kext

- Brightness adjust using F3/F4 keys

- HD3000 artifacts almost completely gone

- Sleep Enabled!

- 2-finger scrolling using ulysse31_revient's kext (refer to next post below this!)

- SSD TRIM support enabled

- Mic working!

- Generic USB3.0, Keyboard & Trackpad using Zenith123 & Rehabman's kexts

Almost everything above was done by DSDT patching, which I will describe using simple English on my blog, whenever I find time to set it up.

Still trying to complete the following:

- Porting all of the above to Mavericks 10.9 (well, iAtkOS 10.9 M is coming soon! keep checking iatkos.me)

- Nvidia GT525M & Optimus disable (since nvidia is useless and only consumes battery for the time being)

I will be sharing with all of you as soon as possible!

Hi all,

I have build my own kext for the cypress PS2 trackpad on my XPS 13. since i found no kext that brings tap to click and two fingers scroll, i decided to code one myself ^^.

So forked the sources of VoodooPS2Controller from rehabman and have integrated support for the cypress PS2 trackpad.

For now, it is still under dev, but seems to be crash free, features are really basic and mouse behaviour "primitive", but have a tap to click implementation and and a two fingers scroll.

You can check the source at :

https://code.google....trollercypress/

You can download a "release" (no debug) version on the homepage.

Will update it soon, when i would have time (maybe this week end).

Best regards to all,

--

Ulysse31

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have build my own kext for the cypress PS2 trackpad on my XPS 13. since i found no kext that brings tap to click and two fingers scroll, i decided to code one myself ^^.

So forked the sources of VoodooPS2Controller from rehabman and have integrated support for the cypress PS2 trackpad.

For now, it is still under dev, but seems to be crash free, features are really basic and mouse behaviour "primitive", but have a tap to click implementation and and a two fingers scroll.

You can check the source at :

https://code.google....trollercypress/

You can download a "release" (no debug) version on the homepage.

Will update it soon, when i would have time (maybe this week end).

Best regards to all,

--

Ulysse31

damn!! for real?!

I will test this right away!!

If you achieve 3 or 4-finger gestures, I will give a generous donation ;)

damn!! for real?!

I will test this right away!!

If you achieve 3 or 4-finger gestures, I will give a generous donation ;)

Lol ^^, It might be possible, but the cypress hardware is also limitating ...

One of the actions that is impossible is rotation, but for others ... it might be possible.

to enter in more technical  infos : with 2 fingers cypress sends two distinct coordinates (for each fingers), but with 3 to five, it sends only one finger coordinate, and this is limitated by firmware ...

Remember, i just started coding on this about 2 weeks ago, so, it steel a draft for now : all values are hardcoded, mouse is a little bit jerky (like it as taken a red bull : really speed), it will be better each new release.

I think i should create a new thread for that. gonna create a v2 with some improvements (no new features, just stabilize code and usability) and will create the thread then.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Well, I found something that may be jeopardizing the loading of your kext..!

During -v (verbose) loading screen, I found out the following message:

"your VoodooPS2.kext cannot be loaded. You already have a AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext which contains that class" or something.

I'm starting to think one of the 2:

a- My AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext is not compatible with your kext, or

b- I don't need AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext at all...

Can you suggest what to do, ulysse31_revient? Could you please provide your own AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, if you are loading it with your own VoodooPS2 kext?

Damn!! I fixed it!!!

Apple ACPIPS2Nub.kext is not needed!! I simply deleted it and your kext works like a charm!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I officially confirm it... We have 2-finger scrolling on our Cypress Trackpads!! :D

Dude, keep it up! Let's take it up to 4-fingers :) :) :)

How are you coding may I ask? Xcode?

Also, I've encountered the following bugs: (both versions 0.1 and 0.2)

- If I touch with 3 or 4 fingers, the touchpad then stops working, until I sleep and then recover the laptop, when it works again... maybe it's because the kext doesn't know what to do with these 3-4 finger registers.

- in version 0.2: no click with single tap (i have enabled clicking in system prefs, but still)

• Like 1

Well, I found something that may be jeopardizing the loading of your kext..!

During -v (verbose) loading screen, I found out the following message:

"your VoodooPS2.kext cannot be loaded. You already have a AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext which contains that class" or something.

I'm starting to think one of the 2:

a- My AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext is not compatible with your kext, or

b- I don't need AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext at all...

Can you suggest what to do, ulysse31_revient? Could you please provide your own AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, if you are loading it with your own VoodooPS2 kext?

Damn!! I fixed it!!!

Apple ACPIPS2Nub.kext is not needed!! I simply deleted it and your kext works like a charm!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I officially confirm it... We have 2-finger scrolling on our Cypress Trackpads!! :D

Dude, keep it up! Let's take it up to 4-fingers :) :) :)

How are you coding may I ask? Xcode?

Also, I've encountered the following bugs: (both versions 0.1 and 0.2)

- If I touch with 3 or 4 fingers, the touchpad then stops working, until I sleep and then recover the laptop, when it works again... maybe it's because the kext doesn't know what to do with these 3-4 finger registers.

- in version 0.2: no click with single tap (i have enabled clicking in system prefs, but still)

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, (got a lot of non-computer related work this weekend), Thanks for the bug report.

Forgot to specify but since it is a fork of rehabman 1.8.8 VoodooPS2Controller kext, you don't need AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext it is already inside.

for your trackpad, can you give me the cypress firmware version you have ? it should appear on dmesg (sudo dmesg) or in your system logs.

For the system prefs, i know :s since values are for now hardcoded, no parameters from the system prefs is used, need to bind it.

I have some ideas in how implement 3 and 4 fingers, working on it already, but since i do this on my spare time, don't expect a quick release ...

For the coding, well, i'm may be old school but i use a terminal emacs and makefile ^^. Xcode is nice but i'm really used to terminal/emacs.

PS: thanks for all people at insanelymac, I was first posting on a thread on tonymac related to my computer (xps 13 l322x ) but they banned me just because i have a link to donation on my project homepage ... this is stupid since they also have one on the tonymac main page ... i suppose it is a way for them to get all donations (since they will incorporate the kexts they want on there *beast release ...) ... from now on I won't post there anyway.

Hi again,

@stathismes : so, if i understood well, the version 0.1, gives you tap, but not v0.2 ? can you confirm me that ? it seems that a lot of people using 15z tells me that they do not have tap at all ... so if the v0.1 gived you the tap, need to check the svn diffs ...

Thanks,

--

Ulysse31

I have posted a new version (v0.3) of my kext for cypress touchpad, you will find sourcecode and a release kext available for download at :

https://code.google.com/p/voodoops2controllercypress/

it seems that on some computers tap to click does not work on v0.2, those that would like to help please PM me, i will send them a debug kext to get logs from it.

Actual Features:

- basic tap to click
- basic two fingers scrolling (no smooth momentum)
- 3 fingers tap/window move/select (v0.3 only)
- 4 fingers swipe: need to have in keyboard input set shortcut to control+command+[up/down/left/right] (v0.3 only)

From now on, i will post updates about my kext dev under this topic :

Cheers to all,

--
Ulysse31

Hi again,

@stathismes : so, if i understood well, the version 0.1, gives you tap, but not v0.2 ? can you confirm me that ? it seems that a lot of people using 15z tells me that they do not have tap at all ... so if the v0.1 gived you the tap, need to check the svn diffs ...

Thanks,

--

Ulysse31

Actually, no, I didn't have tap with v0.1!

I will check your new version!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know of a guide I can follow to install iAtkos ML2 or vanilla Maverick on the L511z?

I downloaded iAtkos ML2 on my windows computer, and I used Transmac to create an imagine out of it on a 8GB USB.

I plug it into the eSATA port, but it says "Operating System not found"

Good news!! Good news!!

I've succeeded the following in my XPS 15z:

- Dual-booting Windows 8.1 & OS X (BIOS A12)

- Installing iAtkos ML2 & upgrading to 10.8.4, and booting WITHOUT npci=0x2000/3000, -x or -v flags

- MAX laptop screen brightness by modifying Intel kext

- Brightness adjust using F3/F4 keys

- HD3000 artifacts almost completely gone

- Sleep Enabled!

- 2-finger scrolling using ulysse31_revient's kext (refer to next post below this!)

- SSD TRIM support enabled

- Mic working!

- Generic USB3.0, Keyboard & Trackpad using Zenith123 & Rehabman's kexts

Almost everything above was done by DSDT patching, which I will describe using simple English on my blog, whenever I find time to set it up.

Still trying to complete the following:

- Porting all of the above to Mavericks 10.9 (well, iAtkOS 10.9 M is coming soon! keep checking iatkos.me)

- Nvidia GT525M & Optimus disable (since nvidia is useless and only consumes battery for the time being)

I will be sharing with all of you as soon as possible!

Waiting for your detail guide of installing iatkos ML2. My instal stuck in "black screen" when it passed everything . Please help!

Update: I can login to the main window without DSDT.aml (in the first post), so the problem is: my screen resolution is only 1366x768 so I can not use this DSDT. Please help me how to patch this DSDT to low resolution!

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I got Niresh's Mavericks to boot on my L511z.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295536-wip-maverick-on-dell-xps-15z-l511z/

I did not have to do anything that involves DSDT.

The downfall I have right now is:

1) My harddrive has 4k sectors instead of 512, so I needed to do the boot1h patch

2) Even after that, it doesn't boot properly if disk0 is the only available boot device, so I have to have a windows install disk in there at all times

Other than that, it is perfectly functional with sound, wifi (swapped in my DW1510)

I understand that there's solutions for the trackpad and whatnot. I have not tried them yet, but I may get around to it. However I am using a USB mouse day to day so it is not a priority for me.