HD 7xxx-Can we eliminate the Sleep Trick?

eep357

188 posts in this topic

Sadly I cannot say what exactly resolves it.. I can just tell you that for me using the components in my signature with Clover UEFI and a hybrid vbios was the solution. However I read other unsuccessful reports with similar hardware combinations.

@Samawa:

You will need to use Clover UEFI. Additionally either its GraphicsEnalber or a DSDT modification.

If you decide to edit your DSDT, just change "ATY,DeviceID" and "model" according to an earlier post to match the values of your card.

@Fab1Man:

I can modify your vbios if you upload it.

On a side note, I don't know how Mac handles all the new efi stuff. ioreg still contains the legacy part, even if I disable legacy support in bios.

Windows 8 on the other hand seems to use the efi part with all its settings including clocks and voltages.

@k3nny:

This would be the right one: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/117406/Sapphire.HD7970.3072.120207.html

Since it has dual bios, they recently released themselves a GHz edition, although the video outputs differ (no mDP for example). I can always try and report back if they both work. Therefore anyone else could use it, as an OC edition:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/125085/Sapphire.HD7970.3072.120717.html

AMD also released an update for reference designed once. I actually think this will work better as I think mine is referenced:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/123523/Sapphire.HD7970.3072.120628.html

It worked!!! I got the grey screen with clover, hit the power button and bam! i got the desktop screen instantly!!!

For some reason, i only have one usb port working, but i am guessing its the asmedia usb 3.0 driver acting up! will post benchmarks momentarily.

Thanks k3nny!

You misunderstood me, you can get past the grey screen with your old vbios using this trick.

Optimally you should not have to do it with the new vbios, though.

What would be interesting is the motherboard you are using and if you start Clover in real UEFI mode.

For anyone wanting to flash EFI, mobo will need to be UEFI for it to work. Sadly, mine is old school BIOS only.

Okay, so I've been trying hard to follow this but I still can't seem to get my 7870 to work on my r2e x58 board.

I just flashed with hybrid vbios but that didn't change anything for me, presumably because i'm on a legacy/non-efi board (r2e).

What do I need to do to get it to work?

This is my understanding, from the beginning:

1. Be on 10.8.3

2. Use clover basically if you have a uefi board

2a. Use Chimara with sleep trick otherwise? - Sleep trick doesn't work for me because my system doesn't sleep.

3. Use (if on Clover with efi vbios, but no dsdt.aml) GraphicsInjector=Yes, LoadVBios=Yes FBName=Aji VideoPorts=4

Could someone correct me where I am wrong?

Also, something interesting that I tried was adding dev id 6819 to ati7000controller.kext/info.plist. This has given me the "white screen" that I think is the same as other people are seeing, whereat I should be able to do the sleep trick(?) and it would work but again my system won't sleep and I gave up on that a long time ago haha.

Thank you all. This is an awesome thread with some great people on here.

you need to get sleep to work. period.

So you're saying Chimera MBR USB boot, no tricky options and just try sleep /resume and that should work?

Thanks for your help. I'm going to get on that right now.

• Like 1

My observations so far:

- Clover UEFI with or without Compatibility Support Module (CSM): works

- letting Clover handle the GPU injection: works (or use the properties below)

- Clover EFI: doesn't work

- using a legacy VBIOS: doesn't work

Hi k3nny, apparently hybrid VBiOS is required when using Clover UEFI. However, I wonder what did you mean it does not work with Clover EFI (legacy booting). Is it just black screen / can't reach Clover GUI ?

Because currently I'm struggling with my Sapphire HD 7870 XT and all tries (UEFi and Legacy) give me no GUI on monitor though backlight is on. Anyway, It's not happened with Chameleon where I can boot further before it hangs on framebuffer.

Thanks...

Hi k3nny, apparently hybrid VBiOS is required when using Clover UEFI. However, I wonder what did you mean it does not work with Clover EFI (legacy booting). Is it just black screen / can't reach Clover GUI ?

Because currently I'm struggling with my Sapphire HD 7870 XT and all tries (UEFi and Legacy) give me no GUI on monitor though backlight is on. Anyway, It's not happened with Chameleon where I can boot further before it hangs on framebuffer.

Thanks...

OK.... To use hybrid EFI VBIOS, you need both UEFI capable mobo and Clover both in EFI mode, so no standard legacy BIOS is in the mix. I suggest getting it working normally first, because if it doesn't work with regular BIOS and sleep trick, it's not going to work in UEFI/EFI either.

OK.... To use hybrid EFI VBIOS, you need both UEFI capable mobo and Clover both in EFI mode, so no standard legacy BIOS is in the mix. I suggest getting it working normally first, because if it doesn't work with regular BIOS and sleep trick, it's not going to work in UEFI/EFI either.

Hi, my mobo is already UEFI capable. And I know when k3nny wrote 'Clover EFI', he meant legacy booting (not UEFI). I just wanted to know what the symptom when we don't have hybrid EFI VBIOS.

@eep357:

Thanks for reminding, I added some more info to my previous post on page 4.

@cm0s:

The sleep trick will always work if you set up things correctly, regardless of your boot manager or boot mode.

@fau7i:

It would be great if you can delete the quote from your previous post to avoid confusion, thanks.

The difference between the two vbios version is that with efi you will additionally have an option to boot your system in uefi mode which Clover can utilize.

You should be able to see Clover's GUI in any way with the right settings.

@fau7i:

It would be great if you can delete the quote from your previous post to avoid confusion, thanks.

The difference between the two vbios version is that with efi you will additionally have an option to boot your system in uefi mode which Clover can utilize.

You should be able to see Clover's GUI in any way with the right settings.

Oh sorry if the quote is confusing.

I just couldn't figure it out why Clover failed (black screen / no GUI) when my HD 7870 in slot, not Chameleon. I also have no problem booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu in UEFI with this card. Definitely this is the wrong place to discuss about Clover, but when seeing your success passing the sleep trick with Clover, It would be nice to stay with it. It doesn't matter if the card has no hybrid EFI VBios to embrace Ultra/Super Fast Boot, as you know we still can boot UEFI with Clover.

I've just made it works with Chameleon + sleep trick.

It doesn't matter if the card has no hybrid EFI VBios to embrace Ultra/Super Fast Boot, as you know we still can boot UEFI with Clover.

For me it did matter and I had to use the trick with a normal vbios.

Most probably it was the Secure Boot setting which will block everything besides Windows boot loader from starting. It could be called differently on Asrock.

Most probably it was the Secure Boot setting which will block everything besides Windows boot loader from starting. It could be called differently on Asrock.

It has the option to disable 'Secure Boot' but still no success :(

Maybe I would send a request for hybrid EFI VBios to Sapphire.

And FYI, my HD 7870 XT works with AtiConfig=Chutoro.

Hi,

How can I know which FBName or ATiConfig I should use?

Thanks.

You might get the idea from here > http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=282787&view=findpost&p=1853099

In my case, i did a bit differently (maybe wrong method). First, i looked at the number of ports, then type of connectors (dvi/hdmi/dsub/dp etc). So, i tried Aji but not injected. I checked in ioregistryexplorer, i found only 2 that listed there (Chutoro and Hamachi).

k3nny I must thank you!

I have a MSI R7850 hawk 1G and I do as you do.

I flash the UEFI BIOS from MSI forum. Boot with MotherBoard&Video UEFI BIOS ON.

FBName Aji and 4 Ports is alright.

Now I can eliminate the sleep trick!

fau7i I must thank you, too.